CBX as primary bike

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Stormer
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: CBX as primary bike

Post by Stormer »

Ok, so I have CBX as my primary bike for a year now.
Since you do a real compreensive restoration job on the base itens, such as carbs, suspension, etc, its perfectly doable.
Of course, its not a new bike. Suspensions, brakes and cradle will you abou it.
But CBX is a Honda, what tell a lot abou its capacity to beave very well in the real world.
Even tham, sometimes patience is required, but man, its so worth it!!!!!!!!
Sory the bad english!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Thanks a lot for all the input, folks.

What are the things to look for when buying, and when freshening up one of these oldsters?
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Another question: what is a reasonable expectation in terms of engine longevity? There's a very clean-looking original in my area with 70,000km on it. There's also a local engine with 0km since rebuild which includes carbs, starter, and alternator. I am thinking that if I go for this, I should probably just preemptively pick up the fresh motor and sell off the 70,000km motor to offset cost, but maybe that's overkill.

If the old motor passes compression & leakdown tests, runs and shifts smoothly, is there anything else in particular to look for?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Syscrush, being somewhat of a noob here myself, I don't have the depth of experience so many other of the members possess, but...
I kept a '78 Yamaha SR500 and my '98 Duc 748/853 for the types of riding I prefer ( average,daily, mileage of 500km.). Since finishing my 'X', the SR is gone & the Duc is on the block. I don't need two bikes any more. The 'X' satisfies my desire for a, unique,bike capable of cornering, braking, accelerating, and racking up big-mileage days, with no fuss. I had my doubts starting out, but 3,500km. later, I'm a believer. In fact, last weekend I shepherded 12 hardy souls along one of my favorite (600km.) loops 'round Lake Placid. The group included (among others) a new Aprilia RSV4,a couple of big CBRs,and a V-rod (!?). The 'X' led the way for most of the day on, seriously twisty, secondary roads, and kicked the V-rod's butt at every opportunity.
My '82 had 34,000 miles showing when I got it,last fall. It was ridden to my place by, the kind, previous owner. Mechanical suprises? The cylinder bores were too corroded to reuse, the cam chain ($!) adjusters were in VERY poor condition, the alternator needed refurbishing & the gas tank had rusting issues also. The electrical harness was in good nick, with the exception of an overheated reg/rect connector.
I've heard of issues with switchgear and tachs & speedos.
As long as you're contemplating suspension upgrades, you might give some thought to braking improvement too.
Good luck with your search. As I was told by, more than a few of the board members, when I started in, it WILL be worth it :D

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

bikeymikey748, I'm sad to hear that you like your CBX that much... I was hoping I might be able to buy it off you. :)

Your build is one of my favorites. In fact, when I mentioned on another forum that I was interested in getting a CBX, a friend posted pics of your bike to try to encourage me to scratch that itch. I was glad to come here and find your build thread. :)

Thanks very much for the perspective. Let me know if you want to build me a bike this winter. ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

I thought it's kinda time for an update on my experience with this bike.

I had basic repairs done when I bought the bike, put almost 6,000km on it (mostly just day-trips and pleasure rides - no big multi-day rides or anything major), and lived with it for about a year to decide what was good as-is and what needed to be changed.

Over the winter, I did a bunch of research and collected a bunch of parts, a small portion of which were fit before this year's riding season began. The bike is outfitted now with Avon Roadmaster tires, a new custom wiring harness, Kawi alternator upgrade, a Hindle muffler with stealth core & dB killer insert, RFID keyless ignition, Dynojet jet kit, EBC HH brake pads, a Trac Dynamics aluminum swingarm, 16mm pivot bolt, and YSS 4-way adjustable shocks that have been custom sprung and valved for me & the bike, Supersprox rear sprocket, a nice black heavy-duty 530 x-ring chain, and a bunch of maintenance-type items (rebuilt both brake master cyls, carbs cleaned & rebuilt, a bunch of oil leaks fixed, valves adjusted, fresh battery, new petcock, etc.).

