CBX as primary bike

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

CBX as primary bike

Post by Syscrush »

Hey gang, I'm new here, learning more about the CBX and trying to rationalize my way into buying one.

I live in Toronto, and I almost never ride in the city. My usage of the bike would be for some lightly-loaded weekend/day trips, a bit of cruising around, and 1-2 longer heavily-loaded week+ trips per year. Average time between rides would probably be 2-3 weeks from Apr-Nov, and sitting in storage the rest of the time.

My concerns about getting a CBX for this kind of duty come down to two things:

1. Letting a carbureted bike sit unused for 2-3 weeks at a time runs a risk of those carbs gumming up.

2. Getting on a 33 year old bike and pointing it for a place 1,000-3,000 km away, and riding it there through a mix of interstate, remote back roads, heat, rain, stop & go, etc. for 5-15 hours/day is putting a lot of trust into machinery & electrics that are arguably long past their "best before" date.

If I do this, the plan includes replacing all suspension with high-quality modern stuff (a task which I know carries its own risks), and giving the electrics a preemptive complete overhaul.

So, what are the potential pitfalls, and what's a good way to mitigate them?

Thanks,
Phil.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX as primary bike

Post by EMS »

I must say that I do not share the opinion of many that letting a bike sit unused for, maybe, four weeks will pose a problem with gasoline going bad. I know our gas is pretty lousy, but it is not that bad. I currently own 16 bikes and they all get ridden during a 7-month season in Northeast Ohio. Some more some less, and the CBXes definitely less. I do have, sometimes more than 4 weeks between getting around to starting a CBX a nd they alwasy start up and run.

As far as taking a CBX for a longer trip of 1,000 - 3,000 km, it will not do worse than any other bike, provided it is maintained. Sure, with a 33 year old bike, you need to stay on top of things and some stuff is prone to reach the end of its life, but that's up for the owner to monitor and take care of. It all depends on how much stress the particular bike has already seen. I would rather take a 20,000 mile 33 year old CBX on a longer trip than a 100,000 mile 10 year old BMW.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Syscrush.
If i was going on a 3,000 km jaunt i would be looking for a bike with a fairing of some sort so i assume you are looking for a ProLink.
I use Shell V-Power 91 with no ethanol and have no problem with the gas integrity.
Like Mike said, starting with a well maintained CBX and they will put a HUGE smile on your face.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Welcome to the site, Syscrush.
If i was going on a 3,000 km jaunt i would be looking for a bike with a fairing of some sort so i assume you are looking for a ProLink.
I guess that's a difference between you and me. ;)

For public roads, even long rides, I prefer naked, as it keeps me from misbehaving toooooooooo badly.

I've done multiple 1300km days on my SV (naked with clip-ons) and my Duke (just plain naked).
I use Shell V-Power 91 with no ethanol and have no problem with the gas integrity.
Good to know. I had bad luck with Shell winter gas one year and have avoided all Shell gas since. I guess the key is to look for ethanol-free gas unless I know I'm gonna burn through the tankful in short order.
Like Mike said, starting with a well maintained CBX and they will put a HUGE smile on your face.
I bought my SV as an abused beater, thinking that since I planned to mod or replace everything on it, this would save me money. WRONG! Since then, I'll only buy a bike if everything I can see or check is perfect. I've become a pretty fussy buyer.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

A 1,300 km day on a Duke or SV? Kids today.
Those days are long gone for me.
A couple weeks ago i did a 500 kms day to Mosport on my naked '81 and that was close to my upper limit.
Good luck with your search.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:I must say that I do not share the opinion of many that letting a bike sit unused for, maybe, four weeks will pose a problem with gasoline going bad. I know our gas is pretty lousy, but it is not that bad. I currently own 16 bikes and they all get ridden during a 7-month season in Northeast Ohio. Some more some less, and the CBXes definitely less. I do have, sometimes more than 4 weeks between getting around to starting a CBX a nd they alwasy start up and run.
This is very good to know.

I've heard that because the carb bank is so wide, that the left cyl is more prone to hydro lock if the bike is left on a sidestand. Is there any validity to that, or is it an old wives' tale?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:A 1,300 km day on a Duke or SV? Kids today.
Well, for what it's worth, I was in my 40's for the long rides on the Duke, and I wasn't shy about popping ASA to get through it. ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

Mike,
"I would rather take a 20,000 mile 33 year old CBX on a longer trip than a 100,000 mile 10 year old BMW."
Are you saying you where going to lend your Pro-Link to Chuck next year? What a nice guy.:)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

gak1047 wrote:Mike,
"I would rather take a 20,000 mile 33 year old CBX on a longer trip than a 100,000 mile 10 year old BMW."
Are you saying you where going to lend your Pro-Link to Chuck next year? What a nice guy.:)
:D :D :D Well, if Chuck promises to return it with two new tires, a new starter motor and a thorough service inspection done, I may just do that..... :laughing-rolling:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: I've heard that because the carb bank is so wide, that the left cyl is more prone to hydro lock if the bike is left on a sidestand. Is there any validity to that, or is it an old wives' tale?
It is not really because the carb bank is wide, it is because the No 1 carb is the lowest and the fuel will drain into it and from there into the No 1 cylinder.
Only the '79 CBX could be affected, if the petcock is being left open and the bike has not been converted to the vacuum valve, which some have. All 80-82 CBXes have the vacuum valve, which shuts off fuel when the engine stops.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote:
Syscrush wrote: I've heard that because the carb bank is so wide, that the left cyl is more prone to hydro lock if the bike is left on a sidestand. Is there any validity to that, or is it an old wives' tale?
It is not really because the carb bank is wide, it is because the No 1 carb is the lowest and the fuel will drain into it and from there into the No 1 cylinder.
Only the '79 CBX could be affected, if the petcock is being left open and the bike has not been converted to the vacuum valve, which some have. All 80-82 CBXes have the vacuum valve, which shuts off fuel when the engine stops.
So, if there's a vacuum petcock, or if the mechanical petcock is turned off every time, there's no risk about flooding/hydro lock that's specific to the CBX?
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Syscrush wrote: So, if there's a vacuum petcock, or if the mechanical petcock is turned off every time, there's no risk about flooding/hydro lock that's specific to the CBX?
Should not be.

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

EMS wrote:
gak1047 wrote:Mike,
:D :D :D Well, if Chuck promises to return it with two new tires, a new starter motor and a thorough service inspection done, I may just do that..... :laughing-rolling:
Well now that he has the "Purple People Eater" your Pro Link is safe :clap:

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

gak1047 wrote:Well now that he has the "Purple People Eater" your Pro Link is safe :clap:
Funny coincidence - I used to have a bright purple Katana 600, and my forum name on Maximum-Suzuki is PurplePeopleEater. ;)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

This "Purple People Eater" is a lot LARGER than your Katana, and a lot SLOWER as well.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”