We're Going Racing....!

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: And the results so far?

Post by alimey4u2 »

Ringnalda wrote:
Oh and I almost forgot:

THIRD PLACE !!!!!

Dry tomorrow,

Jan
One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.... 8) 8) 8)

Congrats to ALL.... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Sweepings

Post by cbxmel »

Well done Geoff and Jan.
Mel & the Uk gang.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Racing along...

Post by Ringnalda »

Sunday was dry, and Sweeping's is still suffering from fuel delivery issues. This will be fixed properly after the mid-Ohio meeting. Quick vid of a scrub lap between races:

Sweeping's came 6th in the dry race on Sunday, so two finishes in two races, one on the podium. What a BLAST!

Many thanks to Dave McMunn for technical help, Tom Neimeijer for parts borrowed from the Bonneville bike, and many others. Bill Brint from TIMS and his crew for letting us use their garage.

Watch this space for Sweeping's next outing!
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Mon May 17, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed embeded video
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

blammo
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by blammo »

Great job on the bike, Jan! Sheesh, I wish I'd noticed this thread before VMD! Looking forward to seeing the bike up close.

Ben

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Sweeping's part deux

Post by Ringnalda »

Went to National Trail track tonight, just to make sure the fuel problem is a thing of the past...

12.7 second quarter mile. First time out. Not the fastest, but it sure was fun!
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Tue May 18, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Get Pee Wee Gleason out of retirement & we have a winner.... 8)
ICOA # 656

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

128 lbs rider?

Post by Ringnalda »

I think Sweepings needs a 200lbs rider to keep the front end down. Although it was skipping a little yesterday. I had a smoked visor which made it look like riding into the black Abyss at the end of the lights; and was using the clutch for shifts, and shifted waaay tooooo eeaarrly. So thinking I can get the times into the 10's with a few more practices; as this was the first time for the bike on the dragstrip, and also the first time for the rider. Fortunately for me I can go any Friday night and play here at National Trails raceway, which is only 20 minutes from my house. Anybody else want to come and play? Beats the hell out of Dyno runs...! Perhaps a short weekend rally?

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: 128 lbs rider?

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Ringnalda wrote:I think Sweepings needs a 200lbs rider to keep the front end down. Although it was skipping a little yesterday. I had a smoked visor which made it look like riding into the black Abyss at the end of the lights; and was using the clutch for shifts, and shifted waaay tooooo eeaarrly. So thinking I can get the times into the 10's with a few more practices; as this was the first time for the bike on the dragstrip, and also the first time for the rider. Fortunately for me I can go any Friday night and play here at National Trails raceway, which is only 20 minutes from my house. Anybody else want to come and play? Beats the hell out of Dyno runs...! Perhaps a short weekend rally?

Hummmmmmmmmm....you need a heavier rider. I know this guy that is realllllllllly fat and might do it butttttt he as never won a CBX vs CBX rollon and doesnt have a clue on how to get off the mark fast....but is known to try anything.

I think the bike might be over geared for 1/4.......guess here on my part but I think you might be wanting to hit the red line in 5th when just before or when you cross the timing lights....but again just a guess.

Shifting too early........Buy those protectors used by football players........bite down hard......pin it to red line and repeat this all the way down........this way you wont be breaking any teeth :lol: :lol:

Roger Steiner used to and maybe still drag race his late model and might be of help on the gearing if indeed this needs adjustment (PM him) and you might search all of his posts since I think he did a post on drag race gearing .....but the track where he races might be 1/8 mile

I do want to say keep giving it a go.....for us all....and keep the updates and videos coming..........
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Jan:
I did a bit of drag racing back in the day. My best run with the red '79 was 11.53 @118. I did a whole string of 11.50s that particular night. The clutch won't stand up to much drag racing. Be prepared to work on that. On the video it sounds like you are short-shifting it. Certainly run every gear to redline or a bit past. Stock gearing had the bike just hitting redline in 4th gear at the traps. You will certainly have to shift into 5th with the short gearing you have. That bike should run 11.50s easily. And you do need as light a rider as you can find. Wish I was there - I'd give it a go!

Dave

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Wish you were here...

Post by Ringnalda »

Dave,

It's only a two hour drive... or so.

You need ANOTHER reason to go to Iron Pony?

Just think... Friday... ANY Friday...

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Wet dragstrips...

Post by Ringnalda »

The dragstrip was wet last night. Wouldn't find me on there with a CBX...! Oh well will have to wait another week.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Another dry Friday night in Ohio... At LAST.

Post by Ringnalda »

Well we went to the strip (drag strip that is) again tonight.

Sweeping's was in fine shape, ran a 11.96 with still plenty of improvement possible from the rider. I feel like such a newbie out there but at least the times are coming down!

Looks like my dry Friday nights are all spoken for... For a while anyway. I have a feeling to drop another full second off this time may need some serious work as well as a lot more practice!
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Mon May 17, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Another dry Friday night in Ohio... At LAST.

Post by EMS »

Ringnalda wrote: I have a feeling to drop another full second off this time may need some serious work as well as a lot more practice!
Getting into the 10s with a stock CBX will be a tall order...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

re-gear, less weight, and a launch that's HARD on the drive train.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

"Sounds" like a lower gearing is needed to get out the hole but I'm no expert...
ICOA # 656

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”