Finding neutral

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Spiderlarry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Finding neutral

Post by Spiderlarry »

I have a '79 CBX that I recently acquired. I cannot get it into neutral when a down shift to a stop. The clutch seems to be adjusted correctly. Any advice before I start taking things apart? Larry

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Finding neutral

Post by spencer »

I'm sure there are others here who know much more than me, but the first thing I would suspect is that your clutch is not adjusted correctly. If it is dragging at all, it will be hard to stop between 1st and 2nd gear.
SCH Rochester, MN

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Larry:

Start by backing the cable adjustments off, then adjust the clutch actuator under the little cover. One turn out from lightly seated. Then adjust cable free play as needed. This fixes most dragging issues, but if your bike has aftermarket plates in the clutch, some of those never seem to release as well as the stock ones. But if you do the adjustment correctly, most of the time that works.

Dave

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A bit confused on your question, Larry.
Is it difficult getting it into neutral while sitting or are you trying to hit neutral while down-shifting?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

How is the chain adjustment? How much play do you have on the centerstand?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Spiderlarry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Spiderlarry »

The problem is trying to find neutral after downshifting to a stop. Chain adjustment is by the book. Not sure I understand what effect the centerstand could have on neutral. Thanks for the advice. Larry

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Nils is just saying that adjusting the chain while the bike is on the centerstand is the correct way to measure slack.

Go through the adjustment steps and I think you'll see a difference. As I said, some aftermarket fiber plates cause this and seem to always drag a bit, even perfectly adjusted.

Dave

Spiderlarry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Spiderlarry »

Dave,

Understand. Thanks for the clarification. I have adjusted the chain on the center stand but will double check this weekend when I try your clutch adjustment tip.

Larry

Spiderlarry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Spiderlarry »

Thanks to Nils for pointing out the obvious. My chain was too tight and was causing the problem. I must have read the wrong book when I adjusted it! Thanks again. Larry

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Spiderlarry wrote:Thanks to Nils for pointing out the obvious. My chain was too tight and was causing the problem. I must have read the wrong book when I adjusted it! Thanks again. Larry
My suggestion was as usual born of a similar error of my own :-). But I'm glad you're sorted out. Ride on!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Kram
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Finding neutral

Post by Kram »

Hi...can anyone advise me on what i can do to get neutral back.

Over the last few months, i've been noticing that getting back to neutral after the bike warms up is impossible.
I've checked and adjusted the freeplay over and over without any change to this.
Adjustments have been made at clutch cover, bottom cable and handlebar mant times.

When first started, the bike changes smoothly but after it warms up the gear changes get notchy and i'm unable to find neutral unless i do it while the bike is rolling before stopping....if i don't find neutral, i have to wait until the bike is cooled down and then it slips in.
Last weekend, after a 10 mile run, the Z did the useual thing of not getting to neutral before stopping so i had to switch of in gear and leave to next morning....since then i've chcked and re checked the adjustment but no luck even though i have the right freeplay.....neutral is no where to be found so cannot even start the bike.....is it possioble the clutch plates have warped ?...something i think i read on the forum.
Any ideas greatly appriciated?
Engine oil is new and gets changes every 1000 miles and has only been changed recently.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Kram wrote:Hi...can anyone advise me on what i can do to get neutral back.

Over the last few months, i've been noticing that getting back to neutral after the bike warms up is impossible.
I've checked and adjusted the freeplay over and over without any change to this.
Adjustments have been made at clutch cover, bottom cable and handlebar mant times.

When first started, the bike changes smoothly but after it warms up the gear changes get notchy and i'm unable to find neutral unless i do it while the bike is rolling before stopping....if i don't find neutral, i have to wait until the bike is cooled down and then it slips in.
Last weekend, after a 10 mile run, the Z did the useual thing of not getting to neutral before stopping so i had to switch of in gear and leave to next morning....since then i've chcked and re checked the adjustment but no luck even though i have the right freeplay.....neutral is no where to be found so cannot even start the bike.....is it possioble the clutch plates have warped ?...something i think i read on the forum.
Any ideas greatly appriciated?
Engine oil is new and gets changes every 1000 miles and has only been changed recently.
Kram, do you still have the 79 clutch basket in the bike or has someone updated the basket to a late model? If you get the sleeve and or washers mixed up the clutch will not release completely.

The clutch steels can get warped if they get over heated but you have to drive and launch the bike like a scalded dog, if the bike has been sitting for years sometimes moisture will cause the steels to rust and stick to the fibers.

Have you pulled the cover off yet to inspect the clutch?

Kram

Post by Kram »

Hi Jeff,
thanks for the reply.
I can't be sure if the 79 basket is installed as i have yet to take the cover off.
How do i identify if it's a 79 or later basket once i take it out?
Also if the sleeve and washers are wrong....whats the difference?
Regards the warped steels, i can't really say as although i've myself not 'given it popping the clutch leaving tyre smoke in my wake', i can't be sure what the previous owner did with it.
My immediate issue is not being able to start the bike unless you have a good idea for that while i get to the bottom of the neutral issue.
If i go to rebuild the clutch, is there a place on the forum which goes through it step by step.....i have a manual but wonder if there are things to be aware of when tackling the job......like what are the key things to re new....discs,plates and springs?
Apologies for being a little dim on this but the bike is fairly new to me and i've a lot to learn !

Also

Kram

Post by Kram »

Hi,
wondred if anyone knew how to get around the fact that the first disc in the clutch basket of the 7 needed is no longer avaialable....not too sure if this is because the first one is slightly different width??
This is what David Silver spares are saying?
I'm guessing the 6 that they sell are Honda parts but the 1st one needs to be replaced with an after market one?......any light anyone can shed on this would help greatly as i'm stuck as to what to buy for disc/plate replacement.
M.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The first plate has wider tabs to fit into the basket and transmit the force. I see no problem buying and using an aftermarket part or even a whole aftermarket clutch pack. May save you some money over the original Honda set and is probably as good. It's just another friction part. No rocket science. Who uses original Honda brake pads?

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”