$35 paper dust cover

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

$35 paper dust cover

Post by Terry »

Yes, paper! The 'custom fitted to your year CBX dust cover' offered by Tims is made out of a thick paper something like Frog Toggs are made out of only thicker. Never ocurred to me to ask what material it would be made of. Anyone ever heard of a paper m/c cover before? Its blindingly WHITE and is big as a blanket, and has CBX printed on each side down low. Tims told me that they have made for them, a one size fits all cover, saying that the tallish mirrors on the early models make the cover 'size' the same as the shield and fairing on the late models. No need to actually custom fit one for the 79/80s and another for the 81/82s eh? BULL! The cover will likely blow right off the 79 (if) you used it outdoors but I don't think Tims had it in their minds to make an outdoor cover. This one is made for 'in the garage use' only, and will not travel well (its too big).

With my 4" taller windscreen the front of the cover doesn't cover the sides of the motor or the front wheel. The sides don't go down far enough and barely cover the pipes. Its not fitted to the contours of the bike and when installed, the center section over the tank and seat sticks up like alfalfa's hair. Its essentially two large paper blankets sewed together with an elastic stripe along the lower edge. No grommets or ties. If I'd seen this in a store I wouldn't have paid five bucks for it. One might think (I did) that a CBX supplier who offers a 'custom fitted' cover would have at least had one made to actually (fit) each of the whopping (two) models of the CBX. Tims didn't.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Carl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Carl »

Too bad. Sorry to hear that you got ripped off. I picked up a nice heavy duty cover (with carrying case) for under $50.00 on Ebay from a seller called "cycleacc".
Say It Loud.....I Own a CBX and I'm Proud!!

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm still looking for a weather resitant cover that fits the 82 (well). What brand, model and size is the one you got? Is it for a late model? I have a Dowco that fits but it also fits a Goldwing. I want one that fits tightly, all on its own.

D Raye

Another Option

Post by D Raye »

Hi Terry

Another option to consider might be to buy a Dowco cover you like that fits your X the best possible then have it modified to get the exact fit you want by a someone or a car interior shop that can sew heavy large items like a motorcycle covers.

This way you get exactly what you want and don't spend alot of money.

D Raye

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Terry, sorry to hear your not satisfied with the indoor bike cover. Tim's, the other vendors and myself are running the Morganton Specials to help promote the rally and get some exposure for the vendors.

If one of the Morganton Vendor Specials don't meet your expectations please contact the vendor for a full refund, no questions asked.

The specials are meant to create goodwill not disappoint people, sorry for any misunderstandings.

Jeff Bennetts

BBRINT
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

INDOOR DUST COVER

Post by BBRINT »

AS OWNER OF TIMSCBX I WILL REMIND THE CBX COMMUNITY ONCE AGAIN WE HAVE AN UNCONDITIONAL MONEY BACK GUARANTEE--IF IT DOESNT MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND --NO QUESTIONS ASKED---AS FOR THE GENTLEMAN WHO PURCHASED OUR INDOOR DUST COVER I AM SORRY IT DOESNT MEET YOUR "OUTDOOR" EXPECTATIONS--I DIDNT REALIZE GARAGES IN CALIFORNIA HAD SO MUCH WIND---CBX'ERS PLEASE --I URGE YOU TO CONTACT US IF YOU EVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANY OF OUR PRODUCTS--RATHER THAN GO STRAIGHT TO THE ICOA WEBSITE AND BASH US BEFORE YOU CONTACT US TO TRY AND RESOLVE ANY ISSUES YOU MAY HAVE---WE HAVE MADE A COMMITMENT TO THE ICOA TO PROMOTE EACH OTHER AND APPLY FAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES---THIS TYPE OF APPROACH ONLY DEMISES THE BOND WE ARE WORKING TO ACHIEVE--AS A BUSINESS OWNER I UNDERSTAND YOU CANT PLEASE EVERYONE BUT IF I CANT PLEASE YOU I CERTAINLY WANT YOU TO HAVE THE OPTION OF RETURNING THE PRODUCT AND TAKING YOUR FULL REFUND ELSEWHERE TO MAKE A PURCHASE ---I KNOW OF NO OTHER BUSINESS THAT OFFERS A BETTER COMMITMENT TO THE CUSTOMER--SINCERELY BILL BRINT --OWNER --TIMSCBX --ICOA MEMBER #5284

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

The TONE and CONTENT of your post requires me to set the record a little straighter than you've left it. I don't want (my) reputation tarnished.

"AS FOR THE GENTLEMAN WHO PURCHASED OUR INDOOR DUST COVER"

Nowhere did I read that it was an (indoor) cover, hell, they're (all) dust covers! What I did read was from an ICOA Regional Director's statement that said, "The bike cover has the CBX logo and is custom fitted

to your year CBX" Its not listed in any of the old Tims catalogs and your online catalog is non-existent. I thought, great, a real custom fitted cover for my Prolink. I have no problem finding a cover that fits my 79. So I ordered one, despite my two previous experiences with your company.

