Is It Time, Finally?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Is It Time, Finally?

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:
NobleHops wrote:Dude. Please slap yourself back into some sense now. Not too hard. That's better.

Both bikes are so far beyond the capabilities of mere mortals like us that the distinction of which one is more ANYTHING is purely theoretical. That being the case, it comes down to looks and sex appeal, and the 916 shall never be surpassed in either category. The Panigale is just another Ducati next to the 916. (No offense Mike)
1098R is NOT a Panigale.

Decide for yourself who needs the slap. ;)
Meh, it's still Just Another Ducati.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:I usually put tape over the speedo on the track.
That's for the best, for sure.
But of course, once I wanted to find out how fast I was going just before I hit my brake mark. It was "only" 140 mph.
Well, at least you won't have to worry about overheating those brakes. ;)

I rode an RC9R on that track and my mind was blown by how f'n fast it was. What truly blows my mind is the knowledge that more modern equipment (like that 1098R, or a CBR1000RR, or S1000R) would be so much faster.
There are a lot of advancements in the 1098R over the 916. No comparison. The 916, you have to still "muscle" into the start of a turn, in spite of changing the rake for the track. And the traction control of the 1098R makes it a so much better bike. No fear to rip the throttle open when you accelerate out of the turns. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I kinda figured. To me, the 1098 is a 916 with a ton of improvements/refinements - I'd be surprised if the 916 could do anything better other than "be a 916", which Nils obviously weighs very heavily. :)
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: I kinda figured. To me, the 1098 is a 916 with a ton of improvements/refinements - I'd be surprised if the 916 could do anything better other than "be a 916", which Nils obviously weighs very heavily. :)

I think the point that Nils tried to make is that either bike has capabilities that riders like us will never fully use. So, there has to be something else, and in this case it is something beyond technology and performance.
And there is no doubt, that the 916 has something you cannot explain with numbers. I do agree with that.

But on the other hand - even us "mere mortals" appreciate the confidence that the 1098R installs when rolling on the throttle out of a turn. Without the fear of losing the rear wheel and low-siding. I know that. I did it on the 916.....
Last edited by EMS on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:
Syscrush wrote: I kinda figured. To me, the 1098 is a 916 with a ton of improvements/refinements - I'd be surprised if the 916 could do anything better other than "be a 916", which Nils obviously weighs very heavily. :)

I think the point that Nils tried to make is that either bike has capabilities that riders like us will never fully use. So, there has to be something else, and in this case it is something beyond technology and performance.
And there is no doubt, that the 916 has something you cannot explain with numbers. I do agree with that.
But on the other hand - even us "mere mortals" appreciate the confidence that the 1098R installs when rolling on the throttle out of a turn. Without the fear of losing the rear wheel and low-siding. I know that. I did it on the 916.....
Ahhh, that is indeed a game changer, I forgot about those awesome rider aids, and I am a fan indeed. Forgive me dissing your bike Mike, I know it is awesome, I just don't have much appreciation for track machinery anymore I guess. I have another friend with a 916 and it is something more to me, in every way. Purely a personal reaction.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:Forgive me dissing your bike Mike, I know it is awesome, I just don't have much appreciation for track machinery anymore I guess. I have another friend with a 916 and it is something more to me, in every way. Purely a personal reaction.
First, I don't think either of us was dissing either of his bikes, just choosing a favorite. :D

Second, anyone who chooses a CBX MUST understand that the appeal of a bike is about more than lap times! Even with his racing background, Irimajiri-sama certainly did.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NobleHops wrote: Forgive me dissing your bike Mike, I know it is awesome, .
No offense taken, Nils. I have both the 916 and a 1098R....I don't even know which I like better...for all the reasons stated above 8)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Last night I had a dream about riding that 1098R at Mid-Ohio. :D
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

So, have you been out for a proper ride yet?

I'm still sneaking short rides on my wife's bike - looks like it might be that way until mid-summer. I'm contemplating buying a bike just to tide me over.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:So, have you been out for a proper ride yet?

Nope! it is still too cold early in the mornings to start for a longer ride and in addition we have perpetual rain..... :roll:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

It'll come. And when it does I might drive my car to your place and beg for a spin on one of your bikes. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Anyone for older Ducati's ? My Martin is parked next to this one right now in a friends collection.
"2008 Desmosedici RR Modeled after racing desmo GP06 Double L Twin 998cc Dry weight 377 lb 6 speed cassette type transmission Full carbon fiber bodywork197.3 BHP 174 HP @ Rear wheel 1/4 mile 9.49s @ 152.80 MPH Note Marco Melandri's leathers in background."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Is this a private collection?

And how good is the security system? ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I saw this beauty last year. It is even more beautiful in person.
The owner said he was at $72,000 from new.
When he started talking about 16", 16.5" and 17" rear wheels that were $10,000 and not being able to get tires for them it made me cross it off my wish list. haha.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Indeed, it is a private collection of about 130 bikes. I'll see if I can find a link somewhere to some photos of
some of the bikes there. It is pretty incredible.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Phil, I never really met you, but I thought you were older than 30 :o :o - calling this an older Ducati...... :teasing-poke:
I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but the Desmo16 did not float my boat. :oops: Yes, it is awesome to be able to own a piece of world class race technology, but sorry to say, the bike does not have the "soul" of what you expect a Ducati to have. The V-4 really reminded me a lot of the VF1000R I had once and riding the thing always reminded me of what the price tag of it was and what it would cost to spill - even a little. Getting on my SPS always made me feel completely different in the belly. Granted, the TBR is also obscenely expensive, but it has that classic Ducati twin feeling and the growl of the motor reverberates in your stomach when you roll on the throttle in a way the Desmosedici never could. :lol: :lol: And the price difference was equal to a BMW K1600GT.... :dance:

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”