Total Number of CBXes Made

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Total Number of CBXes Made

Post by EMS »

Indianacbx wrote: My Japan made 1980 is frame # SC03-2000146 and engine number is close SC03E2000171

And the bike that was produced right after yours, Larry, serial number...147 was sold by its owner in Georgia in October of 2009 for $4,995.- It was red, with a 6-1 and an '81 motor. frame painted red. Don't know where it ended up, though.

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Hello Mike,

The process for registering imported bikes has been tightened up recently here in the UK. One major change is the requirement to supply our Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) with a letter from the manufacturer confirming the Model, Frame Number, Engine Number, Year of Manufacturer and Factory wher made. Honda call this document YOM short for Year Of Manufacture. Long story short I contacted Honda UK, requested the letter and paid the £30 admin fee, to my surprise they have supplied a YOM letter showing "Factory: USA". I have been told that only A's were produced in the US. I contacted Honda UK who have stated that they request the details directly from Japan and there is no mistake? My bike is a Z which they have also confirmed "Model: Honda CBX1000Z".

Wondered if you have heard of this before?

Regards

Goss
Onboard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWSsdKtd64
Bike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofjFhEd3

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

My guess is that Honda Japan doesn't give a rip what they put on the YOM. I'm sure they view that process as a real PITA. I wouldn't infer anything else from that.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have not heard this before. And I do agree with Dave, that Honda, like many other manufacturers, probably doesn't give a hoot about private import/exports and considers it a nuisance to provide documents supporting this. There is also the possibility that someone at Honda didn't know better or just made a simple mistake.
Unfortunately, Honda has changed in recent years and keeping motorcycle history is not one of their strong points. Also, with the "older" generation fading away, the people there right now, have no real connection to what happened. I can personally attest to that based on my own efforts to find and talk to people who where "there" in Marysville, Ohio, when the production of motorcycles started in 1979.
Others before us went through this and their frustration went so far, that they have a constant "axe to grind" with Honda now. That is true not only for the CBX, but for other models also.

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I found the same true of Kawasaki. I spent some time trying to find out which models were made in Lincoln and when. The people I spoke with at Kawasaki in Nebraska claim not to know, and they act as if they really don't care. It seems strange to me that companies that can build these highly advanced motorcycles can not keep simple records.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The real sad thing is, that all that further muddles the whole issue. Years from now, when Goss, who knows what happened to his bike and where it came from, is no longer here, someone will have the bike and he will insist that it was made in the U.S.. After all, he has proof of it in form of a written document provided by Honda.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

...here is another example of these "urban myths" that are popping up about the CBX. This guy here has two 1980 :roll: school bike motors. One in the bike and an extra one to go with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... 4f&vxp=mtr

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes - zero mile '81 school bike engine with a set of CRs on it. Can't imagine what he thinks that all is worth.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:Yes - zero mile '81 school bike engine with a set of CRs on it. Can't imagine what he thinks that all is worth.

Dave
He changed the description. When I posted it, they were 1980 school bike motors. In any case, they are silver. The Tailpiece also changed from a 1981 to a 1980 part.
And as far as the VIN-Number is concerned, it is stamped into the neck and any powdercoater worth his salt will cover the number to keep it legible unless someone has a good reason to remove the number.

The BIN was $19,000. It dropped to 16.5

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

EMS wrote:The real sad thing is, that all that further muddles the whole issue. Years from now, when Goss, who knows what happened to his bike and where it came from, is no longer here, someone will have the bike and he will insist that it was made in the U.S.. After all, he has proof of it in form of a written document provided by Honda.
Mike, once my bike has been registered I plan on making a note on the Honda letter making it clear that this was a mistake by Honda. I personally think that as long as the CBX clubs and websites are still around the confusion is less likely. Wonder what production line records were produced and kept by Honda.

Jaguar cars have a heritage department where they provide "heritage certificates" confirming the serial numbers, dealer, colour, trim colour, and exact specification and order details together with dates. Shame Honda can't provide at least some of this info.

Regards

Goss

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Goss:

I talked about your issue with a contact I have at Honda in Marysville, who used to work in the (now defunct) Motorcycle operation.
He confirmed that it is unlikely that official Honda locations anywhere have documents about older motorcycles that will provide info about manufacturing locations for specific models and tie them to VIN-numbers that do not include the plant codes (for the CBX, that started in 1981). In your specific case, he theorizes that, because of the bike was imported from the U.S., that this was used as the "country of origin" by Honda on the document.
Another - less likely - possibility is, that, as CBXes were produced in the U.S. from September 1979 on, someone made an honest mistake and thought your 1979 was part of this.
In any case, it is really a shame that official manufacturers documents and statements can't be more correct.
But I am sure, you will enjoy your CBX-Z to the fullest anyway :D :D

Goss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Goss »

Thanks for the update Mike drawn the same conclusion; a genuine mistake. Makes no difference to me where it was made I plan on riding this bike so it will never be a museum piece. :-)

Regards

Goss

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I almost missed this. Was sold on ebay June 13 in Riverside, CA. This would be the highest Japanese built 1980 I have on record, with serial number 2101, putting the number of Japanese-made 1980s over 2000
If anybody of you guys in CA knows about the bike, I would really like to know what the build date is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-cbx-1000- ... 7675.l2557

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I saw that one, but didn't really note the advertised serial number. It might be wishful thinking, but in the first photo, if you enlarge the footpeg area, under the footpeg, it really looks like the bottom engine through-bolt has a head on it, instead of a nut. If it has a head on that bolt, then it's a Marysville bike and the serial number is really 12101. That's my bet.

Dave

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Well, I was going to ask later on this, but since the topic is up, will ask here. Each year, they reset the last numbers. A 0#### bike is japan made, and the last 4 numbers are production order? My 82 is a 01839, how does that fit into the listings? I bought the bike from somebody who was an association member, I need to register myself still.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”