Cost of adjusting CBX Valves

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Gbrown
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Cost of adjusting CBX Valves

Post by Gbrown »

Hello all! first time poster.
I have a friend that has 2 CBXs and wants me to adjust the valves, and sync the carbs on his bikes, and get this, he wants to pay me for his time!! Wow, how often does that happen?
My question is, how much should I charge?
If any of you have ever paid to have it done, how much did you pay?
I'm still gonna give him the 'buddy discount' but I would like a price to start from.
Thanks!
G

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cost of adjusting CBX Valves

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

So many variables to consider. Bodywork off? Engines already tilted? Valve covers off?
Just a guessestimate but if you know what you are doing i would think 3 hours for a valve adjustment and 1 hour for a carb sync, per bike.

I take CONSIDERABLY longer.

Gbrown

Post by Gbrown »

Thanks! It will also take me longer, as I haven't done it in I dunno, a couple of decades!! Ha.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Just checked the local Honda shop, there at $65/ hr. More for old classic bikes.

rpleines
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by rpleines »

In the event you are interested in looking at a Honda CBX flat rate manual you can find one on http://www.cbxworld.com under CBX Technical. If you have not registered on the site you must do so however the process is simple. Available documents for download include:

• The Official '79~'80 Honda CBX Dealer Flat Rate Manual • The Official '81~'82 Honda CBX Dealer Flat Rate Manual

It may not be exactly what you are looking for however IMHO it's an interesting piece of history.

As noted on the Flat Rate manuals :
"Have fun with this document, but remember one thing. In the same way your medical insurance carrier has agreed beforehand to reimburse program doctors for services, this is a schedule of what Honda promised to reimburse U.S. dealers for repairs performed on the factory's behalf during the CBX's warranty term. Therefore, it isn't a reliable guide of the time these tasks actually take. For a ballpark estimate, multiply the times shown here by 150 to 170 percent, and you'll get close to what dealers charged the public back in the day. Add another 50 percent, and you'll get the time Conscientious technicians take, and another 50 percent for anything other than a perfectly restored, stock vehicle."
Rich Pleines

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Hi G,

If you do not have a copy of the Honda factory 'Full Cycle Valve Adjustment Worksheet & CBX Valve Shim Selection Chart' just PM me your email address and will send you a copy. You can then plan your time down to each valve check. Also includes valve clearance sequence.

cheers Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-usa: :flags-canada: :flags-australia: :auto-sportbike:
ps if anyone else wants a copy just get in touch. cbx6meluk@aol.com Or for a copy of my archive mentioned in latest CBXPRESS. Just had another 50 items added to my list.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Phil wrote:Just checked the local Honda shop, there at $65/ hr. More for old classic bikes.
My local Honda shop is $96.00/hr and they would not let a CBX valve adjustment in the door.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Steve, they aren't interested in taking the job on at all ?!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bikeymikey748 wrote:Steve, they aren't interested in taking the job on at all ?!

very common today. Most motorcycle service dealers I know will not work on a bike 10 years or older. They just refuse to take it in.
Reasons:
- Availability of parts needed for repair is uncertain.
- Mechanics skilled to work on particular model no longer available.

A local multi-brand dealer had an immaculate 1993 CB900r for sale for $2,700.-. I faked interest and the salesman got wet in the armpits. Then I asked him where I could take it if it needed service and he had no answer.
I shrugged and walked away.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

bikeymikey748 wrote:Steve, they aren't interested in taking the job on at all ?!
Similar to what EMS said, they won't work on bikes older than 15 years.
They will do an oil change or change tires, very basic stuff but that is about it.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

It's the same over here. Local Honda dealer charges £60.00($95.00) an hour +tax (20%). They put new tyres on my 1000Z but not interested in touching my 96 GL1500. I had been unwell at the time but once recovered did what was needed myself at nil labor cost. all the best. Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”