Still waiting in the wings: 13 row oil cooler with new lines, A/N fittings, and a 180° thermostat, 39mm Pro-link forks completely rebuilt/refinished with AK20 internals and TNK fork tubes, Brembo 4-piston axial calipers, Bandit 1200 brake cylinder, GSX-R 310mm rotors (shame to cover up my pretty boomerang wheels), Pro Taper CR High handlebars, KTM bar clamps & GPS mount, Knight Design lowering pegs. I absolutely can not wait to get that stuff on the bike, but it'll be another winter project - involving a moderate amount of custom fabrication.

With the new shocks, the suspension has gone from dangerous and uncomfortable to rideable. There's only so much benefit you can get from upgrading only one end of a bike - I won't get the full effect of the improved shocks until the new forks are installed. Still, the new setup is a world apart from the garbage vintage cheap aftermarket shocks that were on there when I bought the bike. With the brakes rebuilt and the upgraded pads, it's gone from frightening to merely concerning. :) The skinny bias ply tires are a nice surprise - for a slow street rider like me, they work every bit as well as 17" radials.

The carbs have been a bit of a pain, and I don't think that they're done yet. The bike doesn't start as well as I'd like, and while I'm not seeing any leaking gas or black smoke, I smell more gas at startup and soon after than I'm comfortable with. Also, there's some burbling/popping at small throttle openings from ~2500-4000 RPM, although power delivery and throttle response are nice and smooth through the whole rev range.

The bike is less comfortable than I was expecting - I guess I was thinking it would be like a big standard, but the pegs are a bit high for my stupid creaky knees, and while the clip-ons aren't low they are quite far forward. The peg position was made worse by my old horrible shocks - I had to lift my butt off the seat over any kind of road irregularity before, which greatly increased the strain on my knees. It's better now but I'm looking forward to relaxing the position further with the handlebars & lowered pegs, and improving the ride with the new forks.

What I wasn't quite prepared for was just how much I have ended up loving this bike! :D The last couple of bikes I had (KTM Duke 690 and carefully-modded SV650) were things that only people who really knew bikes could appreciate. I loved them both, loved riding them, and I also liked knowing that the specialness of what I was on was something of a personal secret. The CBX ownership experience is the exact opposite - some pedestrian who knows NOTHING about bikes just crossing the street in front of me when I'm stopped at a light will do a double-take and then grab his buddy and make him check out that huge engine. I can't stop for gas or park the bike anywhere without someone coming up and asking what it is, or telling me how badly they wanted one in the 80's. And despite its flaws (which I continue to try to address), the bike has incredible character - I like the styling more and more as I live with it longer, the engine, the tank, the line of the seat, those side covers, the golden boomerang wheels, and dear sweet merciful Christ that motor! Just hanging out in the breeze unobstructed, front and center shouting "GET OUT OF THE WAY" like Fezzik in The Princess Bride. The way it protrudes out to the sides reminds me of a badass hotrod with a 6-71 and a bug-catcher intake sticking out of the hood.

Yesterday, I rode it to work, and when I came back, there was this RC8R parked next to it:

On some levels, the RC8R is my dream bike, and it has been since I rode one at Mid-Ohio a few years ago. I love just about everything about that machine. And everything objective that a motorcycle can do, the RC8R does immeasurably better than my CBX - more powerful, lighter, WAY better suspension and brakes, lower emissions, better mileage, less maintenance, easier starting, probably even more comfortable. And by the time I have the CBX where I want it, the RC8R will be cheaper, too.

HOWEVER - I don't think that there's another bike that's ever been made that evokes the same "holy shit!" reaction from bystanders, regardless of how much or how little they know about motorcycles - nor does anything else sound better when revved out to redline.

And given that the RC8R is doing about 90mph at redline in FIRST GEAR, I get to enjoy the sound/sensations of high revs much, much more frequently on my bike.

