For Mel Watkins - Black 1979 CBX

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: For Mel Watkins - Black 1979 CBX

Post by daves79x »

So basically your dealer let you order the bike before production began? I don't recall dealers in the US (at least around here) knowing much about the CBX until they showed up in July of '78.

Thanks Mike for that great explanation of the black '79 theory!

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

yes...I assumed that pre-orders would've been common procedure everywhere :?

hmmm, I guess technically that pushes me up near the top of the list as one of the first cbx owners even though I didn't take possession until late spring or early summer...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

When did you actually get your bike, as I said, they weren't here until July, maybe June at the earliest on the West Coast?

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

not sure...I would've thought may or june...I found an old registration for it from 1981, it was dated may 16th...in those days we typically renewed our yearly registration on the anniversary month or the month before it the old one expired...which is why I'm thinking it was either may or june that I actually took possession...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I just came across and old thread where the poster in Spain says first plate registration was May 28 of 78...

I've seen other mentions of the bike not arriving in Canada until late 78, and that is absolutely wrong... I had my first lowside in June or July and I went on a 2K mile road trip to the west coast in August... I never would've bought it if it was a late summer or fall delivery date...

edit...just going through my CBX II book the May delivery date would seem impossible, late June would appear to be the earliest date possible...

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

We had the first ones in June 78 at the Isle of Man TT during that month when used by the Track Marshall's . First sold to general public July. I own the head cams and few other parts for sandcast number 28 built November 1977. It was one of the Honda UK press bikes and shown at Earls Court London motorcycle show.
all the best Mel #1876 :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I was able to narrow down the total bike production for the month of April 1978 to between 2545 and 2556 :dance:
I am pretty sure that Honda made an effort to ship bikes to all important markets and have them available for sale at the same time.
The only versions that were not available from early production were South Africa, Australia and the General Export models.
It is also likely, that Honda built the various model configurations for different countries in batches: First the ones for the U.S. then for Europe/U.K. and then for Canada. This is based on the earliest VIN number records for each version.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote: It is also likely, that Honda built the various model configurations for different countries in batches: First the ones for the U.S. then for Europe/U.K. and then for Canada. This is based on the earliest VIN number records for each version.
not sure what you're claiming here...are saying americans and europeans got the cbx before I did in Canada?
my serial number is 20001498 ...if that's the claim I ain't buying it :naughty: , I crashed my Z in July, did the repairs and went on a road trip in '78 August...I know it was summer of '78 because I was still living with my parents, in '79 I bought my own home and couldn't afford any more road trips...any suggestion that Canadians got the Z in the fall of '78 as stated in CBX book II is factually wrong.

the only point I may concede is that I never took possession until early July rather than June... age does cloud the memory :? :D

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote: not sure what you're claiming here...are saying americans and europeans got the cbx before I did in Canada?
I am pretty sure that Honda made an effort to ship bikes to all important markets and have them available for sale at the same time
It is also likely, that Honda built the various model configurations for different countries in batches: First the ones for the U.S. then for Europe/U.K. and then for Canada. This is based on the earliest VIN number records for each version.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote: It is also likely, that Honda built the various model configurations for different countries in batches: First the ones for the U.S. then for Europe/U.K. and then for Canada. This is based on the earliest VIN number records for each version.
if you're gonna get all annoyed (large/bold/font) read what you wrote... "First the ones for the U.S. then for Europe/U.K. and then for Canada." you indicated an order of delivery, that was you and not my misunderstanding of what you wrote.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

I will be visiting VIN # 000044 tomorrow when I pick up my new to me Triumph Hurricane in Fresno. It was without
a doubt in the first delivery of production CBX's anywhere in the world. It was delivered in Fresno, California.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

wyly wrote:if you're gonna get all annoyed (large/bold/font) read what you wrote... "First the ones for the U.S. then for Europe/U.K. and then for Canada." you indicated an order of delivery, that was you and not my misunderstanding of what you wrote.
Really :roll: :roll: I made it all bolt and red, so you would understand what I said. It seems you still did not. The "First..then..and then.." clearly refers to the built in the sentence before.
In a remark above that I clearly said that I believe that Honda made an effort to ship to all important markets and have them available at the same time.
It is very unlikely, that Honda finished one bike after the other and shipped them individually.
The records indicate that the first VIN numbers were intended for the U.S. VIN 20 00042 was the first bike built for the U.S. market. VIN 20 00871 was the first bike built for Germany, VIN 20 00876 the first bike built for the U.K., VIN 20 00879 the first bike built for France, VIN 20 00881 was the first bike built for European Direct Sales (ED) and VIN 20 01396 was the first bike built for the Canadian market.
Do me a favor and read my posts and do not read anything into them.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

EMS wrote: Do me a favor and read my posts and do not read anything into them.
and do me a favour and learn proper internet etiquette...when someone prints in all CAPS it's implied and taken aggression, the same applies here as to larger than required font in Bold/Red... :roll:

I read it as you wrote it, if I interpreted wrong then it was due to how you wrote it...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Somebody please help me out here!!!

I responded to the question of the gentleman from South Africa because nobody else wanted or could.

I made a post and used red and larger font to clearly mark the connection within statements to clear up potential misunderstandings and to show that at no time I was questioning any position or opinion of anyone else.

Once again, I am being accused of being "aggressive" and the villain of the peace.

It seems that anytime I post something it descends into an argument of some kind, even if I only state the facts - which I did here (as far as we know them)
It just shows, I really have no place on that forum here.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Mike and Wyly,
This is all so unnecessary. Mike, you are like a fine wine that gets better with age and your knowledge of
the CBX is unparalleled.
Wyly, don't take it as a personal attack. It wasn't. We are not all as versed as you with internet etiquette,
particularly myself. Sometimes it can be beneficial to all concerned to just let small perceived slights go.
I promise you that when you are under attack here you will know it for sure. This is a happy place.
Now, let's talk about the election :laughing-rolling:
Very Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”