CBX as primary bike

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX as primary bike

Post by Syscrush »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:The bike looks great Phil!
Thanks Jeff.
I'm interested in hearing your impressions of the cartridge front end and the whole suspension as a package.
That's 2 of us! I'm dying to get that front end on, I think it's gonna make a world of difference. The rear is much, much better already. At highway speeds with my old craptastic Fox knockoff shocks, a 2" bump would lift me out of the seat and a 2" pothole would bottom them out. I don't even understand how that's possible.

I'm still getting used to being able to hit road irregularities without having to stand on the pegs. :-)

But it's hard to dial in those shocks when the front still has the undersprung damping rod setup. Once I have the matched set on, it should be a whole new world.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

EMS wrote: ;-) Just remember, Phil: Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. And you can not argue about personal taste.
Truer words were never spoken. Or posted, I guess.

It's funny, I still prefer the styling of the 1st gen SV650 (curvy) to the pointy style that followed, but the pointy is a better bike with EFI standard and optional ABS:

Good...

BETTER!

And I prefer the styling of the earlier Duke 690 with the underslung exhaust over the new, improved version:
Not bad, for sure...

THAT'S THE STUFF!

But I like the later XB Buell bikes over the earlier S models, so hopefully that means that I'm not just stubbornly nostalgic. :)
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

RJ CB650 wrote:Personal opinion, the 79/80s make me think of one of those ladies of the night with a bit too much hanging out uncovered in front and in back. Prolinks are properly dressed for an evening of fine culture ^.^
Excellent! You can make fun of my bike as looking like a tarted-up whore, and I can razz you about preferring a blobby schoolmarm. :laughing-rolling:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

cbxmel wrote:In your very interesting post yesterday you mention burbling/popping at 2500/4000 rpm. Have you checked the air cut off diaphram on the side of carb 1 under the small cover? To check,remove cover carefully making sure you do not lose the small O ring that should be underneath the cover and there is also a small spring. Then press the rubber diaphram with your index finger to see if any pin holes. If so that is the cause of the popping. Either replace or some people tell me you can seal the hole with Superglu. Not done that myself though. all the best
Thanks very much for the pointer. I'll have a look at it!
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

bikeymikey748 wrote:Keep the updates and insights coming, I always look forward to reading what you have to share.
Nice job, Phil.
Thanks, brother!

I'm still hoping to make it back to Montreal with my wife early this fall, but I don't know yet when it's gonna happen. As soon as I have details nailed down, I'll hit you up to see if we can arrange a get-together. I would really love a chance to buy you a beer AND check out your bike in person - even though it doesn't have enough shocks. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Sharpie66 »

Syscrush wrote:
Sharpie66 wrote:Next time I'm in Toronto I will even let you ride her :D

PC
Let's make that the next time I'm in Holland, NY - that way I don't have to worry about any of my friends seeing me. :lol:

While I really don't like the lines of the Pro-Link bikes, yours is my favorite color scheme. Those 3-tone blue stripes look so awesome.
Woot Woot. :laughing-rolling: I love it!

I never liked white bikes until I saw the '82 Prolink. Plus blue is my fave color.

Amazing what you have done with your own CBX. I can only strive to have that kind of ability in the future (and pocketbook).
Syscrush wrote:
RJ CB650 wrote:Personal opinion, the 79/80s make me think of one of those ladies of the night with a bit too much hanging out uncovered in front and in back. Prolinks are properly dressed for an evening of fine culture ^.^
Excellent! You can make fun of my bike as looking like a tarted-up whore, and I can razz you about preferring a blobby schoolmarm. :laughing-rolling:
....."a blobby schoolmarm" Where do you come up with this stuff? :lol:

PC
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Very well said, Phil.
The effect that a CBX has on so many of our feeling/senses sets in quickly.
Addictive is a good word to use in conjunction with these brutes.
Well, this bike has been a bigger pain than any other I've owned, and I'm hooked anyhow. Either there's something very special about this machine, or I'm just a sucker for abuse. :o
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Syscrush wrote:
Sounds like the discussion my friend (who is a huge fan of the 79/80 cbx) always has. He likes em well endowed women... er bikes... :DD

I will admit, that classic fairing and the luggage does bulken it up a fair bit. But not so much the blobby schoolmarm, more the one with the big poofy dress, hair done up and geeky glasses... But with a bit of style.. :whistle:

I think they would look best with the cases removed, and a new fairing built to tie into the vertical deflectors, but something more modern and swoopy for the fairing. If I can find an 81 in decent, but need of rehab condition once my 82 is done, I fully plan on building that and keeping original colors. It is the way the tank swoops down into the side cover panels, then around to back of the seat that wins over the styling for me. the 6-6 exhaust, well, I am not a fan of the horns. On my 650, the 4-4s I have going into 15" slashcut glasspacks. Looks and sounds amazing without it being obnoxiously loud.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

While we're talking about my ownership experiences with this bike, I'll re-share these pics from after I finished a (for me) gruelling detailing session:

Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Is definitely still sharp, and nice wheel swap. Going to get those header pipes coated at all? Would really accent nice with some ceramic powder coating ^.^

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

RJ CB650 wrote:Is definitely still sharp, and nice wheel swap. Going to get those header pipes coated at all? Would really accent nice with some ceramic powder coating ^.^
Almost all of what you see in those pics (in particular the paint and the wheels) was done by the previous owner.

Yes, I want to get the pipes ceramic coated flat black.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”