Naked Comstars

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Sanfran
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Naked Comstars

Post by Sanfran »

Strange things pop up at two in the morning.Has anybody stripped the paint off the comstar wheels and polished them? Just wondering how they would look?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The ones on my early model aren't painted and they shine up pretty well. Would love to remove them and the tires and (really) shine em up though. I prefer them to the late model wheels. Seems to be easier to keep them clean.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Dennis Sherry (dsz1) has a late model (Prolink) rear wheel on his 79, that he had powdercoated silver to match the front. Looks pretty cool. Maybe he can post a pic :?:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Naked Comstars

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sanfran wrote:Strange things pop up at two in the morning.Has anybody stripped the paint off the comstar wheels and polished them? Just wondering how they would look?
Dennis (DB_43725) Has done this with a polishing kit he bought off E-Bay. LOTS of elbow grease but the effect of naked polished alloy was excellent...
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:
Dennis (DB_43725) Has done this with a polishing kit he bought off E-Bay. LOTS of elbow grease but the effect of naked polished alloy was excellent...
I thought this was a chrome-effect surface treatment :? :?
I know he had to strip the wheels, but then, I thought, he brushed something on :? :?: :?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:
alimey4u2 wrote:
I thought this was a chrome-effect surface treatment :? :?
I know he had to strip the wheels, but then, I thought, he brushed something on :? :?: :?
Lemme have a chat with him to see what he did Mike....
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Here is Dennis's answer to the question....
First off larry ya got to sand them really good with 360 grit sand paper till their smooth
Then wet sand with 400,,, then wet sand with 600,,, then wet sand with 800 or 9 hundred till their really smooth,, Now your are ready to start buffing with a good polishing compound,, I will search for the web site that sells the really good stuff,,,anyway its a lot of work and very time consuming,,but well worth the finished product.
Hope this helps,,,Dennis

The spokes in the wheels I skipped all sanding but the 900 wet sand then buffed them with polishing compound.
ICOA # 656

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

You can continue the wetsanding process with 1500 grit and then 2000 grit and then 'polishing' with rouge and a cloth wheel probably won't be necessary - Just a good hand polishing with Mothers Mag Wheel Polish will have your aluminum looking like chrome

I did a set of BBS alloys for my car that way, using 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000 wet or dry paper and then a quick hand polish. The 'key' is to use plenty of water and to stay with each grade of paper long enough to remove all of the swirls left by the previous, coarser grades of paper

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

alimey4u2 wrote:Here is Dennis's answer to the question....
I must think of something else, then. I remember there was a product out and somebody talked about it. DB volunteered to do the job and report about it if somebody would buy the stuff. It wasn't just polishing. It involved some kind of surface treatment that was applied with a brush, I believe.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:
I must think of something else, then. I remember there was a product out and somebody talked about it. DB volunteered to do the job and report about it if somebody would buy the stuff. It wasn't just polishing. It involved some kind of surface treatment that was applied with a brush, I believe.
I too remember that Mike but not sure if penned by Dennis...
ICOA # 656

dsz1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by dsz1 »

Sorry guys,

I have been on Emergency Leave, as my Mom was reshed to the hospital (9/9/2008) where thing were not looking good at the time. But we are bringing her home today!!!!!!!

Now back to the question about my rear wheel, Yes it was a new 82 wheel that was black and silver. My power coater guy used a stripping agent that did not hurt the brushed finish silver along the beed of the wheel. The wheel was not polished, just had the black removed. Then he clear powered coated the wheel, this makes it real easy to clean and no brake dust can get into the tight places.

Here is a good close up shot of the wheel.

:cheers:
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, beer in the other, body used up, totally worn-out and screaming, "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks Dennis, Great news on your Mom.... 8)
ICOA # 656

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Sanfran wrote:Strange things pop up at two in the morning.Has anybody stripped the paint off the comstar wheels and polished them? Just wondering how they would look?
I polished the rims on my X they came out very nice. Here is a pic, sorry do not have a close up, will try to get one this weekend. I only polished the rim portion. I started with 280 wet & dry sand paper then 320, 400 and 600 grit, followed by a polish with Mothers mag polish. By the time I finished my finger tip were bleeding and sore.

JT
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

By the time I finished my finger tip were bleeding and sore.
But it looks like it was worth it!

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

SteveG wrote:
By the time I finished my finger tip were bleeding and sore.
But it looks like it was worth it!

Thanks
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”