New Parts Consortium

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New Parts Consortium

Post by Jim-Jim »

To all:
What we need here is a consortium of folks willing to invest a goodly sum of money to invest in the creating of parts replacements for the CBX. Pooling our resources could get us some badly needed parts for the future. A lot of them are already 'unavailable' and without some of them, the bike will not run.
While there should not be any financial gain for any of us, it would not be remiss for a 10-20% profit to the cost of the manufacturing.
There are thousands of CBXs in the world and while it may sound impractical, it could be done to gather monies from all to pool into a 'rebuild/remanufacture' fund. Each would benefit as donated and would have access to these parts when they are needed.
I can see a time when the CBX will not be able to continue without these irreplaceable parts. To try to revive them individually would be almost impossible; collectively, we all can guaranty the parts re-manufacture/replacement.

Seems I recall, a fair way back, that our noble webmaster received a special seal on the primary chain tensioner from someone - without which he would have been in 'big' trouble. What will we do when we 'all' need that seal?

Together we stand, divided we fall - someone famous said that once.

Or am I being just too altruistic?

Jim-Jim

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: New Parts Consortium

Post by Rick Pope »

Looking at this from a business like point of view, what you seem to be suggesting is that a group pools money to buy up old stock, and perhaps complete bikes to dismantle as needed, to rob parts from. Of course, this would take a lot of man hours, warehouse space, and shipping, which aren't free. :o

Sounds a lot like like what Louis, Bill Brint, and Bob Franzke are already doing. :think:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think Jim is talking more along the line of commissioning "reproduction" parts. Once you would have a financial base, you could have someone make a part that is nla. We are not talking bodywork or exhausts here. More like small items that are essential for keeping the bike running. Special seals and electrical items come to mind.

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

What I'm talking about was generated by this post by J.R. on CBXWorld - I have learned since that he is NOT pursuing this option for a much better Sprage clutch assy simply because there was no financial base to get the minimum quantity order.

http://www.cbxworld.com/modules.php?nam ... ic&t=15780

I'm definitely NOT advocating 'spares', etc. - as stated, there are those already doing that. But I believe that dismantling a good CBX just for parts goes against the grain and, I'm sure, some are sent down that path simply because some 'essential' part was not available.

J-J

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Jim-Jim wrote:What I'm talking about was generated by this post by J.R. on CBXWorld -

http://www.cbxworld.com/modules.php?nam ... ic&t=15780

J-J
Jim: Posting a link to CBXWorld does not work for everybody. You have to be a member at CBXWorld and have to sign in to read this. 8)

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Okay, now I understand. I was way off course.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

CBX owners here in the US, generally, have not shown much commitment to pursue something like this. I guess it's been because good used parts are still pretty available. Honda sold far and away more CBXs here than in the rest of the world combined. The 1980 models didn't even make to most of Europe when new.

I'm sure we're spoiled here in that regard, and many 'casual' owners don't really appreciate what they have and how much of the rest of the world covets our situation (in more ways than one).

Where the needs have arisen, however, The Europeans and Australians have ponied up and had some key parts reproduced. Side covers, fenders, chain guards, exhaust systems, many NLA rubber parts for the engine, footpeg rubbers, some other stuff. I think without exception, these were all conceived, financed and produced somewhere other than the US. We as CBX owners here in the US just haven't shown that level of commitment. I for one, am glad someone is doing this and have bought quite a few of the replica items from overseas.

Someone has ponied up to finance these endeavors, and I hope they are being rewarded with a good profit. It is no inexpensive proposition owning and properly maintaining a CBX, or any vintage bike. I just know that many here in the US really aren't that willing or committed to spending what it will take to keep these things running and looking good far into the future.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Dave,

You said that so well. We should all be thankful that others have stepped up and produced, or have caused the production, of once obsolete parts. And a hearty "thanks" to folks like Nils, who recently has put together the group buys on the footpeg rubbers and exhausts. That's a lot of work for little more than a "Thanks".
Rick Pope

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Rick Pope wrote:Dave,

You said that so well. We should all be thankful that others have stepped up and produced, or have caused the production, of once obsolete parts. And a hearty "thanks" to folks like Nils, who recently has put together the group buys on the footpeg rubbers and exhausts. That's a lot of work for little more than a "Thanks".
Thank you Rick, that's very kind of you as usual. Wim is the guy that ponied up to have those footrest parts made, and as I recall it was the Dutch club that coerced Sankei into reproducing the exhaust. I just pimped them :-)

It's all market-driven. As long as Louis has what we need on demand, which he mostly does, there's no point in reproducing many items, and let's be frank, there is waning interest in these old UJMs. I'm just going to enjoy my bikes and tinker with them when I feel like it, and I'll pitch in with stuff when I feel like it, and that's all good.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Most of us who had a CBX for longer than a few years have seen this coming for a while and have prepared ourselves. Parts becoming obsolete is not a recent thing and, again, most of us were not surprised and have started building spare parts inventory for quite some time now. I remember buying an almost new Candy Glory Red CBX fuel tank at VMD Mid Ohio for $250.- years ago., or a new seat from Honda for $285.-. I missed out on one of the last NOS exhaust systems at a Honda dealer for $650.-, because I thought it was too expensive.. :sad-roulette: I could probably build at least two complete CBXes from my parts with minimal additional investment.That may be another reason why you don't find many owners interested in investing in repro parts building. Most have their own "stash", established over the last 25 years.

Oh, and by the way, as far as the footpeg rubbers are concerned: Wim actually did this for the CB1100R, we CBXers were just lucky those were the same rubbers!

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

The problem is just about every part is NLA. I have made some parts and yes it does get pricey to have them made because having to make so many. I would think there is about 5-9,000 cbx left around the world. So finding the part to make to please everyone for all years and so many different configuration for the same part because Honda made them all different for different countries might not be fun. Motor parts could be done the easiest. I am willing to help if needed.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”