crank case smoke

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
cbx56
New Member & Happy To Be Here

crank case smoke

Post by cbx56 »

HELP,last week while riding my 79,she started smoking out the crank case breather,a smelly smoke,i was told to change the oil,i did and still smokes and my battery died,did my stater die on me?

Ron :

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

By smoke out of your crankcase I assume you're talking about your crankcase vent? The 1/2" line between the engine and bottom/rear of airbox? First of all, if smoke came out of there, how did you see it with the line on? Its a closed system like a PCV set-up on a car.

Take the line off and check for any blow-by from that vent. Its an indicator of engine compression getting into the crankcase through bad rings.

If the engine is cold and been sitting for awhile, steam is mormal to rise from there as the engine warms up.

Just thought of something else. Your alternater plates. Was the bike squealing from the alternater side and voltage low? Your friction plates may be scored that bad that oil is burning off them. Its the only electrical component per say which has anything to do with oil.

cbx56

Post by cbx56 »

I have k+n filters with open crank case filter,and my alt. was making like a chirping noise before but not no more,but my battery doesn charge now.

Ron

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Pull your alt. and check the plates. As well make sure bearings are fine for the alt. I too had the K&N filters on my CBX with the individual crankcase breather. Only time I would get steam was first start-up if cold and sitting for awhile.

ANY scoring on the plates is BAD, as they are a mated, machined surface.

There should only be 4 grooves on each plates to allow oil out. If the plates are scored, or have signs of "blueing" replace them.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”