Ignition

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ignition

Post by EMS »

Just curious: Has anybody tried this? I know it is pricey, but maybe somebody spent the money. Any feedback, if so?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBX-WORLD ... 37&vxp=mtr

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ignition

Post by mhutton »

I posted similar question with Zero response. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8433

Am seriously tempted as you can configure the curve etc. Had an interesting dialogue going with Paul Crowe at C5. He is pretty helpful & responsive. Was also considering the Sachse system which has a choice of 9 predefined curves though tragically, Volker Sachse was recently killed in a bike accident. Not gone any further as I got bogged down in other things...

twowings
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by twowings »

There's been a lot of chatter about this in other forums as well but no feedback yet from any users. It's very interesting technology and intriguing but spendy!
1979 CBX
1980 CBX
1981 CBX
1982 CBX

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

not so bad when compared with NOS side panels. Price also includes coils,HT leads etc. I believe...Which other forums??
The Dyna seems to be the de facto replacement but that uses the mechanical advancer which in 2 stage form gives a very strange curve & surely not optimal. Could certainly use some more data in this area.

twowings
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by twowings »

I've seen and read posts on this in the NGW site and the Steve Saunders Goldwing site. Someone from C5 has posted about the technology on these sites within the last few months. It's probably tough to get people to try it when it's a couple of hundred higher than the Dyna. I would like to try one of these on one of my GL1000 wings but cash flow won't allow that right now.
1979 CBX
1980 CBX
1981 CBX
1982 CBX

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

My thoughts would be that if you're running a stocker, keep what you have. It's optimum for the stock set-up. You'd get more for your money doing a good top-end job. One ignition improvement, for reliability, would be a Dyna. The only means of using the advantage of the various advance curves is if you have the pockets to buy the dyno time to sort them out. And, that should be accompanied by other engine mods. Use the $$ to buy a couple good weeks on the road at a rally sometime.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Towerguy
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Towerguy »

One thing to consider if you are worried about the expense of this unit versus the Dyna unit is this unit includes new coils and plug wires, the Dyna TIMS sells does not. Aftermarket coils are typically upwards of $200 per set. Add up all the pieces on TIMS site and you are pushing $600 for the Dyna.
David Frost

1980 Black CBX
1980 Black CBX (Project bike-in pieces)
1987 Yamaha FZR750R
2000 Honda XR650R
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 (Owned since high school)

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Larry Zimmer wrote:My thoughts would be that if you're running a stocker, keep what you have. It's optimum for the stock set-up. You'd get more for your money doing a good top-end job. One ignition improvement, for reliability, would be a Dyna. The only means of using the advantage of the various advance curves is if you have the pockets to buy the dyno time to sort them out. And, that should be accompanied by other engine mods. Use the $$ to buy a couple good weeks on the road at a rally sometime.
I totally agree with Larry on this. The stock ignition works fine on a stock bike. A valve job would be money better spent.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

As Larry suggested, if you want more performance, save your money for a faster bike. In the long run, you'll have your cake and eat it too. I know folks who spent more $$$ on their CBXs, trying for a bit more power, than I spent on my Blackbird.

(Sez the guy with a highly modified CB750) :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Spend your money on a good battery, plug wires and a set of Dyna coils.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”