Engine detailing tips?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Engine detailing tips?

Post by daves79x »

My vote's for Marine Clean, but I'd really watch it also on a repainted surface - it's never as tough as the original.

Dave

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

To clean a really dirty engine, I use Gunk or similar degreaser. For maintenance cleaning (like after riding in rain), the S100 works like Rick said. After the engine is nice and dry again, to bring back the sheen, I use "S100 Engine Brightener" which comes in a small spray can (4.5 ounces) and costs like $9.00 at the, ugh, Harley dealer. But the engine does look nice for quite a while (til the next rain ride).

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

SteveG wrote:To clean a really dirty engine, I use Gunk or similar degreaser. For maintenance cleaning (like after riding in rain), the S100 works like Rick said. After the engine is nice and dry again, to bring back the sheen, I use "S100 Engine Brightener" which comes in a small spray can (4.5 ounces) and costs like $9.00 at the, ugh, Harley dealer. But the engine does look nice for quite a while (til the next rain ride).
Have you ever used the engine brightener on a non-black engine?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Syscrush wrote:
SteveG wrote:To clean a really dirty engine, I use Gunk or similar degreaser. For maintenance cleaning (like after riding in rain), the S100 works like Rick said. After the engine is nice and dry again, to bring back the sheen, I use "S100 Engine Brightener" which comes in a small spray can (4.5 ounces) and costs like $9.00 at the, ugh, Harley dealer. But the engine does look nice for quite a while (til the next rain ride).
Have you ever used the engine brightener on a non-black engine?
No I haven't. The S100 Engine Brightener is made specifically for black engines, and more specifically, the "crinkle" finishes like on the Harley. The can says "While not harmful to them, this product is not intended for painted surfaces such as fenders, tanks, frames etc." It has not harmed my '82 engine, and one dose lasts all season. I wouldn't hesitate using it on a silver engine.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

SteveG wrote:No I haven't. The S100 Engine Brightener is made specifically for black engines, and more specifically, the "crinkle" finishes like on the Harley. The can says "While not harmful to them, this product is not intended for painted surfaces such as fenders, tanks, frames etc." It has not harmed my '82 engine, and one dose lasts all season. I wouldn't hesitate using it on a silver engine.
OK, good to know. I've tried to find experiences from someone who has used it on a non-black engine and have come up empty so far. I may give it a shot, we'll see how things go.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

HondaJohn
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by HondaJohn »

I use turtle wax wheel cleaner, brushes and then come back and flush with 91% alcohol, from walmart. I put the alcohol in a battery operated spray container and spray and brush the hell out of the engine. Work intensive to get between the engine fins but after a good days work, you will have an engine ready to paint.
79, 80, 81, 82 CBX's, 87 Hurr 1000F, 83CB1100F, 87 VFR700, 01 Blackbird
40 yrs of Hondas and still baffled....

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Today I spent about 6 hours attacking grease, grime, and dirt with various chemicals and implements, then went looking for a patch of sun...

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

For the record, the implements were: dish scrub brush, baby bottle brush, toothbrush, a bunch of microfiber cloths and paper shop towels. The chemicals were WD-40 (initial clean of engine, wheels, and chain), S100 (2nd pass on engine, all paint & chrome), brake cleaner - the nasty stuff with chorine (brake rotors & 2nd pass on wheels, some stubborn spots on engine). I tried to get a better shine out of the cam end caps with microfiber + metal polish, but they're in rough shape and are gonna need something more drastic than that.

Up close, looking for and then focusing on every imperfection, I wasn't very happy with how it turned out - but after taking a break and coming back to look at it from more than a foot away, the overall effect is pretty decent, and I think it looks fine in these pics. There are some stains, scratches, and flakes on the engine that aren't gonna be rectified without new paint, but the wheels look like a million bucks IMO.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

I see WD40 previously mentioned on this thread. Great for lubrication for stuck nuts and bolts but if you use as part of a engine cleaning programme and do not remove all of the WD40 the remaining deposit will turn brown when the engine gets hot. I bought a 79 around four years ago and the previous owner had put it in store after spraying the complete engine with WD40 as he thought it would preserve the look of the engine. Not so. Took us around week of cleaning to remove and even then could not get around 5% of it out no matter how hard we tried. Had to get the engine professionally repainted which he paid for.Do you guys use spray on Gunk engine cleaner over there? Great for removing oil and grease. Looking forward to receiving my CBXPRESS.

all the best
Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

cbxmel wrote:I see WD40 previously mentioned on this thread. Great for lubrication for stuck nuts and bolts but if you use as part of a engine cleaning programme and do not remove all of the WD40 the remaining deposit will turn brown when the engine gets hot. I bought a 79 around four years ago and the previous owner had put it in store after spraying the complete engine with WD40 as he thought it would preserve the look of the engine. Not so. Took us around week of cleaning to remove and even then could not get around 5% of it out no matter how hard we tried.
I wonder if that's what's burned on the engine of my wife's Monster - although that bike does leak a bit of oil on the same side where the brown crud is, so I've always assumed it was oil.

On both bikes, I used WD to loosen/remove grime, then removed all WD with S100 (engine) or brake cleaner (wheels). I feel pretty good about how it all turned out.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I use this. Seems to work. Use a 15° fan or greater; otherwise, you'll strip paint.
Al

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Your bike looks great, Phil.
I agree, the black plug lines will be a big improvement.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks, Steve.

I've been having a tough time finding a source for 8mm plug wires with a black braided finish that's not cloth. Magnum makes some very nice-looking wires that can be ordered in custom sizes with 180, 90, or 45° ends, but they are awfully pricey. I don't really wanna start cutting corners at this point, but I also don't wanna get taken for a sucker.

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”