My Clutch Confession

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

My Clutch Confession

Post by desertrefugee »

OK guys. This is a fully open kimono moment for me. I don't have to air my dirty laundry, but for the benefit of others, I think it's worth it.

It may have passed unnoticed that I complained about my clutch going away soon after getting my '79 on the road after a 10 year slumber. It's been running strong, but I soon noticed after getting it back on the road a slipping clutch throughout the rev range and, after about 600 miles, a clutch that would "let go" under heavy throttle at around 6k RPM.

I ordered a clutch kit from Tim's along with springs.

Installed them today. Bought new oil. I won't make an oil thread out of this, but it IS central to my point. I've used Delo (diesel) oil for a coupla decades in my motorcycles due to the lack of friction modifiers. I've always just grabbed a tub, hit the register and used it. Good stuff. But I guess, somewhere along the line, they also began adding modifiers to their blends.

As I was buttoning up my CBX-Z after replacing the friction disks and adding 3 heavy-duty springs, I happened to discover that the Delo oil I'd used had the dreaded citation in the lower hemisphere of the formulation circle indicating that they'd dinked with it and added some friction potion to the mix.

Sheesh. That would explain why, in spite of friction disks that I'd thought looked good while doing the Six Center Rubber Mod last April, the clutch still slipped after reassembly. With the addition of a top-grade synthetic/dyno blend (without the dreaded verbiage in the bottom hemisphere of the formulation circle), the bike now pulls like it should.

And I suspect it would have done the same if I'd noticed my mistake BEFORE doing the clutch.

Proof positive that you're never too old to find out you're vulnerable to rookie mistakes. I knew better and still fell victim...
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: My Clutch Confession

Post by daves79x »

Don't beat yourself up over this - I suspect your plates needed refreshing anyway. I can show you perfect-looking plates that slip. You may have read about starter clutch slipping issues with synthetic oil, but I have never heard of drive clutch slippage due to it. If your drive clutch plates were slipping, regardless of what oil you used, then they needed replaced. CBX stock clutches do not suffer abuse very well. A half-dozen drag strip runs will cook a stock clutch. Money and time well-spent. Enjoy!

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

That sucks , but not to start a OIL thread :sad-roulette: I have a Barrnet racing in my Valk and it will hold on the Dyno in 5th gear but not when Nitrous is triggerd hits the rev limiter instantly, Went back to Honda oil brand it seems to hold better , Got to watch those Moly additives, i was using Moblile One Red cap for a while and was getting slippage on the street, my clutch is now 15 years old LOL , Its way over due :lol:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

maybe the occasional oil thread is good...as we can see from this thread oil technology changes over the years it's probably a good thing to update the knowledge occasionally 8)
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”