Benelli 750

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Benelli 750

Post by Mello »

Our local classic bike club meets on the first Sunday of every month reasonably close to me. The venue has become a good spot for bikers to meet after a run so there is quite a varied collection of bikes there these days. In previous years, they focussed more on the British bikes and to a lesser extent on Euro bikes. In recent years, Japanese classics have been on the rise with some really great examples being brought back to their former glory.

A mate and I went through last sunday (a last minute decision). Amongst some great bikes there was a fantastic Suzuki GT750 2 stroke which drew a large crowd when the owner fired her up .... oh, the smell of 2 stroke .......

Also spotted was this Benelli Sei
20140601_112457.jpg
There were 2 other CBX's apart from mine, a great looking Perseus Silver '79 and this red one in original but rough shape.
20140601_114758.jpg
From memory, there were: a couple of Yamaha TZR's, a beaut Z1000, Bimota, variuos old and new BMW's, Ducati 916SPS (the one with the white tail), some newer Ducati's, a smattering of BSA's including a Gold star, Truimph thruxtons and Bonnevilles (new and original versions), some Velocettes, a few cafe racers, a number of modern litre sport bikes. Dula purpose bikes are really popular here and these were there too - KTM 1190's, BMW GS's, Triumph Explorer, Ducati Multi's

Unfortunaltey, i only got these 2 pics before I was acosted by another mate I hadn't seen in sometime - he is a Velo fan and was there on his recently restored Venom. I have a 1929 Velocette Model U 2 stroke that I am trying to ressurect but am missing some vital parts. We got to chatting about that and I got some possible leads for parts I need to follow up.

REally bumed I didn't get a pic of that GT!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Benelli 750

Post by NobleHops »

So cool, thanks for posting photos.

A GT750 was the first bike I restored, and it made a wonderful burbling racket from the 3>4 pipes, even at idle. I spent 3 or so years on it, pre internet, and bloodied my knuckles (and wallet) at every turn. It came out great, and I learned a ton as I hoped I would. In a moment of boredom and weakness I sold it, fully restored, for something like $2,500. Mind you this was about...10 years ago.

Like everyone with this old bike affliction, I wish I had it back.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I always liked the Yamaha GT 750.... :teasing-poke:

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

EMS wrote:I always liked the Yamaha GT 750.... :teasing-poke:

I bet that arm on the right is the kick starter :think:

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Here is a picture of two of them in a friends collection :-)
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

That's them, Phil.
The GT was blue but had custom expansion pipes rather than the standard 3 into 4.
I'm going on a run to a bike museum tomorrow so thinking about going on the cbx. Only problem is that winter has hit us today.
image.jpg
Pic of my bike this morning, heated grips and heated seats in use but still cold (for us at least)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”