Question for Mel Watkins - or anybody else from the U.K.

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Question for Mel Watkins - or anybody else from the U.K.

Post by EMS »

Mel, I know you are from wales - and rather proud of it - but....

What would be the best time of the year to visit Cornwall? The best compromise between good weather and small crowds. We sort of plan a trip there maybe this or next year.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Question for Mel Watkins - or anybody else from the U.K.

Post by cbxmel »

Hi Mike,

Please see my PM.

cheers Mel
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks, Mel, got it!

cbxian
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxian »

Hi Mike,

I was in Cornwall 2 weeks ago (it was suffering floods), but that was good as the rest of UK had a foot of snow!! The 'Gulf Stream' apparently gives Cornwall in SW corner of Britain an advantage!

Best time of year for anywhere in Britain would be June, July, or August. Tell us when you are coming and hopefully we can meet you. Paul Pursey is the 'CBX Riders Club (UK)' Regional Rep in that area. FYI, in mid-August the Dutch Club will host the CBX Euro Rally which will see CBXers from all over Europe converging on Holland. We can usually rustle up a CBX when our US-cousins visit!! Also, don't forget to consider "God's Country" (N.Ireland) in your itinerary ... Titanic Centre, Giants Causeway, Bushmills Whiskey Distillery, C16th Derry City Walls, and a wee 'CBX Museum!' Have a great trip.

Best Regards, IAN
Ian Foster
N.Ireland and Hong Kong
ian@netvigator.com
Home : ian@ netvigator.com (www.cam-hk.com)
Work : ian@udi-hk.com (www.udi-hk.com)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

My Grandfather was born and raised in Cornwall, worked the shipping yards until he came over to the states, one day I'll make it over there, If you meet any Bennetts's say hey for me.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Hi Jeff,

It so happens that the Uk cbx club has a regional rep Paul Bennetts. People keep thinking his name is Bennet as that is the more common way of spelling without the S on the end. Do you have that problem? Perhaps could be linked to you way back? I will pm you his email address. Paul has a superb Moto-Martin and several other CBX's and superbikes including a Busa.
cheers Mel 1876
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks again for the pointers, guys! I appreciate it. No firm plans yet. I am in Europe quite a bit, mainly on the Continent.
If I should be there during the time of the CBX meet in the NL, I would probably hook up with some friends in Germany to take a trip over.
The Cornwall plans would include a flight to Heathrow, rent a car and drive on the wrong side of the road to the northern coast of Cornwall for a week, maybe. There are a couple of particular places we want to see and things we want to do.
Thinking about early to mid September in order to avoid the high season.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

cbxmel wrote:Hi Jeff,

It so happens that the Uk cbx club has a regional rep Paul Bennetts. People keep thinking his name is Bennet as that is the more common way of spelling without the S on the end. Do you have that problem? Perhaps could be linked to you way back? I will pm you his email address. Paul has a superb Moto-Martin and several other CBX's and superbikes including a Busa.
cheers Mel 1876
On a daily basis, I can't tell you how many times I have had to repeat my name, usually I have to say " Bennett with an (S)", dbl e, dbl n, dbl t.

I think most EURO's that came to the states during the mass exodus with the last name Bennetts, just dropped the S for convenience purposes, but my Grandfather was a stuborn old cuss, must run in the family. :laughing-rolling:

I do believe most my family over the pond live in the greater London area.

Thanks Mel for the hookup,
Jeff

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Thanks Jeff,

Paul lives in the Midlands north of Birmingham in Staffordshire. Hope you do hook up with him. He also has a brother and a son so plenty of Bennetts around!

cheers Mel 1876

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The name Bennett(s) has Norman origins and came to England with William the Conqueror. It has the same roots as some french names ( e.g. "Benoit") which go back to the latin "Benedictus" which means something like "blessed".
Always knew that there was something special about Jeff ;-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

EMS wrote:The name Bennett(s) has Norman origins and came to England with William the Conqueror. It has the same roots as some french names ( e.g. "Benoit") which go back to the latin "Benedictus" which means something like "blessed".
Always knew that there was something special about Jeff ;-)
Mike thanks for the ancestral info, my sister researched it many yrs ago and found our family crest, she painted it in enamel and it was quite beautiful, it's probably in someone's basement now.

I would bet to say most the guys our age on the forum have some ties back to Europe and are 2nd or 3rd generation Europeans, Mike you are from Germany aren't you? I think it's very important to know and honor your roots, I guess the appreciation comes with age but I have always gravitated to the older generation, I'm here hanging out with you old farts aren't I. :teasing-poke:

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Hi again Jeff,

I have been in touch with Paul and he would very much like to hear from you. My family crest has a Knights gauntlet
dripping with blood! Ho,hum.

cheers Mel 1876

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Hi Mike,

Let us know when you have made your final plans, and we will see if we can meet up. (I still owe you a pint for posting those LED indicator units for me). :text-thankyouyellow:

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

cbxmel wrote:Hi again Jeff,

I have been in touch with Paul and he would very much like to hear from you. My family crest has a Knights gauntlet
dripping with blood! Ho,hum.

cheers Mel 1876
Thanks Mel, I'll shoot him a note tomorrow, I need some time to dig out the family names and our last contacts over there where you are.

Jeff

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”