Riding a CB1100F

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Riding a CB1100F

Post by EMS »

Normally, you would have to travel to Australia or even Japan to catch a ride on the new Honda CB1100 :roll: , but I was lucky enough to get one during my trip to Germany, thanks to my old college buddy Manfred who still works at Honda. 8) They have one for “evaluation” and he offered it to me to take for a spin, if I would promise I wouldn’t crash it. :wink:
The weather in Germany wasn’t much better than in Ohio, but Tuesday had a short break in the perpetual rain and lower than average temperatures, just enough to make me seize the opportunity.
The first thing I was disappointed in was the color. The bike was white. I had hoped for a red one, to compare it to the Candy Glory Red of a CBX. :wink: In this color, the absence of pin-stripes other than the hint of one on the tank becomes more obvious. I also didn’t like the chrome fenders. I think they take the bike too far into the 70s and it becomes a mixed celebration of CB750 DOHC and SOHC. The taillight is in the same category and almost looks like a left-over part from the first CB750 of 1969. I would have liked a silver engine better than the black one, but I guess the thermal requirements made this necessary as it is an oil/air-cooled motor sporting a huge, 8-row oil cooler. The instruments are nice. Easy to read, big round analog speedometer and tach. Red needles and white numbers on a dark blue-ish background are reminiscent of the big Hondas of the late 70s early 80s. Even the small digital display between them with a clock, the odometer, neutral, oil and other warning lights, reminds you of the small square display the 750 and 900F had. Speedo shows 220 km/h and the tach red-lines at 8,500. Tires are 18 inch with 110/80 in the front and 140/70 in the rear on wheels that are a unique looking 5-double-spoke cast design with black centers and aluminum finished rims. An old fashioned spoke wheel would propably have looked nice also. The seat is retro but comfortable and my earlier expressed preference for the two-up version met with another disappointment: There isn’t all that much room. Especially when the rider wants a little relaxed position and not push against the tank, there is little space left behind him for the passenger. Finally, as mentioned here by others, the 4-1 single muffler on the right leaves the left side looking unfinished and the bike unbalanced.
A great thing about the bike is, however, it has a centerstand! Well done, Honda! 8)
Hitting the starter is immediately responded to by a nice deep growl through the exhaust. Even when cold, the engine runs nice and smooth and follows agitations through small twists of the throttle without hesitation. In spite of the lack of a great classic look of a bank of carburetors, there is something to be said for fuel injection. :D Transmission accepts the foot’s call for first gear without resistance and off it goes. Clutch pull is typical Honda easy and gear change is absolutely great, perfectly precise and soft, but with a classic touch and according to my taste...: Lever travel is not too short and not to long. Just right. A 15 minute ride through city streets and a little stop and go through traffic lights, gives me the opportunity to get a little more familiar with the ergonomics and the bike a chance to warm up. There is the entrance ramp to the A3 and with a determined twist of the throttle I can make use of the “acceleration lane”.
While the bike misses the brutal grunt and forward pull of the CB1300S I rode a couple of years ago,
( viewtopic.php?t=2567&highlight=cb1300s )it still has enough confidence instilling acceleration at roll-on and it made it easy to find a spot in the moving traffic. (which is a nightmare around Frankfurt) . Getting over into the very left lane is also no big deal, in spite of BMWs, Mercedeses and Audis closing in rapidly. I can detect none of the famous wobble and weave that was a trade-mark of the Bold d’Ors and CBXes. Even the (relative) high speed turn from the A3 to the A5 North with a slight downhill banking and a decreasing radius feels quite fine. Here the Autobahn opens up to 5 lanes and there is plenty of room to let the CB fly – the 120km/h speed limit signs, present during rush hour are switched off. At around 170 km/h, (105 mph) I quit pursuing faster speeds because the wind pressure on the unfaired bike becomes really uncomfortable. The wind catches under my helmet and tries to jerk my head around a little too much to feel safe in Autobahn traffic. I start to look for the next exit to see how the F will do in turns. And I know there is the perfect road: The ascent to the Feldberg mountain, which is the Mecca of the biker community in the area.
Here the 1100 performs flawlessly. Mind you, it is not a MotoGP replica and would probably be left far behind by one of them, but you know that. The way you sit on the bike is completely different. It is not the crouched-over position, provoking a hanging-off style, nor is it the heel-forward, sight-seeing cruising. It is a determined presence with a nice handlebar position telling you that you are in control and that wants to make you flick this stallion through the curves. And you can do this. Although the bike’s underpinning is far from a performance chassis, with 41mm conventional forks, average brakes and no-frills rear shocks, the ride through the turns, up the mountain is swift. And fun! I have actually no problem following a guy on a bike with a significantly better paper form – a new Kawasaki Z1000 , but whether this was because of rider disposition or the fact that 90 horsepower are plenty enough to move on public roads, is open for debate.
In the parking lot on top, after placing it amongst all the others, the bike soon draws a crowd of motorcyclists knowledgeable enough about the rarity of it. I was able to dodge all questions by standing away acting like I had nothing to do with it.
Final verdict: A really nice retro bike. Enough performance in both motor and chassis for its purpose. Would it be a sales success in Germany? I doubt it. Not enough “old f..ts” to be willing to buy back some of their own motorcycle past. Not focused enough for the younger crowd.
In the U.S.? Was the Kawasaki W650 a success? Decide for yourself. 8)
Last edited by EMS on Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 8 times in total.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Riding a CB1100