Since a regional director of the ICOA made the statement that he did, representing (I assumed) what you told him, I thought I'd give it a shot. I really wanted to find a Prolink cover that fit well. Others have been too small or way too big. You see, I do ride, and whichever bike I'm on frequently sits outside overnight. I have no use for an indoor cover. (That) notation would have scared me right off. Telling me that it was made out of two paper blankets sewed together would have certainly ran me off! I had very recently posted a thread for just this purpose, to find a recommendation for a well fitting Prolink cover. Never dawned on me to ask if it was made out of paper...

After I called and placed my order, I had already hung up when it occured to me that I wasn't even asked the year of my X. Remember, "custom fitted to your year CBX"? So I called back and was told, as I stated in my initial post, that Tims has made for them a 'one size fits all' cover that fits either model accordingly. Not ever having that experience myself, I should have cancelled my order then. But, based on what I'd read, custom fitted etc... I took a chance.

Now, about this statement,

"I URGE YOU TO CONTACT US IF YOU EVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANY OF OUR PRODUCTS--RATHER THAN GO STRAIGHT TO THE ICOA WEBSITE AND BASH US"

I (didn't) go straight to the ICOA. I emailed the director I referred to above along with a copy to the ICOA Director quite a few days before my post, specifically asking if they had any qualms about me mentioning my experience with your company. I received no replies from either.

"IF IT DOESNT MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS SEND IT BACK FOR A FULL REFUND --NO QUESTIONS ASKED"

You know Bill, sometimes, a refund doesn't quite cut it. If I'm dealing with a reputable company and the order is screwed up or misrepresented, I (should) get a full refund. There's nothing extra about it. Counting this last transaction, I have been dissatisfied with the last THREE orders I've placed with your company. The first one came with more parts than I ordered requiring me to send them back. You didn't offer to send me a prepaid mailer or even the shipping costs up front, you just wanted me to repackage the parts, drive to the nearest post office and send them back! (You'd credit my account for the shipping costs I incurred.)

Despite the hassle of doing this, I wasn't about to mess with my karma over seven extra clutch plates in the box so I sent them back. On my next order, despite ordering fork seals for a Prolink, you sent me seals labeled for a CB650 (fit the 79 maybe?) you didn't say. After seeing this I even called Tims and was told they were the right ones. After that (false confirmation) I scheduled the Prolink for some service at a local Honda shop and while it was there I also had them replace the fork seals. Well, guess what, they didn't fit! Now, my bike was taking up rack space at the shop so they had to partially reassemble the front end to get it off the rack while (they) ordered the correct seals. Cost me a bit more money for parts (and) labor.

What was your response? 'Send them back and we'll credit your account.' No, oops, sorry, Tims screwed up another order, no, (very) sorry, Tim's error in sending the wrong parts actually cost you money, send us the bill. Nope, just send them back. Well, I did, and I asked for my FULL REFUND and NOT a silly credit to my account.

My intent in posting this thread was to advise any other CBX rider who might have read what I did (before) they were asked to send it back because it is NOT a CUSTOM FITTED cover. It fits like hell and you should know this more than anyone else. (You're) offering it for sale! All I wrote in my post was my experience with your company. Simply asking for a refund and repackaging it and waiting in line at the post office to send it to you at my expense wouldn't have enabled me to advise all the possibly interested CBXers of what was in store if they ordered one of them. Ever hear of delivering what you promise in a timely manner? Its called good customer service whether I'm in California or Georgia.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Terry, again I'm sorry your dissapointed but in all the releases I say to call the vendor to place your order assuming that the buyer will ask any questions they may have about the special then.

The intent is not to have people dissapointed and complain, if you have a problem with the cover send it back for a refund and I'll pay for the return shipping.

jeff

BBRINT
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

DUST COVER

Post by BBRINT »

