So.... I put pods on my CBX and....

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

So.... I put pods on my CBX and....

Post by RJ CB650 »

I dunno what the big debate is, look good to me and work great?

Trolllolllol! :D

That aside, my CBX I have been giving a good go-over. Somebody relocated the clock to a hole on the right there. Since the hole was cut into the fairing, I couldn't move it back to the original gauge location. Picked up autometer oil pressure and ammeter to fill the holes. Ammeter is higher than is needed, (60 amp all they got for sweep) but is fine by me. Can change to a different gauge or style later.

Problem was, in behind, there is a bracket and aftermarket gauges would not clear it. To make em fit, I needed to make myself some 20 degree angled gauge pods. Turned out better than I thought they would. That is just a dry fit so still need to clean and properly lock em in!

CCrider
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: So.... I put pods on my CBX and....

Post by CCrider »

Looks good.
Good job!!

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

I like them too!-Mike

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I forgot to add how I made them!

Total cost to make the pair of pods, $2

Yup, just two bucks. Of course the gauges cost alot more than that. The pods themselves are actually a 2" PVC pipe coupler that was cut on the angle to make the matching pair.

To lock them in, I took a strip of scrap thinner gauge metal I had. Think was from an electrical box. Drilled a hole in one end, then bent at 20 degrees. By rotating the bracket, it uses the gauge mount to pull in gauge and lock the pods.

Riding season will be over within a couple months here and it won't be seeing rain. Come winter, I will find some material to make gaskets in behind. The gauges themselves are 2 1/16" autometer gauges. The oil pressure gauge of course is a very important thing, but was a trick to plumb in. I will grab picture later of how I did that to make it look neat and fit proper. is still iffy, might pick up some specialized fittings to improve it.

The Ammeter, obviously the CBX never hits 60 amps. But is still very nice to be able to observe my charging system. While doesn't even come close to making use of full sweep, real time knowing that you are charging without over/undercharging on these old Hondas is something I have wanted. It did require lots of careful planning to install without having to modify factory components and to have it 100% reversible if need be. However, I do make use of a conversion I did on my other bikes to eliminate the problematic dog bone fuse. Will also grab pics of that tomorrow. Again, best part is you do not need to cut or modify a single OEM part. The OEM all just plugs in to convert from a dogbone to blade style main fuse link.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

So the oil pressure connection. Needed a metric to IPT adapter, then a 45 just to connect the fittings. Tee with elbow on one side for the mechanical gauge, and other side pressure switch.

The electrical swap is pretty simple. I pop the two live leads off the solenoid and put them in a new connector. Off the positive terminal I run the fuse holder to replace the link, then I tie into a split line for positive connector. The loop is so I can pull the fuse housing without kinking the wire.

Lastly, the amazingly well built ugly seat. I need a dual sport style since I am too tall to sit comfortably in that one if I tuck down at all. Just sits too far forward.

harrimansat
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by harrimansat »

Mine, made today!

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”