I've gone faster on an RC8R than on anything else and it'll always have a place in my heart, but I absolutely would not trade.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

On the subject of how much I like the styling of the bike, and how that fondness increases more with time, I have a question for my fellow CBX'ers...

How long do I have to own a twin shock CBX before it's OK to start kidding the Pro-link guys about how f'n ugly their bikes are? :laughing-rolling:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote:On the subject of how much I like the styling of the bike, and how that fondness increases more with time, I have a question for my fellow CBX'ers...

How long do I have to own a twin shock CBX before it's OK to start kidding the Pro-link guys about how f'n ugly their bikes are? :laughing-rolling:

;-) Just remember, Phil: Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And you can not argue about personal taste.
After all, the Prolinks are CBXes too. And following the title of your own thread here, they do have a leg up on the 'twin shock" models as far as usefulness as a primary bike. :whistle:

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

EMS wrote:
Syscrush wrote:On the subject of how much I like the styling of the bike, and how that fondness increases more with time, I have a question for my fellow CBX'ers...

;-) Just remember, Phil: Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And you can not argue about personal taste.
After all, the Prolinks are CBXes too. And following the title of your own thread here, they do have a leg up on the 'twin shock" models as far as usefulness as a primary bike. :whistle:
:text-goodpost:

Agree on above statement. I like the 81 and 82s more than the 79/80s. I started with, and only work with golden age hondas. 67 to 83. Personal opinion, the 79/80s make me think of one of those ladies of the night with a bit too much hanging out uncovered in front and in back. Prolinks are properly dressed for an evening of fine culture ^.^

Some day, I will get a second prolink, preferably with an irreparable front end, just to build one with a fork mounted deflector and minus the luggage. CBX wouldn't get much smexier than that. Love the flowing front to back line from tank to tail. Braver man than I am to ride it regularily. Not for power, but just cause of other people on the road. I don't even like riding my nighthawk regularily anymore just from a preservation standpoint.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Syscrush wrote:
Yesterday, I rode it to work, and when I came back, there was this RC8R parked next to it:

I've gone faster on an RC8R than on anything else and it'll always have a place in my heart, but I absolutely would not trade.
The bike looks great Phil! I'm interested in hearing your impressions of the cartridge front end and the whole suspension as a package.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Very well said, Phil.
The effect that a CBX has on so many of our feeling/senses sets in quickly.
Addictive is a good word to use in conjunction with these brutes.

bikeymikey748
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by bikeymikey748 »

Phil, great post. I'm heartened to see that you are loving the whole 'X' experience 8)
My eyes got a little larger reading that, in the end, the KTM would likely cost less than your modded Honda ! Yikes :o
I'm 500km. short of hitting my first 20,000km. since my build first rolled. Like you, and SOOOOO many other good folks here, there's no going back.
Keep the updates and insights coming, I always look forward to reading what you have to share.
Nice job, Phil.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Phil,

In your very interesting post yesterday you mention burbling/popping at 2500/4000 rpm. Have you checked the air cut off diaphram on the side of carb 1 under the small cover? To check,remove cover carefully making sure you do not lose the small O ring that should be underneath the cover and there is also a small spring. Then press the rubber diaphram with your index finger to see if any pin holes. If so that is the cause of the popping. Either replace or some people tell me you can seal the hole with Superglu. Not done that myself though. all the best Mel 1876
:flags-canada: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Syscrush wrote:...........How long do I have to own a twin shock CBX before it's OK to start kidding the Pro-link guys about how f'n ugly their bikes are? :laughing-rolling:

I suspect deep down you really want of these beauties.....
image.jpg
Next time I'm in Toronto I will even let you ride her :D

PC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Sharpie66 wrote:Next time I'm in Toronto I will even let you ride her :D

PC
Let's make that the next time I'm in Holland, NY - that way I don't have to worry about any of my friends seeing me. :lol:

While I really don't like the lines of the Pro-Link bikes, yours is my favorite color scheme. Those 3-tone blue stripes look so awesome.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”