CBX Values

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX Values

Post by EMS »

I just received my "Comprehensive Vintage Motorcycle Price Guide 2013/2014 Edition" as compiled by The Motorcycle and Model Railroad Museum of Wisconsin
Through hundreds of hours of research and data entry, formed by the opinions of dozens of dealers, auctioneers, collectors and experts in the vintage field, we believe this is the most accurate price guide availabel for vintage motorcyclces.

At least, it should give you an idea what the approximate value fo your CBX may be, should you consider selling it.

Conditions

1- Perfect/As new
2- Excellent
3- very good
4- Good
5- Fair
6- Poor
1979 CBX 1-12,000 2-9,000 3-6,000 4-4,300 5-2,800 6-2,800
1980 CBX 1-9,500 2-7,500 3-5,700 4-4,300 5-2,800 6-2,000
1981 CBX 1-9,000 2- 7,000 3-5,500 4-4,500 5-3,000 6-2,000
1982 CBX 1-10,000 2-8,000 3-6,000 4-4,500 5-3,000 6-2,000

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Values

Post by NobleHops »

Seems 10-20% high by my calibrated seat of pants, but that is at best an unqualified opinion. Interesting content and the relationships between the different years for a given condition is very interesting all by itself.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have found one of the biggest variables in determining prices is the difference in opinion of the condition of the bike.
Many sellers seem to think there bikes are excellent.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

My observation is that the values shown for 'excellent' early models is low and for the late models a bit high. There have been quite a few '79 and '80 models in the excellent category sell for well into the teens very recently. The outlier to that was at Barber where a zero mile red '79 sold for $35K. I can tell you no one has trouble getting 10-12K for a quality restoration, more for a low-mile original. I can also tell you that very few CBXs you see advertised on eBay meet that criteria.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:I have found one of the biggest variables in determining prices is the difference in opinion of the condition of the bike.
Many sellers seem to think there bikes are excellent.

Very good point, Steve.
That, combined with the uneducated buyer, who "always wanted a CBX" leads to quite a few erratic price spikes.
In the ICOA, we tried to consolidate our combined experience, (which, without bragging, is next to none regarding this subject) to come up with a "check sheet" on what to look for and how to judge the condition of a bike. I don't think it has ever been put to use.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

I am inclined to think it is whatever a prospective buyer is prepared to pay no matter what a seller is asking. I never touch a bike where the owner says 'offer'. They must have some idea what they require so why not say so! Also,owners tend to differ and what they consider is a show standard bike.All a matter of opinion. Two 81's sold at last weekends Stafford Show went as follows. Nil mileage 81,$13,000, 81 used,no mileage quoted $4,480. The sandcast 1978 engine number 15 made $8,200.

cheers Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Last edited by cbxmel on Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Prices for CBXes are very much a regional thing too. Prolinks are generally more expensive in Europe than in the U.S.
Some publications which monitor used bike prices sometimes quote higher prices for prolinks than for early CBXes.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

EMS wrote:Prices for CBXes are very much a regional thing too. Prolinks are generally more expensive in Europe than in the U.S.
Some publications which monitor used bike prices sometimes quote higher prices for prolinks than for early CBXes.
CBX prices in Europe are higher than in the U.S. but Z's will always command a higher price than a Prolink.
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Goss wrote: CBX prices in Europe are higher than in the U.S. but Z's will always command a higher price than a Prolink.

I beg to differ. Older, high mileage 79s can be had for less money than good Prolinks on the Continent. Consequently, prices in "blue book" publications for average condition bikes are higher for Prolinks than for Z bikes.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Mike,

Figures in the 'Blue book' may be higher for Pro-links but I can assure you 1000Z's fetch far more here in the UK when an actual sale is completed. Only very recently have Pro-Link prices moved slowly upward whereas 1000Z prices actually obtained have been much highr for around 18 months. Being an honorary valuer for one auction house and an insurance company I have seen evidence of the sales figures.

regards Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxmel wrote:Mike,

Figures in the 'Blue book' may be higher for Pro-links but I can assure you 1000Z's fetch far more here in the UK when an actual sale is completed.
regards Mel 1876
The U.K. is not part of the Continent. As far as CBX prices are concerned, the U.K. market is very similar to that of the U.S. where early CBXes have a more "desirable" image, fueled in addition by those who claim they are the "fastest", thus making them more expensive.
The relative rarity of CBX-Bs and Cs in Germany, France and Italy and the more practical design for daily use, pushes their prices up.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:

Figures in the 'Blue book' may be higher for Pro-links but I can assure you 1000Z's fetch far more here in the UK when an actual sale is completed.
regards Mel 1876
The U.K. is not part of the Continent. As far as CBX prices are concerned, the U.K. market is very similar to that of the U.S. where early CBXes have a more "desirable" image, fueled in addition by those who claim they are the "fastest", thus making them more expensive.
The relative rarity of CBX-Bs and Cs in Germany, France and Italy and the more practical design for daily use, pushes their prices up.
And that is something I find sort-of comical: Trying to make a CBX perform like a modern bike, or simply 'go fast'. My 6 year old bone stock BMW plowing implement will wax my CBX in any measurable way.

..but that is not why we love them, is it!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

EMS wrote:

regards Mel 1876

:teasing-lurk:
Mike, when you refer to Prolinks in Europe, you may be thinking Germany more specifically. I attended CBX rallyes in France a few years back and it is correct to say that fewer pro links were sold in Europe compared to early models, however most owners specifically favored the 78-79 Z models There was little interest for the prolinks. This was echoed by other Europeans owners I got a chance to meet and talk to from Holland, Switzerland, Spain, UK, Denmark etc... At the time, I had a very nice 82 , which I shipped on the same plane as I was to Frankfurt in 1999 to have a nice sabbatical year, then I left it there at my folks for several years and rode it once per year while on vacation, until it became unpractical and decided to sell it. Even with all my networking within the club, and good advice from friends, I had a hard time selling it, mainly because it was a late model... I heard that over and over, until finally a CBX friend found me a buyer for 5000 euros ...2 years later, which I gladly took!
I did notice that at these rallyes, the German visitors were split between prolinks and earlies, but not anywhere else. I remember back then communicating with Mel in UK , who told me the same thing about UK CBX preferences.

I also think like Dave that your value guide is optimistic on the prolinks , we know that very few sell at the prices they claim.... As for the 79 and 80's , it is all over the map... and depends on too many variables.

In the long run, I do believe that our bikes have not reached their fair market value yet, the earlies will always be worth more, but it is likely that in several years the gap between nice prolinks and earlies will be very narrow. After all, the prolinks are a better overall package, classy looking, handle better and brake better, and they are more comfy for longer rides, but the 79 will always have that raw power attraction ! :twocents-02cents:
JP

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CBXTRA6 wrote:[ , but the 79 will always have that raw power attraction ! :twocents-02cents:

I am not putting down the early CBXes. I have both a 79 and an 80.

But on all rides I have been with other CBXers so far, I have always been able to keep up with the "raw power" of a '79 on my Prolink. Sometimes even two-up. 8) After all, we are talking 105 (some say 103) hp vs 100.
Yes, I know, plus the weight.

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Not accusing you of putting down the early models, just stating that European CBX'ers in majority, prefer them over
prolinks. As for the power difference, we all know it is marginal "on paper", but prolinks do feel heavier and have longer wheelbase, that also makes a difference, not just the couple ponies short!
JP

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”