Hot weather riding

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Hot weather riding

Post by ksquared »

A thought just occurred to me that maybe it might not be wise to ride my CBX in really hot weather. The other day it hit 118 (48C) in the Phoenix area. I had no desire to ride in that heat but I got to thinking it might not be good for the bike. I have no idea what Honda engineering would have thought about such an environment. I just wonder what an air cooled bike can take considering how hot the air was. Sitting at a light is tough on the rider. I wonder how well the bike can take it.

I'd consider attaching a temperature sensor on the bike but I'm not sure where the best attach point is. Oil temp, head temp? And what temp is bad? Just some idle thoughts. btw I do have a liquid cooled bike that should be able to take it. :-)
79 CBX - 75 CB400F - 71 SL350 - 07 Buell XB9R - 03 Harley V-Rod

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Hot weather riding

Post by 512tr »

A oil temp gauge will give a good indication if you running to hot. A easy way is to put the sensor in the oil drain plug or find a sensor with the same size and treads as the drain plug. see this tread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11783&hilit=oil+temperature-

There are also tee fittings witch you could put in between the oil cooler hose, and connect the sensor to..... I did put the sensor in the rear of the oil sump.
Skjermbilde 2023-07-18 133628.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

JoeInTuc did this, and wrote it up here. I am in the habit of flicking the kill switch off as I roll up to lights in this weather, Of course we can now filter up to the front in AZ, and I do at every opportunity, and then I shut it off.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ksquared
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ksquared »

Thanks for the good ideas. I like the idea of an oil temp gauge. And Noble you live in a much cooler place than Phoenix - like maybe 4 degrees haha. I used to live in Tucson.
79 CBX - 75 CB400F - 71 SL350 - 07 Buell XB9R - 03 Harley V-Rod

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

ksquared wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:39 pm
Thanks for the good ideas. I like the idea of an oil temp gauge. And Noble you live in a much cooler place than Phoenix - like maybe 4 degrees haha. I used to live in Tucson.
I live in Oro Valley, which is consistently a few degrees cooler than nominal Tucson temps, and as you know so well, those few degrees matter in temps like we're having this year. Hang in there and pray for monsoons!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Ride by this shop 😊
Skjermbilde 2023-07-27 061208.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”