Post by cbxtacy »

I guess whether it's a success depends on how cheap Honda can market it. I like the fuel injection and if they can get it in the $7K range it might be a success.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxtacy wrote: if they can get it in the $7K range .
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. We talked about this. The price in Japan for the version with ABS (which this was) is slightly over 1,000,000 Yen. :shock: If they would sell it in Europe, the price would most likely not be much less than 11,000 Euro.
No idea what the strategy for the U.S. would do to the price, but it is unlikely it would be much under $11,000.- :roll:

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Interesting report, thanks! even if unobtainium here... :x
Price would definitely affect its success, hard to tell with Honda, they have different sets of measures depending on the country! the RC51 dold for 10G's here while it was a pretty expensive limited model in Europe.
There is a lot to say about the marketing success of "nostalgia" bikes, not sure Ducati range is flying out of dealers doors, Triumph may be?
JP

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

cbxtacy wrote:I like the fuel injection and if they can get it in the $7K range it might be a success.
Normally I'd say it's a great thing to have, but if you're trying to market a retro-bike and you have to hit a certain price point to even be able to build it at all, then I think the FI and ABS are probably both total misses . . . . standard brakes (on a retro) and a pretty bank of 4 chromed top carbs would have been much nicer, IMO

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The ABS is an option on the bike sold in Japan. You wouldn't have to buy it. And the fuel injection? It may be less expensive than four carburetors :? :?
Besides, remember, this is an air-cooled engine. The challenge to meet emission regulations is quite a task considering the thermal balance. Probably not possible with a carb. :?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Riding a CB1100F

Post by EMS »

Bump!
How time flies!
It is three years ago, that I rode this bike while on a trip in Germany

The CB1100 is finally available in the U.S. and all the magazines are full of test reports. You may want to check if I had the right impressions of it.
Funny how they all compare it to "other CBs", CB750K and F, CB900F and CB1100F, but no mention of the CB-"X". I guess the X was and still is in a category all of its own.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

$13,000 up here in Canada. Add taxes and dealer prep and you are looking at $15,000.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:$13,000 up here in Canada. Add taxes and dealer prep and you are looking at $15,000.
Yes, Steve, but chocolate is more expensive in Canada too..... :D :D

Houtman
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Houtman »

I bought an CB1100 with ABS in april,paid just under $11.000 on the road and love the bike.(even after having a flat rear tire at 347 miles and having to buy an expensive replacement due to its size!)
The clutch and brakes are greatand I love the looks of the bike.I would have preferred a silver engine (like in the UK ) but Honda told me that the American market prefers black engines.I also would have liked all silver wheels.The tank is a little smaller and after 125 miles you better look for gas.The seat is typical Honda ,nice for 50 miles and than becomes hard as the foam is too soft and you sit on the seat pan.I am 6 ft and the seat could be higher for me as my knees are bend too much.I will soon order a Corbin seat as they are wider and your weight is spread over more sq. inches.There are few aftermarket parts available from Honda but hopefully more will come out and many VERY nice parts are available from Japanese companies thru Webike Japan.I am thinking of taking this bike to the CBX rally in GA later this month.For long distance travel my CB1000 are much better but the CB1100 is a real easy bike to ride.There is a great forum in the USA and also one in the UK.The bike is selling quite well here but mostly to people 55 and over.I am 62 at the moment but used to be much younger years ago .See you in Cornelia. Safe Riding John.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

John,

Only just picked up your post about your new bike which you mentioned in your recent email. I have been thinking about buying one having recently seen one at the local Honda dealers and talked to a guy I met with one at my local gas station. He is very pleased with his and most certainly the red looks great up close. Also looked at a white one although with all the cops on white bikes I am not so sure! Over here they sell for £8950.00 which around $14000.00 on the road. You guys are so lucky with the prices you pay for bikes which much lower than ours. All the road tests I have seen seem to like the whole package of quality fittings which are all up to the normal Honda standard. Will let you know if I get one. Hope to see you next time your over here.
:flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike: all the best Mel
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxmel wrote: . You guys are so lucky with the prices you pay for bikes which much lower than ours.
all the best Mel

We make less money than you guys do! :mrgreen:

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

And you get shorter vacations! I suppose it all evens up in the end Mike.
cheers Mel
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”