TERRY-IM AGAIN SORRY YOU HAD ANOTHER BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TIMS--IT SOUNDS LIKE NO MATTER WHAT WE DO ITS NOT GOING TO BE RIGHT WITH YOU--AND APPARENTLY YOU WANT TO VENT YOUR FRUSTRATIONS WITH THE ENTIRE CBX COMMUNITY AND THATS OK --EVEN THOUGH YOU WERE DISSATISFIED WITH YOURE 1ST ORDER YOU GOT WHAT YOU ASKED FOR(AND PERHAPS A LITTLE MORE )AND WERE INCONVENIENCED FOR HAVING TO RETURN THE EXTRA PARTS--OF WHICH I PRESUME YOU WERE COMPENSATED FOR--THE SECOND TIME YOU RECEIVED THE WRONG PART OF WHICH AGAIN I PRESUME WE CORRECTED (AND YOU LIKE ANYONE ELSE WHO GETS A WRONG PART WERE INCONVENIENCED AGAIN)--NOW THE 3RD TIME YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH OUR DUST COVER OF WHICH WEVE SOLD 10-12 ALREADY AND YOU ARE THE 1ST PERSON WHOS NOT HAPPY---TERRY IVE BEEN RIDING BIKES FOR 35 YEARS AND OWN ABOUT 9 BIKES CURRENTLY AND NEVER HAVE I EXPECTED A DUST COVER TO HOLD UP TO OUTSIDE ELEMENTS--NOR BE AN IMMACULATE FIT FOR 35.00---A DUST COVER IS JUST THAT-- A COVER(REGARDLESS OF WHAT ITS MADE OF )THAT FITS LOOSELY OVER A BIKE TO KEEP THE DUST OFF YOUR BIKE WHILE IT SITS IN YOUR GARAGE OR SHOP FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME --OF WHICH THIS COVER DOES JUST THAT--AND IS MONOGRAMED WITH THE CBX LOGO--FOR A LITTLE CUSTOM TOUCH--I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU PERSONALLY TO SEE IF THERES ANYTHING WE AT TIMS CAN DO TO MAKE YOU A HAPPY CUSTOMER --AS WE WANT TO ENSURE EVERYONE WHO OWNS A CBX CAN BE CONFIDENT THAT WHEN YOU DO BUSINESS WITH US YOU WILL BE SATISFIED--YES WERE NOT PERFECT AND DO MAKE MISTAKES LIKE ANYONE ELSE BUT WERE WORKING TOWARD PERFECTION IF THATS OBTAINABLE---THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON ---BILL@TIMSCBX PS-- I BOUGHT THIS COMPANY 2 YEARS AGO AND RESURRECTED IT FROM THE DEAD AND HAVE INVESTED OVER 100K OF MY PERSONAL MONEY ALL TO ENSURE THAT THE MIGHTY CBX HAS PARTS AVAILABLE FOR YEARS TO COME--ALL I ASK OF YOU GUYS IS TO WORK WITH US --DONT ALLEINATE THE X COMMUNITY FROM SOMEONE WHOS SPENT SO MUCH TO BE THERE WHEN YOU NEED US

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Terry, I have purchased many parts of the years with Tims and never had a problem returning a item that I did not want or change my mind about. I hope someday maybe Tims could get the older style bike cover that also had the CBX logo on it. They had 2 sizes 1 for the early and the late models. It fit like a glove. Terry maybe ask them about this cover and maybe they will be able to get or know were you can. Louis

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Problems with CBXers or Vendors..........This Is What To Do

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

viewtopic.php?t=1510

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Click the above link to read the process for resolving matters with other CBXers or CBX Vendors.

Questions: PM me or call me 800-869-5763 then 1, then 4331 mid morning or late afternoon eastern

Mike

KEYSMAN
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by KEYSMAN »

Terry, I have a Dowco model CS-100 for my 81 and it fits just fine, although I have the 2" taller windshield. It covers the front under the discs, covers the sides to the bottom of the pipes and covers the rear all the way down to the bottom of the rear tire and I have a backrest on the seat also. I bought it at the local Honda dealer and paid just under $80 for it. It has protected my bike even in bad thunderstorms and has never leaked. Comes with a life time warranty too. I can't find the box it came in but I think it's called a Guardian. Might want to consider it.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Thanks all, I've found one. A Nelson Rigg Deluxe All Season XL in black and silver with large o rings on the bottom edge with self hooking under ties (not needed unless very windy) and elastic bottom. It also has a soft windscreen liner and vents that are designed to stay open w/o leaking in any water. Fits great and I have the tall windscreen. Only $35 thru

http://www.accwhse.com/photos/nelrigg_d ... _bksil.gif

and it arrived in three days, $46 delivered. The Dowco I'd been using, if its an XL, is huge and needed to be bungeed underneath to stay on. Great, now I can venture up into the great northwest next month on my 4000 mile tour.

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Paper CBX Cover

Post by sixofsix »

Terry:

Occasionally CBX vendors offer crap products to ICOA members. You got a paper cover worth say .0004 cents for $35.00 USD. You can bet TIMS will specify "Crap CBX Paper Ill Fitting Indoor Bike Cover" next time. If you had not complained, TIMS could have sold many more of these "Crap CBX Paper Ill Fitting Indoor Bike Covers". You are a bad person. If not for your honest opinion, possibly hundreds of these "Crap CBX Paper Ill Fitting Indoor Bike Covers" could have been sold. May you rot in hell...

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

TIMS Paper M/C Covers.

Post by sixofsix »

It has now been a few days since my last post on this matter. I now have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. I have personally bought parts from TIMS, CBX Performance, Louis, the ICOA, etc. with no problems. As there are not too many CBX suppliers sticking their necks out to undertake this high risk task, I realize that we need to work with them to ensure our CBX parts supply never dries up. I'll bet Mr. Brint bought the customized covers and realized the quality was not great, but worth the $35. I also agree with Mr. Barone that the customer should have tried to work this out in other ways first. And maybe, just maybe Mr. Brint should have worked it out off-line with the customer. All that being said, I'd like to apologize to Bill for my sarcastic remarks which did nothing to defuse this situation. And thanks to Mike Barone for not giving me a blast which I so richly deserved. I guess being #0006 does have it's perks. :D Let's ride with pride.

Regards, Tony

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”