2000 km of ownership

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 km of ownership

Post by Bill Kemp »

Well folks:

I have just about put 2000 km on the lovely 1980 CBX I acquired. It has been a joy to work on the bike (with the great assistance of fellow forum members) as well as a joy to own and ride the bike.

As you are aware I did all the work myself and I am extremely pleased. The bike runs so nicely. It is so smooth and powerful.

Today when I was at a Tim Hortons coffee shop two guys came over to look at the bike. I had just started the bike and they both asked what it sounded like when it was running. I laughed and said it is running now. They were amazed at how quiet and smooth the engine idled. (They must be Harley Guys). My father in law who was with me commented at how he cannot believe it is a carbureted bike with 6 carbs because it is so smooth and quiet. Gotta love getting the carbs balanced and tuned up nice. It makes all the difference in the world.

Some additional info for you:

I had some small holes in the exhaust pipes and just did not want to dish out $1500 US plus shipping and taxes for a new set of pipes this year so I tried some JB Weld High Heat on the pipes. You have to clean the pipes and roughen the chrome area with some sandpaper to apply it. This did not bother me since I will eventually buy new pipes.

But I have to admit the stuff is working great. The pipes sound great. They are nice and quiet and when throttling up you get that lovely F1 race car sound.

The repair is not the sexiest looking but it works. Here are some photos.

Also I put photos of the original km on the bike when I got it and the km on it after today's 260 km ride.

Thanks guys.

Take care

Bill Kemp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bill Kemp on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: 2000 km of ownership

Post by bobcat »

Congratulations on becoming a "conductor of the orchestra" ! Sweet music.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Isn't it great how all the money, time and effort spent on the bike can disappear with a long ride in the country.
Certainly these bikes garner a lot of attention when parked. So many times guys have told me that they had one or their buddy had one just like it....only to realize they were talking about a four cylinder Honda.

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Hi Steve:

Yes the old bikes get a lot of attention. I restored a 1975 Honda CB750 and it is a stunning looking bike. I had all the chrome parts re-plated. The original paint on the tank and covers is lovely. I disassembled the bike completely and had the frame powder coated. I rebuilt the top end and repainted the engine and polished all the aluminum. It is spectacular looking.

All the guys that see it ask if I owned it since new.

I love riding that bike as well but it is no where near as smooth riding as the CBX
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”