Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Total Number of CBXes Made

Post by EMS »

CBX1979 wrote:

I also have CBX'80 VIN 10251 (Marysville). Engine is 1866 (EMS: is this engine likely to be original for this VIN #?). It indicates that some 1,600 CBX'80 were built in Japan...?

Thank you! Steinar (CBX1979) Norway

Steinar: I think we can safely say that this is the original combination. The highest VIN-number of a Japanes built 1980 CBX that I personally know of is SC03-20 01694. This was a frame only from a parted out bike.
The lowest Marysville-built 1980 CBX that we know of is John Davis' bike with VIN SC03-20 010015 which has engine number SC03E-20 01826.

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

Is there any rhyme or reason to the numbers between frame #'s and engine #'s on the 80 CBX"s. Mine are frame SC03E-2010398 and SC03e-2001976 engine. Are these typical ?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you search around, you will find a complete explanation of the '80 engine and frame numbers. Yes, there is a reason they seem odd. Frame #s started over in Marysville and engines #s did not, with about 1800 being made in Japan - that's the short answer.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Engine and frame numbers on any of the CBXes never match. If they are close, you are lucky, if they do match, you have a rare collector's item. Most likely all engines were produced in sequence and numbered. So were the bikes. But the engines did not get to the assembly line in order and there were complete engines taken for replacement sales and engines being held for quality reasons after the test run.
For 1979s the engine number is higher than the VIN number by anywhere between 100 and 200. I have not seen an original 79 engine in a frame with a number more than 200 higher than the VIN-number. For lower VIN-number bikes = early production, the numbers are closer together.
As Dave explained, the 1980 models had the engines numbered continuously throughout production. Beginning in Japan and ending in the USA. The VIN-numbers for U.S.-made bikes, however, were changed and the fifth didgit from the end was a "1", meaning the frames would have started with SC03-20 10 000 or SC03-20 10 001, while the first engine used in Marysville was most likely a number higher than SC03E-20 01700, which means any U.S.-built 1980 CBX has an engine serial number with the last four digits about 1,600 to 1,700 higher than the VIN-number.
1981 CBXes have a VIN number that ends with a "BC" just before the six digit "serial number" that begins with a 30. Again, engine numbers (which start with SC03E-23..) are higher, difference is typically typically less than 100 for lower VIN-numbers and slightly higher for later models.
1982 CBXes have a VIN-number ending in CC 40xxxx. Engine numbers are SC03E-24 xxxx and the numbers are usually the closest of all models. I have seen several 82s with VIN and engine number difference in the single digits.

Another long post of useless kowledge :D :D :wink:
Last edited by EMS on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

EMS wrote:Another long post of useless kowledge
"Umm,....I'll take CBX Facts and Figures for a thousand, please, Alex."

EMS, your posts of such details are helpful to a lot of us. Your's too, Dave. Thanks.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike:
You may recall that the '82 I sold a couple of years ago had matching frame and engine numbers - 264, I think. That was part of the reason I asked a premimun for that bike.

Dave

texas-ss-tornado

Post by texas-ss-tornado »

SO, I just picked up another nice 80 CBX, but the VIN confuses me. Where was this one built, and is it of any significance? My 79 is still on the bike lift waiting for the carbs to get back from the rebuilder, and this one is actually in better shape, 38K miles, been of the road a couple years, brakes not locked, got it run for a few seconds with a new battery and a shot carb cleaner into the air filter. This one literally fell into my lap. No dents in the tank, just some fading, relative good Metezellers, threw in a box of parts too, engine gaurds, carb sink tool, new clutch plates, valve shim tool, all kinds of HONDA goodies in packages. Let me know what you think. Please don't ask me what I paid for it, I feel like such a heel........ :P

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236 ... =slideshow

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

So if you give us the frame and engine numbers, we can tell you about it. Nice score! They are still out there.

Dave

texas-ss-tornado

Somebody said the FC VIN means it came from Japan? Is this the case? I will get the other numbers off tonight. Somebody else asked me if there was a sticker on top the oil cooler, and there is, says "Nippondenso" or something close to that.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The frame and engine numbers will tell all. And yes, there are many detail differences between Japan and US '80s.

Dave

texas-ss-tornado

Well, here are the engine and VIN #'s..............engine # is SC003E-2000330

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You have a genuine Made in Japan '80. The frame tag also says that. Marysville frame numbers are SCO3-201xxxx. Marysville engine numbers continued straight through, hence the approximate 1800 number difference between Marysville frames and engines. All this info and more has been written about here many times. Again, nice find.

Dave

markdam
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by markdam »

I have CB1 2000233 but always thought the first 130 numbers were "scratched" thus making mine #233-130=103rd cbx ever??????? help???????

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Don't know where that came from, but the real story is that the first 42 or so frame numbers were pre-production prototypes, but still had the first 42 frame numbers. Actual ones you could buy started in the fourties. But you still have a low number that is to be coveted.

Dave

markdam

Post by markdam »

daves79x wrote:Don't know where that came from, but the real story is that the first 42 or so frame numbers were pre-production prototypes, but still had the first 42 frame numbers. Actual ones you could buy started in the fourties. But you still have a low number that is to be coveted.

Dave
so mine is like the 190th?

oh its got 4k orig miles had orig tires and still has the yellow dot of paint on the factory chain

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”