If my CBX could tell it's story

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: If my CBX could tell it's story

Post by NobleHops »

Greetings from Tucson! And welcome to the group, and CBX ownership. You're a nice addition to this forum.

The alternator is a weak spot on the CBX, and we have been doing a lot of work on those this year, refining our solution to that on the bikes we service. We can offer you a set of replacement clutches plus a shim to restore proper function of the drive side of it, or we can service the entire thing for you if you like, including machining the rotor, new brushes, bearings, seal, refinish the housings, etc. Or we'll just show you how to do that yourself. Please be in touch if we can help.
20190930_112006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nils, how a NSFW warning when you post pics like that.
Gorgeous!

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

NobleHops wrote:Greetings from Tucson! And welcome to the group, and CBX ownership. You're a nice addition to this forum.

The alternator is a weak spot on the CBX, and we have been doing a lot of work on those this year, refining our solution to that on the bikes we service. We can offer you a set of replacement clutches plus a shim to restore proper function of the drive side of it, or we can service the entire thing for you if you like, including machining the rotor, new brushes, bearings, seal, refinish the housings, etc. Or we'll just show you how to do that yourself. Please be in touch if we can help.
20190930_112006.jpg
Hey Nils... :text-thankyouyellow:
Thanks for the info regarding the alternator. In fact, I've followed some of Your earlier posts documenting the manufacturing issues regarding the clutch interface, and machining required to get a flat working surface. In the process of assessing my own bike, I've ordered the seal, O-rings and brushes. Once the parts arrive, I plan on digging into the unit and see what I've got. If my clutch is too bad to restore, I may need Your help with replacement clutches and shims. Also, I wanted to go ahead and replace bearings and planned on sourcing them locally, but have yet to do so. If I strike out on them, I may need Your help there too.
I plan on being in touch as I can regardless, looking forward to getting to know You all better...and am glad to be a part of this group of enthusiasts.
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Bearings are easy. 6201 and 6203 at your friendly bearing supply source. Seal is a common item too, but I don't recall the dimensions. Last ones I bought were genuine Honda for cheap.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Everything Rick said. Nice to have you with us and I would be happy to help you with your alternator or anything else if I can.

N.
Nils Menten

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

Rick Pope wrote:Bearings are easy. 6201 and 6203 at your friendly bearing supply source. Seal is a common item too, but I don't recall the dimensions. Last ones I bought were genuine Honda for cheap.
Thanks, Rick. I do have a local source, and one of the bearings is also available through Deere where I work. The seal was a good price from Honda, so it's coming from there with the rest of the things I need. I appreciate the good help here... :-)
You begin cutting your wisdom teeth the first time you bite off more than you can chew...

portalespeanut
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by portalespeanut »

NobleHops wrote:Everything Rick said. Nice to have you with us and I would be happy to help you with your alternator or anything else if I can.

N.
Thanks again, Nils. I'd like to get out to Your business one of these days and check things out...hope to connect someday. I'll holler if I need clutch disks... :text-thankyouyellow:

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You are most welcome, anytime.
C764AE3B-9AC6-418B-9D34-9D4F0D5B3C60.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nils Menten

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”