Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Total Number of CBXes Made

Post by rippper43 »

My 82 Says made in Japan 7/81
Frame #
SC0602CC400885
Motor #
SC03E-2400871
I take it this bike was manufactured and built in Japan ?
White is right...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Yes, all '82 were. So were basically all other CBXes, except for the - now it looks like some ~3,300 1980 models that were made in Marysville.

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

EMS wrote:Yes, all '82 were. So were basically all other CBXes, except for the - now it looks like some ~3,300 1980 models that were made in Marysville.

So only the 80's were made in Marysville ? I seem to remember some of the leftover 82's that were sold for NOS in 1985 were shipped from Marysville Ohio. I understand that they could have just been stored there for the 3 years because if I remember right some of the 82's came From Gardena Ca also. But it has been a long time and my memory is not what is used to be. I damn sure did not think that I would need that info 30 years down the road.
I find this very interesting keep up the good work.
White is right...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you look closely at the VIN-No of your '82, you will see it actually starts with JH2...
That means the bike was made in Japan.

When Honda started the Marysville plant, they began with two motorcycles, the 1980 CR250 Elsinore and the 1980 CBX.
The Elsinore changed from a CR250R... VIN to a ME03...VIN number, and the CBX from CB1.. to SC03...
Only for that one year. 1981 model production was transferred back to Japan with JH2ME03.. for the CR250 and JH2SC06 for the CBX. Many other motorcycle models were later produced in Ohio, like the Magna, Sabre and the Shadow, for example. Most known of course, the Goldwing, which took over from CR250 and CBX for the 1981 model year. VIN-Numbers of all these bikes started with 1HF..., identifying the U.S. origin.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

rippper43 wrote:
EMS wrote:Yes, all '82 were. So were basically all other CBXes, except for the - now it looks like some ~3,300 1980 models that were made in Marysville.

So only the 80's were made in Marysville ? I seem to remember some of the leftover 82's that were sold for NOS in 1985 were shipped from Marysville Ohio. I understand that they could have just been stored there for the 3 years because if I remember right some of the 82's came From Gardena Ca also. But it has been a long time and my memory is not what is used to be. I damn sure did not think that I would need that info 30 years down the road.
I find this very interesting keep up the good work.

My '82 was a left over in '85. It came out of a warehouse in New Jersey.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Our former very small local dealer had a couple of heldover black 80s on the floor for a year or so; he had them tagged at either $1,800 or $2,200 each. I know they weren't any higher than $2,200 (the $1,800 might been what he had the 750 or 900Fs tagged at; it's been too long).

Cammer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cammer »

If my memory serves me correctly, I think James Elliot had a pre -production sand cast supposedly. Brain housing gets fuzzy with age. I think I had an early one with the engine number of 76-78 or somewhere there abouts. I also know I had an early 79 engine in a 81 frame that dyno'd out at 87 rear wheel horsepower and 68 foot pounds of torque box stock. Bought the engine from Steve Pollard who said all he'd done was blueprint the thing and put about 3000 strip runs on it! He was a CBX speed freak in Orlando before he got into BMWs.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Somewhere else here the earliest known 79 in the U.S. is mentioned as being CB1-20 00045 with engine number CB1E 20 00064. It was offered for sale by a dealer in Northwest Ohio.
A CBX enthusiast and collector in Norway owns CB1-20 00062 and the last record of CB1-20 00094 was that it was owned by someone in Washigton state.

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Hi guys,
I think I posted some of this information on here a year or two ago so apologies if you have seen before.
I have a letter dated 23rd March 2001 from Honda Collection Hall signed by the then manager Kunio Sakuraya stating that
3150 1980 models were built in the Ohio factory. He does not quote any frame or engine numbers and states total cbx production inclusive of the above machines was 41229 and does not give a breakdown of each model which he says Honda did not have at that time! Referring to early 77/78/79 models I have the head,cams,oil filler cover and oil pump from sandcast pre production 1000Z built in late 1977 CB1E-2000028 which was used as one of the Uk press bikes and subsequently wrecked by a Japanese journalist at the European launch at the Vallelunga racing circuit north of Rome. It was brought back to the Uk and was for a time stored at Honda's UK headquarters and then Honda decreed it should be crushed and put in a skip. However, one of the Honda UK employees could not bring himself to do this and managed to spirit away the parts I now have in the trunk of his car. They lay in the loft of his house for over twentyfive years until offered to me to save for posterity. As many of you know of those early sandcast bikes less than fifty did not have the 8mm chrome bolt either side of the cylinder head which was added to the production bikes. The cams also have a much larger hole through the centre and appear to be higher lift. I have been tempted to fit to one of my 79's and see what would happen to the performance! James Elliott does indeed own Sandcast bike frame CB1-2000032 engine CB1E-2000037. The earliest surviving standard production bike is #43 with motor#62 and is owned by a Mr J March in Vancouver,Canada. ICOA and UK cbx club member Ed Willett from Scotland has done much research on locating early pre-production 1000Z's so far he has located vin number CB1-200007 in the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin,Alberta,Canada and bike frame CB1-200022 engine CB1E2000011 built in 1977 is in storage at the Museum of Victoria,Melbourne,Australia. My son Andrew has been promised he can take pictures of the machine when it comes out of storage as he lives only a few miles from the museum. Sandcast Bike CB1E-2000014 is as said previously in Norway although the barrels and head have been changed due to being wrecked in a production racing accident. We have learned the cam lobe profiles were changed several times by Honda on the pre production bikes and the ones on 14 are a flatter profile than those on my number 28. Number cb1-2000013 is also in private ownership in Norway. Well,I hope I have not bored you to tears and you find the above of some interest? Mel ICOA1876
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxmel wrote:Hi guys,
I think I posted some of this information on here a year or two ago so apologies if you have seen before.
I have a letter dated 23rd March 2001 from Honda Collection Hall signed by the then manager Kunio Sakuraya stating that
3150 1980 models were built in the Ohio factory.

