The Travesty

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

The Travesty

Post by CopperCollar »

I bought another forum members CBX, She is a 79 Model Frame # CB1-2001023, Engine # CB1E-2001502.

She arrived late last night so I just rolled her into the garage. This am I finally got a look at her. Now I have never named a bike or car in my life but this one begged to have a name so she is known in this household as " The Travesty". She really should have been sent to the junk yard or ..eh gads....Fleabay But I just can't stand to see a bike parted out, especially the CBX...yeah, yeah I know...how else would we get parts for our bike....I hear ya but I just couldn't see the Travesty put out like an old mare.

The Travesty has a locked up engine, at the least it would be a valve at worst a bent conrod. This am I dropped the engine and began the first step in this adventure, I approached it as if I was getting to wrench on a Wright R-3350.....Well to my dismay and expectation I found #1 conrod as crooked as a dogs hind leg , Damn!

So here I am to embark on a total restoration. I will be picking the brains of the many here who have gone forth with such an edeavor and most likely be soliciting parts. I am all about paying up and paying forward. CBX'ers everywhere are a killer bunch and I look forward to posting The Travesty's resurrection process.

The Travesty:
The Travesty's Affliction:
I don't think the ole girl ever had an oil change, I should clarify that the forum member I bought her from recieved her in this condition:
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

ericfreeman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: The Travesty

Post by ericfreeman »

Love that connecting rod!! Should make an interesting desk paper weight: you can tell interested people it was designed that way to cancel out vibrations. Classic case of hydrolocking #1. Glad you're taking on the challenge: nothing more satisfying than breathing life into a dead beastie.

Eric

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Congrats on taking on the project! If you have gotten this far, the rest is easy. Give me the letter code from the other side of the rod. If I have a match - you can have it. Check out the bearing and make sure the piston isn't damaged beyond scuff marks underneath. I've reused every piston and rod bearing that were connected to such rods and those engines are still running fine today. Let us know your needs.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

By the way, and sorry for the inside joke, but did the bike come with a set of carbs?!

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

By the looks of that oil pan something was self destructing, unless that isn't ferrous materials I see laying there.

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

ericfreeman wrote: Glad you're taking on the challenge: nothing more satisfying than breathing life into a dead beastie.

Eric

+ 1

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:By the way, and sorry for the inside joke, but did the bike come with a set of carbs?!

Dave
:D :D :D :D :D We need a smiley that says: Rolling On The Floor Laughing :D :D

Just in case, CopperCollar, this is not meant to belittle your problems!
Let us know if we can help. Parts are available from many members here.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Yep, I'm in on helping you. Shouldn't be too bad, right? I mean it's only a valve train issue, right? :-)

Get her apart and tell us what is what. You'll have the wind at your back.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is probably premature and you have bigger issues to address, but make a note to change the studs in the block that hold the cylinder/head. This is an early engine number, which, if never been apart, still has the smooth studs instead of the later "spiral" studs. They were introduced at engine serial ...3478 for increased strength. The smooth ones had problems and you may very well snap one when you put the engine back together.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

If you need carbs, "Texas" John just offered his set up for $1000 on CBXWorld. :-)

Pretty comical...

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

What an f...n jerk :roll: :roll: I hope Dave Krager let's him have a word or two about his shenenigans.
At this time, I wouldn't want them anymore, not even for $750.- Let him sit on the dam things until the clearcoat has yellowed :mrgreen:

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

daves79x wrote:By the way, and sorry for the inside joke, but did the bike come with a set of carbs?!

Dave
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

daves79x wrote:Congrats on taking on the project! If you have gotten this far, the rest is easy. Give me the letter code from the other side of the rod. If I have a match - you can have it. Check out the bearing and make sure the piston isn't damaged beyond scuff marks underneath. I've reused every piston and rod bearing that were connected to such rods and those engines are still running fine today. Let us know your needs.

Dave

Dave this rod is a letter "C" on one side of the rod and then there is the number "3" on the other side, These are on the flats of the big end caps .The bearings color code is odd...looks orange or red but I see no reference to those colors in the book. I had read a lot off the forum in regards to hydroloc so I was prepared for the find. Looks like I can reuse the piston, haven't pulled the valve yet. I have to budget one issue at a time. Nearly every compression ring is stuck in the lands so at a min. I will have to re-ring. I figure I'll take the cylinder and head to the machine shop and have them boiled and the cylinders lightly honed since there is no ring ridge I suspect I will be okay.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I have several sets of NOS rings and bearings in my stash. When you figure out what you need make a list and post it here.

N.
Nils Menten

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Thanks Nils.

I'll see whats up in there. I havent measured out the pistons but I suspect they are stock since the engine does not look like it's ever been apart.

I have a shift fork that looks iffy, I'll post a pick at some time and see what the collective thought is on this.

Mike

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”