Yes or No Questions

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Brian G
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Yes or No Questions

Post by Brian G »

Hi All -

I don't want to take up any more of your time than I must, so these two questions can be answered 'yes' or 'no' and I appreciate the guidance.

1) Is the 'Screw, Oval' that secures the speedometer cable into the drive gear a left-hand thread? Mine's seized and I don't want to destroy it.
2) When fitting progressive fork springs, the more tightly wound end is the lower end, right?

I should know this stuff... :oops:

Thanks and Regards
1969 BSA Rocket 3
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1977 Yamaha XS650D Cafe
1978 Honda CB550K
1979 Honda CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Yes or No Questions

Post by daves79x »

1) No
2) Can't remember either - doesn't really matter.

Dave

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

With respect to seized screws, I find the little Makita impact driver equipped with JIS cross-head bits works wonders. So does anti-seize compound, but that works only after you reassemble. In any event, don't use Phillips screwdrivers; they usually just make a mess of JIS screws.

Last edited by asacuta on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Al

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

No and no, the tightly wound coils go to the top.-Mike

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Having just received my Progressive Springs the other day, the instruction sheet states.....

"Mechanically, it makes no difference which way the springs are installed. Some manuals will state; install the spring
with the close wound end towards the bottom. This is done because sometimes there is less spring noise. The springs
will perform exactly the same regardless of which direction they are placed."

PC
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

Sharpie66 wrote:Having just received my Progressive Springs the other day, the instruction sheet states.....

"Mechanically, it makes no difference which way the springs are installed. Some manuals will state; install the spring
with the close wound end towards the bottom. This is done because sometimes there is less spring noise. The springs
will perform exactly the same regardless of which direction they are placed."

PC
That's good. I was wondering why the laws of physics wouldn't apply to progressive springs.
Al

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Cool, at motorcycle service and technology school, most close wound spring went to the top. Nice to know you can still teach an old dog a new trick!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Putting the close wind to the top decreases the unsprung weight, ever so slightly. As if that really matters here. :o

BTW, we're back from our little excursion to the far north.........
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Rick Pope wrote:Putting the close wind to the top decreases the unsprung weight, ever so slightly.

What's the reasoning behind that, Rick? :?: ....and welcome back from the North Country .., where the winds hit heavy, on the borderline :D :D

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The wheel assembly is unsprung weight. The bottom of the spring rises and falls with the wheel, so, putting the tighter wind (heavy end) at the bottom would increase the unsprung weight. But of course, as the wheel rises over a bump, the whole spring is somewhat in motion, so any difference would be slight. Lighter valve caps might make more difference. :lol:

It's good to be back with a solid internet connection. They were many days where we had no cell coverage, and more when we had it for only a few minutes as we'd pass through a small village. That said, being without the technology is refreshing, for a while.

It's a long way to Alaska from Indiana. It was about 2400 miles to the start of the Alaska Highway, and it's over 1400 miles long.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Rick Pope wrote: It's good to be back with a solid internet connection. They were many days where we had no cell coverage, and more when we had it for only a few minutes as we'd pass through a small village. That said, being without the technology is refreshing, for a while.

It's a long way to Alaska from Indiana. It was about 2400 miles to the start of the Alaska Highway, and it's over 1400 miles long.
You have to do better than that Farmer Rick :evil: We need at least 500 words and maybe a few photos. Did you drive that unholy union of a semi and an RV? Something else?

Felicia and I are off to Alaska next week ourselves, but we are doing the Alaska Marine Highway route from Seattle (Bellingham), up the coast on the ferry to Juneau, and then via seaplane out to one of the barrier islands where my brother has a camp. Should be a gas.

:text-thankyouyellow: in advance for your trip report.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The 500 words is not a problem. But try as I might, I can't get photos to post. Some day I'll have one of the grandkids show me.

BTW, I did some scouting for a CBX rally in the Glacier NP, and Banff/Jasper areas.
Rick Pope

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

We had the ICOA 2000 World Rally in Calgary/Banff. I have some pictures somewhere. I also have the hat.
Al

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Rick Pope wrote:The 500 words is not a problem. But try as I might, I can't get photos to post. Some day I'll have one of the grandkids show me.

BTW, I did some scouting for a CBX rally in the Glacier NP, and Banff/Jasper areas.

Email me the photos and I will tuck them into your post where it looks like they belong. Or call me up on some boring evening and I will give you a 10-minute tutorial.

If there's a CBX ride up in that neck, best have a car running SAG with gas cans. The distances can get a little lonely as you know. Gorgeous country. Did you happen to pass through Frank, Alberta on your trip? If you recall a funny area where the Trans Canada Highway snaked through a debris field of house-sized boulders, that was it. Amazing (horrifying) story:

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/e ... error.html

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Slide

for the low-down.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote:
and maybe a few photos. Did you drive that unholy union of a semi and an RV? Something else?

N.
Rick sent me this photo which was taken during a re-fueling stop.....at the Alaska Pipeline :D :D :D

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”