Clarification on 1982 fairing and gauges

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Clarification on 1982 fairing and gauges

Post by RJ CB650 »

So doing the prep work on my CBX after picking it up and was looking at the fairing gauges. Somebody past did some modifications for touring, and looks like was changes here as well.

What I have is the left gauge in the fairing section is an air pressure gauge which I can only assume is connected to rear suspension somehow. Right one is a cheapish seeming thermometer. The clock is located in the sloped section above the right side. I am assuming that a hole was made for it. Looking at pics, it appears the fairing should have a clock, and what I think is oil temp? CMSNL parts diagrams don't seem to show unless I missed seeing it. Either way, it has ports for three and the air pressure gauge one would be handy if it works. The temp gauge should probably go for a new temp gauge if it is oil temp. Where is the oil temp sending unit found if so?

I meant to take a pic, but forgot so when in garage tomorrow, will take one to show better.

Second note of modification to the fairing is this opaque black wind deflector. Anybody know anything about it? Is stamped Gen electric and DOT.

Lastly, there was some bad bits of work, but at least they left the delivery stickers on the gauges. You can see the air pressure gauge just in top of pic.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Clarification on 1982 fairing and gauges

Post by daves79x »

The only accessory gauges Honda supplied were red-faced clock, air temp and altimeter. Only 2 of the three fit in the fairing - you picked. There is no factory oil temp sending unit. If you want a gauge for that - you have to adapt one. Looks like everything you have there is aftermarket, or at least not standard CBX accessory.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have a hard time believing the pressure gauge is for the rear suspension. Are you sure, it is air pressure?
The windshield is aftermarket. General Electric made "Lexan", the material. There are several aftermarket windshields available. They are the same for most Hondaline fairings, not necessarily unique to the CBX.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

EMS wrote:I have a hard time believing the pressure gauge is for the rear suspension. Are you sure, it is air pressure?
The windshield is aftermarket. General Electric made "Lexan", the material. There are several aftermarket windshields available. They are the same for most Hondaline fairings, not necessarily unique to the CBX.
I was thinking that about the screen after, possibly even something somebody made to match original. But it looks nice and I have other bikes for regular riding, this is my special occasion, nice day cruises and show bike, but not a sit for months on end without being looked at.

I havent tested the rear and front suspension yet. That will be tonight. It is a pressure gauge and not atmospheric.... Course I could still be crazy after the miles I had to pile up on the truck getting it.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I would think, if someone goes through the effort to add a pressure gauge, it would be engine oil pressure. Did you check, if your pressure sender has been modified and incorporates a sender for an analog instrument? The range of the dial would fit.

As far as the windshield is concerned, there is hardly a Prolink out there that is being ridden regularly, that still has an original Hondaline windshield. Many have been changed to higher profile designs or tinted varieties. After all, they don't last forever, and when they needed to be replaced, owners usually look for an alternative to the stock screen. Nothing wrong with that.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

I have been checking it by steps. There is the usual signs of somebody working on it a bit beyond their means. Stuff from before the person I bought it from. Yesterday was entirely core electrics inspection because the main power relay/fuse link was put in backwards with the link facing inwards, as well as the battery backwards so somebody modified the brake cable so it would connect with the battery in the wrong way. Got all that fixed now. I guess it could be oil pressure as well. I am holding out digging into the fairing right now, but it will need to be checked out either way since that useless temp gauge is coming off for sure. It vibrates the needle just pushing the bike. I plan on getting a proper, quality oil temp gauge for that location instead provided I can find a place to properly fit in a sending unit.

Since I mentioned the electrical tests, I will just ask if the following sounds correct. Ignition on, but without bike running or cranking, 9.4 (approx) amps draw when measured from battery positive bridging to relay?

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Okay, did a proper check of the pressure gauge, as you guys suspected, is oil pressure gauge. I was looking at the air suspension when picking it up, and am so used to sealed up-non oil cooling systems, that the thought of an oil pressure gauge simply skipped my mind. It wasn't connected though :s

Essentially there was about 16" of line from the gauge running to nowhere, but it had oil in it so was connected at some point, now I need to figure out where it had gone.... The temperature gauge was just glued to the insert for the fairing. Now comes the new pondering that I want to ask your guy's opinion on. Either way, I will need to put something proper back into those holes. From my experience, pressure and temp gauges are good to have so most probably I will install wide sweep mechanical (for reduced profile at tee) temperature and pressure gauges for the oil provided I can get a takeoff before the cooler without issue. Hopefully I can make use of however that junky pressure gauge was attached. But issue is that I need 2-1/16" holes for the gauge company I prefer, but the default fairing holes are 2-1/4" abouts.

The existing pressure gauge clip should still be usable. Remove old, and insert new, but the temperature one, I might be able to save and if the uncut ones are hard to come by, I would like to leave it intact. I am looking for other options as well. Are there actual inserts designed for this fairing for receiving gauges? Those flimsy plastic clip in things I just do not think cut it.

Edit: Been searching, but what pressure does the oil run at? Have two gauge options, 100 or 200 psi, never looked into my bikes pressures before....

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”