disaster and bolt question

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

disaster and bolt question

Post by neilx7 »

Disaster well sort off,
When putting on rocker cover I notice one off the bolts was stripped left front,
So I removed it and sure enough it was stripped, so I thought simple job remove the 2 nuts holding camshaft holder and take to be helicoiled,
You can guess what happened next yes one off the 6mm bolts snapped in the head there was some shouting and swearing (don’t know what neighbors thought off all this abuse coming from my shed)
So off came the head and with only one more bolt snapping,
But quite a few made some snapping sounds but came out ok, but on inspection the thread had fractured, so I was luck only got away with 2 going west.
I think that someone had over tightened the bolts in the past as they took some freeing.
Manuel says 9-10ft-lbs but they were way over that.
So new bolts required 28 of them at £2.30 each grand total of £64.00 plus vat from Mr. Honda.
Which is a rip off.

Question.
I presume they are high tensile bolts, which I can get x 50 of grade 12.9 for £8.00
Do you think they will be ok for the camshaft holders.

Cheers
Neil

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: disaster and bolt question

Post by EMS »

These things have a tendency to snap. I remember faintly, that eons ago, Larry Benjamin a.k.a "alimey4u2" did a little investigation and came up with an alternative bolt. I am not sure, whether the thread is still on the site here.

This was the only thing I could find:
Chris, After finding a few broken cam cap bolts myself, I went & changed them to ARP fasteners. I had to use hardened spacer/washers as the ARP supplied were just a leeetle too long. No problem other than slightly more difficulty in taking the cam cover off with the engine in situ.....

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”