Problems viewing this site with Internet Explorer?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Problems viewing this site with Internet Explorer?

Post by NobleHops »

Ditch it.

From the very beginnings of the web Microsoft has been at best disruptive to open standards, making browsers that kind of work, but break things, render things differently requiring workarounds, and more.

IE7 and 8 (InternetExplorer that is) were STILL a huge pain in the ass, even that far along in the development of their browser, and unfortunately a lot of enterprise customers are STILL stuck with it, and locked out of administering their machines and so can't install something modern and standards-compliant.

My little company makes websites as some of you know, and we disclaim compatibility with those older non-compliant browsers, and we are far from alone.

Any of you guys that use Internet Explorer would really be better served by migrating to a modern, standards-compliant web browser like Google's Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. It will take you 5 minutes to install it, 1 more minute to migrate your bookmarks, passwords, and other stored content, and maybe another 5 minutes of poking at it to familiarize yourself with the few ways that it is different. You will probably notice that it's a lot faster in many cases.

Get Chrome:

http://www.google.com/chrome

Get Firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Problems viewing this site with Internet Explorer?

Post by EMS »

I will agree with you, Nils, in principle!

I must object, however, that changing to anything else is all that easy. For someone like you, who live computers, it may be. For someone like me, who is a hacker, it is not done in the time you say it will.
First, I do not like Google. Google has a very bad reputation of recording your every move on the net and using it to sell to others.

I tried the Mozilla/Firefox link from my IT guy before and I cannot find a way to download it. I must be stupid, I know, but all I see is instructions how ot use it, not how to get it on your machine. I kicked it back to the IT guy to download it for me.

That all being said, I have no problem viewing the site. Just the posts which incorporate the new picture resizing process. And on two other machines, which use Internet Explorer also, I am doing fine. So, I am not really sure, if IE in its latest version is really a problem.

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I have a copy of Internet Explorer (doesn't everyone?) but I only use it when I come across a website which only seems to work with IE. Yes, there are some. Day to day, I use Firefox for my browser, and Thunderbird for my email. Generally, they work well, and are updated regularly. Firefox has several extensions and add ons that make it far better than IE. And neither Firefox nor Thunderbird come from Microsoft, which is an advantage all its own.
SCH Rochester, MN

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Nils, my experience has shown me that you know what you are talking about when it comes to computers and usually the CBX. But you have to understand that to me a non computer type, changing everything that works is just scary. I know this sounds sad to you but when I buy a computer, I expect everything to work well from the gitgo, just like I do with a new motorcycle, and all I have to do is push buttons with the mouse.

Anything else is difficult for me.
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You can always go back Harvey. It does not replace what you know and have, it becomes another option. That said, if you aren't having any problems, leave well enough alone. There are a lot better ways to spend time than dicking around with computers, and I cannot wait do do less of it myself.

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

harvey wrote:Nils, my experience has shown me that you know what you are talking about when it comes to computers and usually the CBX. But you have to understand that to me a non computer type, changing everything that works is just scary. I know this sounds sad to you but when I buy a computer, I expect everything to work well from the gitgo, just like I do with a new motorcycle, and all I have to do is push buttons with the mouse.

Anything else is difficult for me.

Very well put, Harvey! Some of us are in the same situation. And I found, that the problem a lot of times is to communicate our difficulties with the computer experts who just cannot comprehend, that someone can be so inept, when it comes to something as common (to them) as computers and software.

I discussed this with our IT guy at one time and came up with an analogy:

"Imagine you come to me and tell me : My car engine makes a strange ticking noise

I listen to it, hand you a feeler gauge, point to my tool box and then say: You need to adjust your valves

What would you do? I can only imagine the painful look on your face"

I think he got it. (Of course, he was ignorant about the fact that nowadays valves don't need adjustment anymore and couldn't argue that ;-) )

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The site works fine for me with Google Chrome. All pictures are visible the way they should be. :thumupp:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:The site works fine for me with Google Chrome. All pictures are visible the way they should be. :thumupp:
Attaboy :-)
Nils Menten

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks for all of the effort that goes into this site.

I am not touching the browser preference discussion with a 10 foot pole. I work in IT and get enough browser bashing there that I don't need to have it working its way into my hobbies, too. :)

I will say, though, that I use Chrome (on desktop and tablet) and this site consistently fails to honor the "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox setting. I have the same issue with petshrimp.com, which is also built on phpBB. I assume that this is a phpBB issue, but since we're talking about features that work and don't work, I thought I'd throw it out there.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I too am using chrome, and it's working fine. but then, I don't know diddly about computers.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”