Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

daves79x wrote:It is amazing what you can learn from eBay! Seriously, if this guy has true inside info on the subject, we'd like to hear more. Maybe someone should ask him this question while the listing is active.

Dave
You're elected... :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxmel

How many cbx's built

Post by cbxmel »

Hi Guys,I have asked him in view of the figure Honda gave me in their letter 2001.I await his reply with interest.Does nobody know anyone who worked or is working at Marysville who could supply any information??!!
The earth is flat!!! Best. cbxmel ICOA 1876

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How many cbx's built

Post by EMS »

cbxmel wrote:.Does nobody know anyone who worked or is working at Marysville who could supply any information??!!
The earth is flat!!! Best. cbxmel ICOA 1876
Yes, Mel, I do! The guy's name is Frank Coe and he used to come here now and again. He lives in Shaker Heights. He worked in the plant as a QA engineer during the start of the motorcycle assembly in 1979/80. He told me once that he had records of about 14 months of bike VIN numbers that left the line. All Elsinores and CBXes. He never got around to dig it up, though. He is somewhat elusive, because he is traveling quite a bit while having fun and buying and selling motorcycles. He was working with three businessmen from NE Ohio to put a motorcycle museum together. Among some other nice pieces, they have 5 CBXes, including a 1980 still in the crate. And a NR750 :!: He himself also owns a CB1100R. I think between him, Jan Ringnalda and myself, we own all the CB1100Rs in Ohio :wink:

cbxmel

Total CBX'S MADE

Post by cbxmel »

Thanks for the info.I have had a reply and he says he obtained the figure for total 1980's built from the ICOA survey in 1994 done by Pete Ruff
and published in the cbxpress vol 13 number 3-4 Jul-Dec 94 when Pete showed that 80 engine numbers went upto SCO3E 2004459 and Pete reckons 4434 were built in total Japan and USA combined. One day we will know the truth!! cbxmel ICOA 1876

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Your numbers are correct for 1979 CBXes CB1-20 xxxxx frame (VIN) numbers and CB1E-20 xxxxx engine serial numbers.
The numbers in the previous posts refer to the 1980 model. The 1979 was the CB-1, 1980 was SC03 and 1981/82 was SC06. It is a Honda vehicle description code.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

79s here (N America) were 78s overseas but the bottom line is that they had only four years of production and sales, 79-82. Some 79s were manufactured in 78 and sold here as 79s and overseas as 78s and 79s. Mostly overseas, their designations are,

Z model=1979
A model=1980
B model=1981
C model=1982

Again, some Z models can also be referred to as 78s but not in N America.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Terry is absolutely correct. The first CBXes were built, I believe, in April of 1978, however, they were always designated 1979 models. Although many car and motorcycle manufacturers begin a "model" year sometime in August or September of the previous calendar year, the official model designation is that of the "model year". In some European countries, the date of the first registration/title issue is noted in the title and becomes the designated year of the vehicle. Consequently, you will have a "1978" CBX, although according to Honda, there never was such a thing. I bought and registered my CBX in Germany in November of 1978 and it was a "1978" as stated in the German title. Accordingly, I have seen "1985" CBXes (1982 models).
Last edited by EMS on Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbxmel

How many cbx's built

Post by cbxmel »

Hi again.Just to add some more info.My 1000z was built Sept 78 and because the Z sold very slowly in the UK due to it being £1000($2000)
more than any other motorcycle and expensive to insure they hung around in dealers showrooms. Mine was not registered(given its title) until November 1981 and the licensing authorities over here class it as a 1981 model!!! It is cheaper to insure a cbx in the Uk now than back then,around £100($200) now against £400($800) then..We even have B&C models registered as late as 1984 so they are classed as 84 models!!. By the way only 289 B&C models in total came to the UK and 2500 Z's.Only one A(80) model officially imported into UK as Honda Uk wanted to see if worth bringing it in.As 78/79 sold so slowly they decided to go straight to the 81 model.The sole 80(A) was subsequently bought by a Honda employee by the name of Ken Gillette which he promptly crashed when he hit an aircraft parked at an airfield!!! Don't ask why or how!!! Didn't do the aircraft much good either!!As you would expect the cbx was written off but he built a special out of the remains which was featured in a UK magazine in the early 80's. Hope of interest and if anybody knows the total figures of each model of cbx imported into North America would be interested to hear the figures. all the best cbxmel ICOA 1876

GregW
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by GregW »

Is that the same Ken Gillette that did an article for Motorcycle Mechanics on a CBX engine tear down, circa June 1979???

Greg
You can never have too many motorcycles.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxmel wrote: Only one A(80) model officially imported into UK as Honda Uk wanted to see if worth bringing it in.As 78/79 sold so slowly they decided to go straight to the 81 model.
Officially there were no 1980 (SC03) models sold in Germany either. But they offered CB-1s in 1980 in black. That's why you ever so often see a black "1979".

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Mike, I have a black 79.

cbxmel

How many cbx's built

Post by cbxmel »

Hi guys,It's me again.From my researches with Honda and other overseas clubs I have found any black 79 is usually either a repainted silver or red one or 1980 model bodywork has replaced the original. We have several over here in the UK and I have ascertained they have all been repainted black and were not supplied by Honda in black.
Honda also say as well as black they never sold silver 1980 models although I have a Japanese book showing one in silver! I know when the factory ran out of 78/79 bodywork for sale as replacement parts they did supply some 1980 bodywork in Silver.A Uk member who lives down the street from me has a silver 1980. So you takes your pick!!!! There was even one 79 over here which was supplied new by Honda UK in blue but that is another story!!! Ride safe cbxmel ICOA1876

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

o
Last edited by wyly on Mon May 07, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”