Re-Commissioning CBXs

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re-Commissioning CBXs

Post by daves79x »

All - relating to some recent discussions about recommissioning CBXs that have sat for years:

I recently had the pleasure of recommissioning two special CBXs. Both owned by a friend in Canada, I don't think he is a member here.

The first was a 75-mile '81 that had been a former school bike. Not much had been done to it at the school, the engine had never been opened. Much was assembled incorrectly and the carbs needed rebuilt, but it is a near perfect cosmetic and mechanical bike. It runs and rides as new.

The second was a Canadian-spec '82 that had never been started since it left Japan. The owner expressly did not want the dealer to start it, just assemble it and he stored it for many years. The next owner apparently turned some gas into the carbs and let it sit, so the tank and carbs needed cleaned. Forks and brakes rebuilt. A valve check showed 4 tight valves - on a brand new bike. A dealer once told me you had to check them out of the box, then again at the 600-mile checkup.

It took me half a day to remove the Cosmoline from everywhere on the bike.

The bike started up like it had run yesterday. Smoked quite profusely for a while, I think between the fogged engine and oil in the exhaust. It is amazing how tight and quiet a new CBX is.

The owner wants to ride both bikes a few times per year and wants them kept in running condition.

My real point of the post is that I had over 60 hours and $750 in parts to recommission two BRAND NEW bikes. What do many of you think it takes to properly recommission a bike with some miles that has sat for 30 years? It's no small task if you want a reliable, running bike when you're done.

100 hours is usually a minimum for doing such a bike, there are no shortcuts or free lunches. As I've said many times before, you'll be doing all of it sometime, might as well get it all out of the way up front.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Re-Commissioning CBXs

Post by wyly »

60 hours 100 hours? Those are big numbers if you were charging the typical shop rates around here, $100-130 per hr.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

We told customers to expect $4-5K USD for the work.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

wyly wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:08 am
60 hours 100 hours? Those are big numbers if you were charging the typical shop rates around here, $100-130 per hr.

For those folks that can't do the work themselves, they need to understand that, that's the cost of admission.

Personally, I treat CBX's like a vintage Ferrari. Other "mechanics" treat them like a Briggs and Scrap'em lawn mower.

The choice is up to the customer.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Someone recently mentioned about rebuilding/recommissioning and recommended doing all the rear suspension bushings on the prolinks. Definitely good advice. Brings to mind a question for information to anyone doing this: Does anyone know a source for all the seals involved. When I did mine about 5 or 6 years ago, all the seals were crazed and cracked. II managed to get what may have been some of the last oem out there. Any sources for people today? This would be good info for newer members. Bushing and pin info might be good/useful, too. Especially, the two large ones. If lucky, the wear might only be a few microns under the limit. But, seals should certainly be a good thing to replace.

I;m sure some folks would appreciate any info someone may have.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

I recently went through my Prolink suspension and sourced the bits I needed. Only the seals are still available at Honda (part #91262-MA0-015 @$18 Cdn - you need 12). Bert at Six Centre had the bushings (but I don't see them on this website now?), but the pins are unobtainium. Louis has NOS and some used that helped me out.

Even though my bike had low miles (6,400) all the bushings/seals on the dog bones were completely dry and worn, the 4 on the swing arm were in OK condition. Not an inexpensive venture especially when you throw in a new shock...
2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

JLeather
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by JLeather »

shiskowd wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:46 pm
I recently went through my Prolink suspension and sourced the bits I needed. Only the seals are still available at Honda (part #91262-MA0-015 @$18 Cdn - you need 12). Bert at Six Centre had the bushings (but I don't see them on this website now?), but the pins are unobtainium. Louis has NOS and some used that helped me out.
Good thing I've got a lathe πŸ˜€

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

CBX-tras wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:42 am

For those folks that can't do the work themselves, they need to understand that, that's the cost of admission.

Personally, I treat CBX's like a vintage Ferrari. Other "mechanics" treat them like a Briggs and Scrap'em lawn mower.

True enough but there's a lot you can do yourself with a little mechanically ability. For the really tricky stuff I've found a superb mechanic, still pricey but keeps it within a budget I can afford.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:32 pm

True enough but there's a lot you can do yourself with a little mechanically ability. For the really tricky stuff I've found a superb mechanic, still pricey but keeps it within a budget I can afford.
I encourage all of my customers to do the stuff they can do and leave the critical stuff to the experts. We've all been on the other side of the checkbook.
However, some of them don't know which end of the spark plug to screw into the hole.

Know when to tag-out.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Very well-said JR!

Dave

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

daves79x wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:46 am
What do many of you think it takes to properly recommission a bike with some miles that has sat for 30 years?
I think it takes whatever someone who's done lots of them well says it takes.
It's no small task if you want a reliable, running bike when you're done.
Sound like it's the same as anything else in life - there's no way around doing stuff right.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the time capsule bikes! It's cool to see that someone who has so much experience working in such a specific niche can still find enjoyment in the process or the product.
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:22 am
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:32 pm

I encourage all of my customers to do the stuff they can do and leave the critical stuff to the experts. We've all been on the other side of the checkbook.
However, some of them don't know which end of the spark plug to screw into the hole.

Know when to tag-out.
And even some "experts" don't know what they're doing I learned that lesson the hard way.
While in search of a a real expert I appreciated the candor of the service manger at a local Honda dealership. Gesturing toward his staff on their lunch break "I'd like to help you but there's no one there over 30, they wouldn't know where to begin with a CBX."
But I'm in safe hands now, an old skool mechanic with experience on the WSBK circuit, money very well spent.

Return to β€œDaily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”