Is It Time, Finally?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Is It Time, Finally?

Post by EMS »

It looks like that those of us, who suffer here in the Northeastern part of the U.S. from extended winter time are finally getting a chance to come out of hibernation! This week we see the temperatures going into the high 60s and a couple of dry days!
I may give it a shot!
Easily accessible bikes, however, are not any CBXes - unfortunately....

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Is It Time, Finally?

Post by daves79x »

Yea - I'd sure hate for that to be the bike I had to ride.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Yea - I'd sure hate for that to be the bike I had to ride.

Dave

Well, Dave, at my age and with my hips, it is not all THAT much fun anymore.... :roll:

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

"We are healed of a suffering only by experiencing it in full"...Marcel Proust.

Go hammer on that beauty, Mike.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Did you get out on the weekend?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:Did you get out on the weekend?
Yes, Phil, I did. Nice excursion with a couple of other Ducatisti on Saturday. Then Sunday was back to expecting rain and today is wet and cold. Tomorrow is snow again in the forecast... :shock:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Same thing here weather-wise. I'm also riding a Ducati until my Honda is ready, but my wife's M620 doesn't compare to your 1098R. ;)

Is your upgraded hip able to manage on that bike better than before?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:
Is your upgraded hip able to manage on that bike better than before?
Thanks for asking, Phil 8) Yes, the right side is much better. It is the leg that I swing over the bike when I first get on it, so it makes quite a difference and it is also the leg, I usually put down first when coming to a stop :clap:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Glad to hear it, my brother!

Also, WTF do you do on public roads with a bike that can do 100mph in first gear? Or, rather, how the hell do you get away with it? ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:

Also, WTF do you do on public roads with a bike that can do 100mph in first gear? Or, rather, how the hell do you get away with it? ;)
We have some real nice roads in Southeastern Ohio, about 150-160 miles south of here. You can't go too fast, because of all the turns, but it makes for a hell of a fun ride.
I take both the 916SPS and the 1098R to the track a couple of times a year. The Mid-Ohio race course is only about 1 hour and 15 minutes from here and a few of us piggy-back with two car clubs to use their meeting days at the track to squeeze some time in. I have also been to Nelson Ledges, about one hour east of me, on a few occasions, but I don't care for that track too much. It really needs work.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Mid-Ohio is made for bikes like that 1098R. You must see a buck seventy easy on that sidestraight after the keyhole. Well, as easily as you can, knowing that there's a tight 90° turn looming. :)

Does the 916 do anything better than the 1098?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Mello
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Mello »

EMS wrote:
daves79x wrote:Yea - I'd sure hate for that to be the bike I had to ride.

Dave

Well, Dave, at my age and with my hips, it is not all THAT much fun anymore.... :roll:
Lol, getting old ain't fun! A couple of weeks ago we a few mates met for a run. One of the guys had crashed his ducati diavel. While it was in for repair, ducati said he could choose one of the demo bikes to ride. So he arrives on a panigale for our run. Needless to say, he came in for some stick. Then he was going round trying to convince someone to swap bikes with him :laughing-rolling: Fantastic to look at but not so much fun when you're on the wrong side of 50 and portly!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." - Enzo Ferrari

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:Mid-Ohio is made for bikes like that 1098R. You must see a buck seventy easy on that sidestraight after the keyhole. Well, as easily as you can, knowing that there's a tight 90° turn looming. :)

I usually put tape over the speedo on the track. Try to avoid useless distractions. 8) But of course, once I wanted to find out how fast I was going just before I hit my brake mark. It was "only" 140 mph. Then again, my personal best at Mid-Ohio is 1:46. Not too shabby for an old fart :lol:
There are a lot of advancements in the 1098R over the 916. No comparison. The 916, you have to still "muscle" into the start of a turn, in spite of changing the rake for the track. And the traction control of the 1098R makes it a so much better bike. No fear to rip the throttle open when you accelerate out of the turns. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Syscrush wrote:Mid-Ohio is made for bikes like that 1098R. You must see a buck seventy easy on that sidestraight after the keyhole. Well, as easily as you can, knowing that there's a tight 90° turn looming. :)

Dude. Please slap yourself back into some sense now. Not too hard. That's better.

Both bikes are so far beyond the capabilities of mere mortals like us that the distinction of which one is more ANYTHING is purely theoretical. That being the case, it comes down to looks and sex appeal, and the 916 shall never be surpassed in either category. The Panigale is just another Ducati next to the 916. (No offense Mike)
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

NobleHops wrote:Dude. Please slap yourself back into some sense now. Not too hard. That's better.

Both bikes are so far beyond the capabilities of mere mortals like us that the distinction of which one is more ANYTHING is purely theoretical. That being the case, it comes down to looks and sex appeal, and the 916 shall never be surpassed in either category. The Panigale is just another Ducati next to the 916. (No offense Mike)
1098R is NOT a Panigale.

Decide for yourself who needs the slap. ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”