'80 CBX Center Stand. Need help

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
pauldridge
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

'80 CBX Center Stand. Need help

Post by pauldridge »

My recently purchased '80 CBX came without a center stand.. annoying! It has a Kerker 6-into-one exhaust, so I thought perhaps someone removed the stand because the exhaust conflicted, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I picked up a used stand on eBay for a pittance, but once I tried fitting it, it clearly was for the "B" models. The first issue was that the lower cross-member support on the stand was positioned too far down, and hit the tire when folded up. So, I carefully cut out the supporting braces, cut off the cross piece, and repositioned the whole thing nearer the pivot end.

The finished product came out pretty well and it does clear the tire now when up as shown below:

However, I can't seem to figure out how attach a spring to this setup. Looking at the parts explosion for the earlier 79-80 models, I am trying to figure out where part (4) attaches (my bike is missing this piece, but I could fabricate one)
Also, I am not sure why there are 3 different springs depicted, and how they all join together:
Just wondering if any 79-80 CBX owner has knowledge of this assembly, and/or might be willing to take a couple of pictures underneath, with the stand in both the up and down position?
you could email pics directly to me: phil at auldridge.org
Thanks in advance for the help

neilx7
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: '80 CBX Center Stand. Need help

Post by neilx7 »

hi,
i have just put mine 79 stand back together, i will take some pic this evening when i get home from work and email you them.

cheers
neil

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: '80 CBX Center Stand. Need help

Post by EMS »

Phil:
If you read the listing that comes with these parts diagrams, you will see that #2 and #3 are springs that only came on the bikes officially delivered to Germany.
All other countries had #15. Probably for some strange requirement by the government, the German bikes had to have a sub-spring together with the main spring.
#15 attaches to the centerstand on a little hook on the right leg (as you sit on the bike). You can see that in your diagram. #4 attaches to a round bent tab that is welded to the lowest crossbar of the frame. If you look at your parts diagram for the frame, you can see it, right in the middle.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”