Not that I want to argue with Honda and the authorities there, but we know the person who owns chassis-no 15 built in Ohio and the perosn who owns chassis no 3286.
That alone would make 3271 bikes built in Marysville. Knowing how detail oriented Honda was back then (and probably still is), I doubt they left any numbers out while assigning them to frames.
My feeling is, that the 3150 number quoted is an "approximate". Assuming Honda started in Marysville with SC03- 20 10001, I think it is safe to asume, that the total number of bikes built in Ohio was closer to 3,300.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

EMS wrote:Here is an update to that perennial subject!
I had enlisted the help of a couple of friends to do some research as an input for our CBX data posters for VMD Mid-Ohio. I asked for the highest frame and engine numbers recorded anywhere. The results were:

1979 Frame CB1- 20 24095, Germany

I followed up on this when I was in Germany last week. I was able to see this bike. It is one of the "black" 1979s and shows a first registration date in the title of April 3, 1980. This is one of the late CB1s that were sold in Germany as 1980 models as SC03s were not officially imported. The current owner has it since 1988 and is the third owner.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

EMS wrote:If you look closely at the VIN-No of your '82, you will see it actually starts with JH2...
That means the bike was made in Japan.

When Honda started the Marysville plant, they began with two motorcycles, the 1980 CR250 Elsinore and the 1980 CBX.
The Elsinore changed from a CR250R... VIN to a ME03...VIN number, and the CBX from CB1.. to SC03...
Only for that one year. 1981 model production was transferred back to Japan with JH2ME03.. for the CR250 and JH2SC06 for the CBX. Many other motorcycle models were later produced in Ohio, like the Magna, Sabre and the Shadow, for example. Most known of course, the Goldwing, which took over from CR250 and CBX for the 1981 model year. VIN-Numbers of all these bikes started with 1HF..., identifying the U.S. origin.
My bike is evidently a bit rare then - it is a Japan-built '80. It had the extra-special faulty 469 advancer, which Louis was actually eager to get his hands on in trade.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote: My bike is evidently a bit rare then - it is a Japan-built '80. N.
Indeed it should be. Japan-built 80s should be the lowest quantity of all CBX varieties. If the CBX becomes a collectors' item down the road, they may become the one with the highest value.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:
NilsMenten wrote: My bike is evidently a bit rare then - it is a Japan-built '80. N.
Indeed it should be. Japan-built 80s should be the lowest quantity of all CBX varieties. If the CBX becomes a collectors' item down the road, they may become the one with the highest value.
. . . . and worth even more, no doubt, if they still have the extra rare, 'faulty' 469 advancer . . . .

Don

CBX1979
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by CBX1979 »

Hi! I agree that in the future CBX'80 built in Japan will be the ones most valuable. Unfortunately, I do not have any SC03 built in Japan.. :cry:

All my CBXes are/will be restored to perfection:

I have CBX'79 VIN #75 (engine 185).

I also have CBX'80 VIN 10251 (Marysville). Engine is 1866 (EMS: is this engine likely to be original for this VIN #?). It indicates that some 1,600 CBX'80 were built in Japan...?

I also have CBX'79 VIN #14598 with engine 14717. It has only 900 miles from new.

I also have CBX'79 VIN #1994 with engine 366. This is not likely to be the original engine as it was a 'TIMS Special' when I bought it.

I also have CBX'80 VIN #11814 (Marysville) with a CBX'79 engine 1784 (unfortunately). I would have preferred this to be an SC03 engine.

I also have three V65 Sabres under restoration. I believe this will be a future collector's item. The Sabre could have been built in 2010!

I have some real nice photos of my bikes but do not know how to scale and post. Can I email to anyone that can assist?

Thank you! Steinar (CBX1979) Norway

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”