zero miles '79 cbx claim?

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: zero miles '79 cbx claim?

Post by daves79x »

Do we know that every CBX came out of the crate with 1.8 miles? I think not.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

No. Here is one with 2.8 miles

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

We've been dealing with example of late models/school bikes possibly. Maybe someone that put the '79s together out-of-the-crate remembers how they came through? Can we say definitively they too had 1 or 2 miles showing? Does it matter? I don't know.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't get the ongoing discussion..??
Are you saying that the bikes coming out of the factory had no miles on the odometer?
The 81 in the crate was obviously not a school bike. My picture of the 2.8 mile odometer was also not from a school bike. It came off a bike that was bought new and has not been ridden by the owner. It was picked up at the dealership and trailered to its new home, where it still sits today.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm saying, who cares? A very low-mile bike, whether 1.8, 2.8, 4.5, whatever, still in showroom shape with all the other qualifying distinctions of a 'new' bike, is worth whatever anyone will pay for it, whether that be $20K, $30K, whatever. The suggestion was that some kind of fraud was being perpetrated by someone offering a 'zero-mile' CBX. I'm sure the term was relative and the Carolina bike indeed does have a couple of miles on the odometer. I agree that any bike showing actually zero miles has had the speedo replaced, but I've not seen evidence that that is what we're talking about here.

Dave

Rocker81
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Rocker81 »

Bought mine from a Dealer that had it in storage all these years. Yes there is very minimal mileage showing. I am riding it and enjoying it.. for the couple grand more I may or may not have got if I sold it like this just wasn't worth it to me. I was just glad to find one like this and bring it to life. Its got around 1600 miles on it now. Take it out on nice days. Not planning on putting a ton of miles on it but will ride it on a weekly/monthly basis to keep it fresh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PAST:
75 Kaw 900 Z1 drag and street bike
82 Kaw GPZ 1100
85 HD Low rider (1st Hawg)
83 Kaw GPZ 750 Turbo
93 Kaw ZX1100
96 HD Standard Bagger, 96" Stroker with Nitrous 125 hp
02 BMW K1200LTC
04 Triumph Rocket III 140 hp
05 Triumph Rocket III Classic
09 HD Standard now custom Street Glide
10 Triumph Bonneville Café Type
NOW:
2018 HD Road Glide Special
79 Honda GW 1000 naked museum bike.
81 Honda CBX had Zero Miles, in storage since new, serviced and am now riding, and loving it.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Wow. Very nice indeed.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”