engine earth and battery earth

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

engine earth and battery earth

Post by neilx7 »

Hi,
can some tell me were the engine is earthed and were the earth lead from the battery goes.
when i stripped the bike down cant remember were the earth from the battery goes and i can find the cable now anyway :(

cheers
Neil

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: engine earth and battery earth

Post by NobleHops »

neilx7 wrote:Hi,
can some tell me were the engine is earthed and were the earth lead from the battery goes.
when i stripped the bike down cant remember were the earth from the battery goes and i can find the cable now anyway :(

cheers
Neil

Neil have a look at this (click for larger image). This is my '80 coming apart.

Cable goes from battery negative to the rear-most of the starter mounting bolts.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by neilx7 »

Hi Nils,

that is great thank you just what i was after cant beat a picture.
looks like a bit of work ahead of you there.
started mine yesterday only to find a major oil leak from the front above the the cam tensioner, i must have damaged the gasket when installing cam chain, so it off with the head again and a new gasket,but the main think is it started first time after i had total strip down of the bike and a rebuilt the carbs myself.

cheers
neil

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Neil:

Click on Nils' link at the bottom of his post - you'll see how the pictured bike turned out. He has another one in the starting gate now.

Dave

neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by neilx7 »

very nice better than when it was new :-)
a lot of time and money spent on it i bet.

neil

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

neilx7 wrote:very nice better than when it was new :-)
a lot of time and money spent on it i bet.

neil
Thank you kindly. It was a labor of love as they all are. As Dave said I have another one queued up and I will tear into it in earnest over the "winter" (such as it is here). There are a bunch of reference shots in that gallery - I will do that again a lot more carefully this next go-round to try and create a good reference, but hopefully you find some useful stuff in there now. For sure, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, and if you REALLY want help to come out of the woodwork, learn how to post photos :-)

N.
Nils Menten

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Ahh, the mystic formation of spare parts! I currently am working on fuel lines for my CBX. Unlike Neil, I actually prefer fluff and buff, only cleaning, and avoid restoring any part unless it is for preservation of the part. Example is fuel tanks, or if rust is showing in frame.

In my case, the CBX was in great original condition, except there was some owner in recent past who thought they knew better and did bad work. Has a crappy signal light flasher, not sure if that has to be replaced. They had pulled out the air shutoff valve for the fuel and used vacuum line in place of fuel line :x. Needless to say, I cannot find a proper CBX shutoff at this time, so am making up a new fuel system using a shutoff from a CB900ss.

But since you have it all apart, be sure to use proper electrical cleaner and dielectric grease on all connections. I am having to replace the rectifier due to corrosion in it's ground causing overcharge wrecking the battery, and overheating the rectifier.

OH, IMPORTANT RECOMMENDATION!

Throw away (or put in a box) all those aluminum wire/line holders. If you get scrape in your paint or somehow expose the metal, those clips will start rusting your frame out bad. Every old honda (aside from my CBX) had bad rust formation at those clips.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Not quite sure about a couple of things:

Not sure the regulator/rectifier needs grounded at all to work.

Not sure how aluminum clamps contribute to bare metal rusting.

But anyway, carry on.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

RJ CB650 wrote: They had pulled out the air shutoff valve for the fuel a Needless to say, I cannot find a proper CBX shutoff at this time, so am making up a new fuel system using a shutoff from a CB900ss.

Not sure if I am thinking about the same part, but the air shut-off valve in the carb is readily available. Ebay is one place.

Bob Franzke:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CBX-Carb- ... 79&vxp=mtr

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

daves79x wrote:Not quite sure about a couple of things:

Not sure the regulator/rectifier needs grounded at all to work.

Not sure how aluminum clamps contribute to bare metal rusting.

But anyway, carry on.

Dave
The ground is how excess voltage is discharged, at least in ye older non-clutch alternators. In terms of wiring, etc, is identical to my other bikes.

The corrosion, galvanic reaction. My nighthawk is a prime example. No frame rust except for surface rust rings where each clamp was. Even in protected areas like under the tank. Bit of moisture and some exposed metal, just seems to explode. Could be co-incidence, but I do not believe in co-incidence.
EMS wrote:
Not sure if I am thinking about the same part, but the air shut-off valve in the carb is readily available. Ebay is one place.
Oop, not the rebuild kit, but the actual air/fuel valve itself. I will upload a picture of the assembly after i took it off to show the terrible non fuel line and the air shut off having been removed. This thing:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You need to be acquainted with Louis Mintrone aka "Louis" (usedcbxparts.com) and Terry, aka Tevan. Louis will sell you as many "autovalves" (in CBX-speak) as you desire, and Terry might have one too.

N.
Nils Menten

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

NobleHops wrote:You need to be acquainted with Louis Mintrone aka "Louis" (usedcbxparts.com) and Terry, aka Tevan. Louis will sell you as many "autovalves" (in CBX-speak) as you desire, and Terry might have one too.

N.
Oh the horror! Is like Tennessee CBX Massacre there! When i do winter service, I might grab one. Until then, will stick with the overly complex CB900 end. Getting a bit off topic from electrical grounds however. But to the original post, be sure to have that valve. Never heard of one causing a problem (unless vacuum line goes, easy fix) but have heard many times not having one causing serious problems (one evening of forgetting it means you are pulling plugs and getting fuel out of cylinders and crankcase, or worse, start it up and enjoy engine rebuild)

If you have stuff off, go pick up some new fuel line anyways, cheap insurance.

Edit: How I have it planned to work essentially will come off the tank, and do a gradual 180 degree rotation into the fuel shutoff. The output will follow the input line, into a tee, then to both cylinders. Had to commit heresy and take the saw to the original 900 bracket plus a bit of bending, but have it so it should look like it's original. While I would have liked to have tracked down OEM, I am more concerned with reliability and function for my bikes, plus a long weekend here for me so hope to have her back on the road monday.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”