Any Clue On How To Install Raask Rearsets?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: Any Clue On How To Install Raask Rearsets?

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Here is an earlier iteration when the lump was still on 18" wheels and you can see how far up and back the Raasks push your feet. It's definitely not a full racer crouch but it does push your body weight forward and that improves grip and feel. The wheels are boomerangs off a Bol Dor 1100 fitted with custom made cast iron rotors running Conti Race Attack semi slicks - definitely the best race tyres for the CBX if you are on 18's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If the rear wheel was an 18" it did not come from a CB1100F. It could have been off a CB1100R, but as it is silver, it was most likely off a non-US CB900F
Just a little tidbit in case someone tries to copy this set-up.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I acquired those wheels from an ex proddie racer on the NSW Central Coast EMS. I can't immediately recollect his name but he was one of those successful factory production bike racers like Gardner who seemed to be everywhere in the 80's and he still occasionally pulls on the leathers and turns up at the track at historic meetings.

He had successfully raced CB's for Mentor M/C's in the Castrol 6 Hour. He told me they were off a CB1100 altho' obviously not both off the same bike. I don't know about the differences between the Oz versus US Hondas but I think we often received models similar to those sold in Europe. Sometimes however, they were specials for our market. I know that Honda did a lot of development work in Oz where the CB100R (Honda's first serious attempt at a production racer was developed by Jim Budd in proddy races like the Castrol 6 Hour.

Ducati also won a Castrol 6 hour with Ken Blake and a very special for Oz round case desmo that later became the basis for their racing bikes (and I might add, persistent cheating - everybody did it but they were the most notoriously indulged factory race team ever).

Kawasaki also did a lot of development work in Oz. Shortly after I retired from racing in the 70's Greg Hansford and Neville Doyle took Team Kawasaki Australia to Europe and beat the factory GP team and Kork Ballington. Doyle's HIR's were faster than the factory KR750's. TKA carried that thru' into the World Supers.

Yamaha also sent out their top factory riders to Oz to develop the OW 750 2 stroke racers. I remember a guy called Taira who did pretty well here on one of those bikes, especially at Bathurst where he had had some great dices with Warren Willing on a similar bike and Greg H and Ron Toombs on the HIR's. Warren went on to manage Suzuki's GP efforts as did my old fellow Phoenix club racer Jerry Burgess but not for Suzuki (JB produced more world GP titles for Honda and Yamaha than anybody else has ever come close to with riders Gardner, Doohan, Stoner and Rossi).

Taira was unusual because the Jap riders can be as fast as any but they don't seem to like travelling much. There were a lot of internationals racing in Oz in those days and I well recall Pat Hennen who did the full Marlborough Series in NZ and Oz and it prompted Mike Hailwood out of retirement to race a Ducati at Bathurst. I was there and altho' it was a forgettable race he then had the jellies to go back to the IOM where he famously won the Senior TT on Wynne's specially prepared Ducati.

After Barry Sheene retired and moved to the Queensland Gold Coast he also encouraged Suzuki to take an interest in Oz racing too and that gave a flurry of local talent a shot at the big time.

All of which is a round about way of saying there were a lot of specials developed in Oz during this very active period of production racing. So who knows where those wheels came from originally EMS. All I can say is they are now sitting snugly in a shipping container down on the edge of the wild Southern Ocean.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CB1100F had 17" rear wheels in all country variations all over the world, albeit different designs. CB1100R had 18" front and rear. There was a CB900F Bol d'Or with silver 18" rear in certain markets. In the 11R community a gold 18" boomerang in 3.5" width is very much sought after as it was a really rare option on that bike

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I bow to your deep knowledge of Honda history sir.

altho' this thread started out on the issues involved in the Raask rearset mod I will take the opportunity to attest to the relative ease of the 18" wheel modifications if you are not too wedded to keeping the bike in concourse original spec. They provide improved tyre choice and handling without the more radical chassis and suspension changes necessary when going to 17's.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is not a matter of deep knowledge..
Check this out Honda CB900 F2 Bol d'Or 18" rear silver boomerang

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model ... 2C_82.html

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

At the risk of stretching a virtual friendship and because I have time on my hands EMS I will admit to my failings in researching Honda taxonomy.

This was a thread about rear sets after all, but on the subject of what is behind us and Antipodean development of motorcycles in the day I submit further evidence in the form of the Dunlop 591 tyre. I recall doing a long and dusty trip on these tyres all the way down the US and Mexican Pacific coasts on a GS1100G.

It may be a little known fact that this tyre, so popular in the US market as to be ubiquitous on American sports bikes of the period was developed by one of my old competitors. Perhaps I overstate my relevance because altho' Warren Willing and I were sometimes in the same races we were not really racing each other. In any event. Warren, now departed, together with Kiwi Iain Pero (these days a senior aviation industry executive) developed that tyre for Dunlop USA in Australia in our production races in the 80's.

Apart from Oz, Japanese and some Pacific racing where he starred Warren did not have the same international success as a rider as previously mentioned Greg Hansford but like Jeremy Burgess he was a behind the scenes architect of the contemporary MotoGP scene. For decades he was the technical brains behind the Suzuki GP efforts and a masterful 2 stroke tuning artist.

However, I do not have any idea of who, when or where Raask rear sets were developed. Unusual name tho'.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Raask rear sets hail from Sweden, originally.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”