CBX Values

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX Values

Post by EMS »

I know that ebay is not really an indicator of what the true values are, but at least it offers a glimpse into what is going on AND you can see actual transactions once a bike is sold.
I was looking on ebay U.K. for some CB1100R parts and I checked completed listings for CBX1000s

Here is what I found. It doesn't really support that the early Xes are more expensive, except for one that was a rare-in-the-U.K. CBX-A and had a 6 into 6 and was imported from the U.S.

CBX-Z sold for £ 4,000.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-HONDA-CB ... 474wt_1428

CBX-B sold for £ 4,765.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1981-HONDA-GR ... 118wt_1428

CBX-A with 6-6 US import sold for £ 7,150.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-HONDA-CB ... 838wt_1399

CBX-Z sold for £ 4,700.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBX-100 ... 240wt_1399

CBX-Z sold for £ 6,100.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBX1000 ... 248wt_1399

CBX-C sold for £ 6,200.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBX1000 ... 534wt_1399

Ukchap
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Ukchap »

I have owned six 1982 CBX Pro link models from brand new in 85 to my most recent which is a 100% original with only 400 miles on it. I turned down $13000 for it and have started seeing these bikes start to gain keen interest in collectors. Needless to say if they are clean it comes down to who wants it and how badly.
As you think so you become.
1982 CBX Pro Link
2013 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak
2012 Ducati Diavel Carbon.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

13K is an excellent price for any Pro-Link right now. Market is a bit soft for even the very nicest of those. Early models seem to be holding up OK, but only the very best.

Dave

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

The asking price for a 81/82 has moved up steadily over here but rarely makes two thirds what 79/80's fetch. Up to two or three years ago 81/82 bikes rarely made 25% of the value of a 79. How times change. Less than 300 81/82's imported into the UK so not so many around against around 2500 79's and one 80.
Yes,only one 80 which Honda UK wanted to check but decided to go for the 81. A buddy of mine who worked for Honda UK bought the 80 and converted it into a special. He has been trying to trace it to buy it back.
cheers Mel ~1876
:flags-australia: :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Hey guys, I have a quite interesting perspective between the two for you guys. Pro-link vs classic styled CBX.

First, me and my buddies both like CBX. I like the pro-links more, he likes classic more. The following is not meant to be derogatory in any way, but as two guys who have known each other for decades, we can be crude. This kinda sums up our talks.

Him: "The first ones are bold, mean and aggressive! See, feel and hear everything. Pro-links are overly complex and hide the engine. What is the point then?"
Me: "The classic ones are like a 'lady of the night' with it bits all lewdly popping out everywhere. The pro-links are a fine dressed lady you can take for a night on the town"

I put those up just because I believe in honest discussions. They are opinions. I love classic bikes, and classic styling. But when it comes to CBX, The pro-link for me is just the more fun bike and I think better looking. Fairings or not. It comes to what we grew up with. I have two vintage CBs. My buddy mentioned there is huge into naked GL1000s. The reason for the huge price change is many of those who kept the price on CBX high, and most assuredly the old blood here, first experience and have a special connection to the 79 and 80. Younger crowd, and those like me have different tastes. Those that are not heavy into classic bike culture, actually tend to gravitate towards my 82. Times and taste change. The 82 is a completely different bike than the 79 and both have their own value. It stands to reason that they would start becoming very competitive. Is like collectible cars. There are different generations that are pretty close to each other in desirability.

As for the 81 less than the 82 in value, I am thinking back to an article I read that talked about how the 81 came out and people just thought it was too mellow. As such the pearl white/black/blue to give it some pop.

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Goss wrote:
EMS wrote:Prices for CBXes are very much a regional thing too. Prolinks are generally more expensive in Europe than in the U.S.
Some publications which monitor used bike prices sometimes quote higher prices for prolinks than for early CBXes.
CBX prices in Europe are higher than in the U.S. but Z's will always command a higher price than a Prolink.
Mike, I agree with Goss. I had a beautiful 82 pro link which I shipped and used in France for a few years ridng it only once a year and in spite of the condiion, it took me a while to get rid of it ! Even my friend Jean Luc Millet, whom you met could not get anybody interested because him and others said that people looked for Z models, pro links were not popular at all. You may think this way because I did a few CBX rallyes/events there and the German participants had a higher proportion of pro links than their neighbors, but not so elsewhere. For the record, all I could get after over 1 year effort was a paltry 5000 euros, and the bike was a definite # 2 on your scale, with added desirable options.
JP

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

The suggested values can only viewed as a guide as the ultimate value is determined by what a buyer is willing to pay on that particular day in that particular market.

My Z is being professionally appraised right now for insurance purposes I should get the results back in the next week. The appraisers initial guesstimate was $10-$11K US, i thought that was high but he liked that it was mostly unrestored and that I still have the original parts to replace the new bits I've added.

Would I pay that much for my Z, nope but that doesn't mean someone else wont see more value in it than I do, and maybe they're right. Or I'm right and they're bonkers.

Actually I'm nuts for investing about $9k US in restoring it, it's not a sensible investment but it is a labor of love(addiction).
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”