CBX Going Home

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX Going Home

Post by solarmoose »

I've always thought the white '82 was a nice looking bike though I'd never seen one in the flesh. Last summer a couple friends who know I like CBX's called to say an 82 was for sale locally, (my bank account does not like these friends since this is not the first time.) Long story short I bought it for $3k. Mechanically it was in excellent condition, 21,000 miles and doesn't need much other than carbs cleaned, choke cable, alternator clutch service and basic maintenance. The paint was in fair condition though the saddle bags are rough and several turn signal lenses were broken and stalks bent. The windscreen and pipes needed some polishing which I did. The best part was that it had not been modified or messed with. Original parts. A survivor.

However I had doubts about adding it since I already have a '79 and an '81 (there's an article about my wife riding the 81 in the Spring/Summer CBXPress 2012 Vol 21#1) in very nice condition and another '79 that is a basket case (not to mention several other project bikes waiting for time and $.) I was contemplating this last Saturday.

Sunday night I got an email from a guy who wondered if I had an '82 CBX that might have belonged to his father. He came out to the shop yesterday and we discovered this was indeed the bike his dad had bought brand new just before he was born. We found his dad's name in the owner's manual. He remembered riding on it with his dad when he was very young. But his father subsequently sold it and it passed through several hands before coming to me. He was thrilled to see it again and wanted to know if I would sell it. He's a rider, has had several bikes and seemed very keen to take care of this CBX because it had been his dad's.

I said yes, for what I paid for it plus a case of my favorite beer. I've pointed him in the direction of this club, our great vendors and a long list of CBX websites. He's already making plans to get it back on the road. I suspect we'll see him on the forum someday.

And that gentlemen, brings a new 30-year-old to the fold. Can't think of a better place for this 1982 CBX to be.
David

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Going Home

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Excellent story, David.
You are a good man for getting it back in the hands of the family.
Gotta ask, which beer?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Very cool story! Hope to hear from the new owner.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Very cool story, well done!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

solarmoose
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by solarmoose »

Which beer? LOL. Corona is my beer of choice for the shop fridge.

Here's a pic of the bike last fall.

harvey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by harvey »

Way to go solarmoose! That is a great story of the bike getting back to the son. And hopefully the son will take your advice! And I remember that story about your wife in the 81 CBX. That was also great.

Now if I could just convince you that your running 79CBX used to be my dad's!
harvey

Ride Safe and Ride Often

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Awesome gesture David.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”