Removing front axle from wheel? [resolved]

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Removing front axle from wheel? [resolved]

Post by RJ CB650 »

Thanks for the assist guys. Was what I figured, stopped by on my lunch break and we got it off without any issue.

"1982 CBX, pretty straight forward dropping the wheel assembly out. I was needing new front tire so took in whole assembly and new tire to be mounted. Mounting it wasn't an issue and the service called about the axle since they couldn't seem to loosen the locking nut to get it out, they think it might be seized and didn't want to force it. Is there a trick or common issue with the axle? Right now they cannot balance due to the issue. They also recognized and understood that it is from an old bike so didn't want to do anything that could wreck it. I said will take as is, and if I can get out, would bring it back for the balance.

Other option, internal balancing? I haven't trusted or used, but what about other guys, any problems with internal balancing bead things? Bike won't be piling the mileage, but I won't ride without a balanced front wheel, but also don't want to wreck the axle if there is an issue with the locking nut collar seized up."
Last edited by RJ CB650 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Urgent! Removing front axle from wheel?

Post by tevan »

There is no trick. Just put some good wrenches on it. Use of 6 point sockets would be a plus and do not use open end wrenchs. I presume you have manual. Maybe somebody used loctite so you might use some heat with a heatgun on the nut side. If you do end up screwing it up the axle and nut is always available here or on ebay. :twocents-02cents: Good luck.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You have to use a 17mm open end wrench on the speedo drive side to hold it. Elongated nut side is probably a 22 or 24mm - I always just use a Crescent wrench. They can be extraordinarily tight. As mentioned, heat would help. You HAVE to get it apart for any future service - shocked they got the tire mounted with the axle in place.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

The shop I go to has pretty good tools that grab by outer. As for tools, you name it, I probably got it. Just wanted to make sure there were no hidden pins etc.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

RJ CB650 wrote: As for tools, you name it, I probably got it. .
You have a set of piston return spring pliers? :?:

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Removing front axle from wheel? [resolved]

Post by RJ CB650 »

Yuppers. Got a tool collection a couple generations old now, from the latest diagnostic computers to some a hundred years old. (Which I still use)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm more in the Vic World mold - I do everything out of a couple of pretty small toolboxes.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

daves79x wrote:I'm more in the Vic World mold - I do everything out of a couple of pretty small toolboxes.

Dave
Ha Ha, I do that to. Many small toolboxes.... some of them inside the big boxes. Is just the way my family has always worked. Right tool for the job, and if you cannot get the right tool, make it!

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”