Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Greg:
Your's follows the pattern that Mike was referring to. The Marysville bikes' frame and engine numbers are generally about 2000 apart. However, some probably don't follow that, as Mike found out. Anyway, yours is one of the later '80s.

Dave

GregW
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by GregW »

According to my frame plate, my '80 was manufactured in May, 1980.
I was glancing through my CBX Gold Portfolio & it had an article by Cycle magazine about the 469 advancers ya'll have been talking about. The retrofit was a warranty procedure that came out in a service bulletin in December, 1979. It affected engine #s SC03E-2000001-2001773. Frame #s fall in the SC0E-200000-2001785.
The standard 469 advancer was a single stage unit & the 469A was a dual stage. What I found interesting was that the bikes with the 469 std. made on the dyno 71hp & 47 lbs/ft, while the 469A increased that figure to 82hp & 51lbs/ft. In comparison, the '79s with the 422 advancer (also a dual stage) run 85hp & 52 lbs/ft.
Simply amazing what a simple little thing like spark advance can do for perfomance. :eek:

Greg
Last edited by GregW on Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can never have too many motorcycles.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

My 80's serial was 2001348

My 81's serial ended in 2468
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

cbxmel

How many cbxs built?? read this!!

Post by cbxmel »

Hi everyone,Just got around to reading the posts on this subject.I am trying to put together the definitive book on the cbx and wrote to Kunio Sakuraya Manager of the Honda Collection Hall at Motegi in March 2001 to try and find out how many cbx's built.He came back with the following figures which make food for thought.He says 38,079
units of all models built in Japan plus 3150 1980 models built in the USA.He could not break the numbers down into 79,80,81 or 82 models as records have been destroyed! Pity. The figures in my forward to the cbx Gold Portfolio are incorrect as the publishers got them wrong when sending to the printers. Hope this helps.All the best Mel
ICOA 1876.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Good luck with the book Mel, put me down for a copy..... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Hmmm, "He says 38,079 units of all models built in Japan"

That means that 33,000 were made (after) mine. :D
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxmel

Total number cbx's built

Post by cbxmel »

Hi again,Any advances on Terry's figure?Who has the earliest 79 in the ICOA?????Any early sandcast?I have the cyclinder head and a few other bits from number 28 which is sandcast and has no chrome bolts either side of the head. Would be great to know with engine and frame numbers.Could then include in my book.All the best cbxmel ICOA 1876

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mel, the "oldest" CBX in the U.S. I have records for is a 1979 that was offered for sale by Ric Seel in Grand Rapids, Ohio (near Toledo) earlier this year. It had VIN CB1-20 00045 and engine-no CB1E-20 00064.
We talked about this bike here on the site when it was on ebay. I will try to find the thread. I don't think it sold in the auction, so I have no idea where it currently is.

Here is the link to the thread. As of today (11-22) you can still call up the ebay auction.
viewtopic.php?t=3048&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

cbxmel

How many cbxs built

Post by cbxmel »

Many thanks very interesting.Wonder what it went for as I see highest bid was $7500. All the best. cbxmel ICOA 1876

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

This is a very strange transaction, if it ever was one at all. The seller rejected offers of up to $8,000.- and in the end lowered his buy-it-now to $6,000.- :? :? Makes no sense, really.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

So! Here is finally someone who knows exactly how many 1980 CBXes were build :shock: :shock: There is a wealth of knowledge out there. Mainly on ebay. We just need to look for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... enameZWDVW

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I still think that I was right. Remember when Columbus was ridiculed for thinking the earth was round?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxmel

How many cbx built

Post by cbxmel »

Hi EMS,So this guy reckons he knows more than Honda.Unless he is of course including the ones built in Japan.Honda stand by the figure I mentioned previously for Marysville.Perhaps the world is flat!!! all the best cbxmel ICOA 1876

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mel, I think he says total 1980 bikes built. But still. Where does the number come from? :roll:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

It is amazing what you can learn from eBay! Seriously, if this guy has true inside info on the subject, we'd like to hear more. Maybe someone should ask him this question while the listing is active.

Dave

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”