The painful topic of Oldschoolcarbs returns

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.

The painful topic of Oldschoolcarbs returns

Postby Ringnalda » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 pm

All, Since Jack of Oldschoolcarbs is now the administrator of the CBX1000 Owners Club facebook page, and also admin on the Honda CB750F/900F/1100F/R, CB-Custom and CBX 78-83 facebook page, he has found it necessary to redistribute his forum drama diatribe that he put together a few years ago.

We all thought/wished Jack had learned from the past and was concentrating on doing a good job for his customers, but apparently he is not satisfied with that. So, enclosed here is a factual statement about my experience with mr. Jack Wagner of Oldschoolcarbs. All of the data mentioned can be reproduced and/or validated to interested parties.

This PDF will in all likelihood be sent to all facebook page admins, who have already received copies of the forum drama PDF from Jack. Believe who you want, and draw your own conclusions. It is not pretty, and casts some doubt as to whether the man is an upstanding member of this community.

Life is too short to get involved with this type of negativity and we sincerely tried to ignore it for 5 years, however it just keeps coming back and it appears that people will believe the 'victim' readily. Feel free to contact me with any questions, if Jack wants to make amends I am all for it, but he needs to publicly admit we had NOTHING do do with his whole Barry Peterson incident, and that we DO NOT have any influence over what is posted on the CBXWorld forums. And burn his forum drama story since that is what it is, a story. I am not looking for support here, I just want to clear my name and others who have been unfairly involved with this situation. I am doing this for fun, and the love of the CBX motorcycle. :text-thankyouyellow:

Feel free to join the facebook group for the CBX owners: Honda Six Cylinder Owners group. You can get there from the International CBX Owners Association ICOA facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HondaCBX1047/

Jack Wagner full.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Re: The painful topic of Oldschoolcarbs returns

Postby RJ CB650 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Oh right, now I am remembering why I stopped coming to the forum. Yay drama....
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Postby Ringnalda » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Tell me about it...

If someone doesn't care, they don't have to read it. It is in response to the PDF that has been making the circles unanswered...

But I'd rather be riding my CBX.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Postby RJ CB650 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Wonder if a way to better converse it. The issue that had frustrated me at the time, and doesnt look so well for the group is that if kept the feed on main site home page full with the topic. Not the best welcome for potential newcomers :-x
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Postby Ringnalda » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Ah I see what you mean, the last posts are shown on the main page. I will see if we can modify that.
Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Postby Dynamohum » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Painful topic returns? I've only read about it here, from you. I have no interest in any other CBX forum.
Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Postby NobleHops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:07 am

I have to back Jan up, because it is unfortunately true. I will offer you a somewhat shorter summary, but first I will answer the question of "Why?". and are we "attacking" Jack Wagner? No, we are not. This is defense, and only after turning the other cheek, and doing our best to avoid several years of childish provocations and frankly vile accusations.

I want you to bear in mind that this is something I wrote 3 years ago, on the heels of another round of provocation. This is as succinct as I can make it:

Yeah, what Phil said. I've held my tongue on this subject for a few years, but now it's time to clear the air.

Jan Ringnalda (ICOA Director) and I both went out of our way to give Jack Wagner a fair shake.

Jack popped up 5 or so years ago offering $279 CBX carb rebuilds, and the reaction among the old timers was admittedly skeptical, given that the parts cost more than that. Jan and I were the two guys on the club website that said. "Hey, this guy is welcome. He gets the benefit of the doubt". Jack climbed up the steep learning curve of doing this work very quickly, did indeed figure out that he could NOT do it for $279, upgraded the quality of his parts, took his lumps as he learned, raised his fees, and in fact I think he has become very good at it. He has by now a lot of happy customers. That is undeniable. Here's what happened in between.

Along the (early) way Jack made a mess of 3 or 4 peoples' carbs, maybe more. I think in most cases he genuinely tried to make it right, eventually, but one guy in particular lost his mind, and made a lot of trouble for Jack. Really unpleasant, nasty stuff. A little of this was visible on the club website before we squelched it off. It was getting ugly, and had nothing to do with the club, so we snuffed the thread, told them to take it private. Jack emailed Jan, and then me, (as I was in charge of the website at the time), and more or less demanded that we stick up for him, delete the negative comments, and suggested that all vendors should be defended from criticism that he felt was unfounded, etc.

Jan and I were in total alignment: You work it out with this guy and the others that were piping up about negative experiences, and your reputation will take care of itself. We also said we would not condone any personal or unsubstantiated attacks against ANYONE (including Jack), in whatever circumstance, and we stuck to that, and always have. We were absolutely fair and even handed, but we were sure as hell not going to censor criticism leveled at Jack or ANY other vendor. No way. And if you read the club website for as long as I have, people have aired grievances at several vendors, and others have responded pro and con. We do not intervene, except in the most inflamed circumstances, and that is usually by locking threads till calmer head prevail. The club does not censor, and does not advocate, although we will speak our opinions individually sometimes.

Jack was unsatisfied by this, and responded by creating a page on his website, wherein he excerpted email dialog between him and Jan and me, plus other editorial of his own creation, totally devoid of context, full of speculation and kooky accusations and twisted in such a way as to make it seem as if we were conspiring against him, with other named and un-named persons. It was fantastic stuff, and I mean that in the strictest sense of that word, that is, concocted of fantasy and delusion and anger and paranoia on Jack's part. We were frankly astonished. Of all the people to smear, we were the two guys that were advocating for the guy.

Around this time Jack created an imaginary friend named Clifford Robles (cliffycbx), that supposedly lived in Santa Cruz, CA, and another ID of a fellow named J Brandt. "Cliff" and "Brandt" both began a frankly weird series of exchanges, on the club website and this one, and via private messages and emails to several people that Jack felt were conspiring against him. It was Jack's bad luck that Jan was passing through Santa Cruz and reached out to meet Cliff, and a short time later, I did too, and in fact I moved there for two years. "Cliffy" ignored our invitations to meet. We were by then suspicious about his identity. Finally I got the bright idea to check the IP addresses the two accounts had posted from, and it became clear that Jack had created his imaginary friend, who he then used to shill for him. I 'quoted' most of his posts here so Jack could not delete them, and the others are archived on the Club site. When Jack figured out that we were on to him, he broke his own cover in the thread linked-to here, saying only that the deception was "necessary". Read the posts if you're interested and make up your own mind.

So he got banned. We had enough on our plates without that, and we said nothing about the smear job on his website, or any of it. But these are the facts, unvarnished. Jan and I can both back them up.

A lot of water has gone over the dam since then, and Jack eventually reconsidered the wisdom of slandering Jan and me and a few others, and at some point he took down the page on his site. Since those early days he's also become quite skilled at doing CBX carbs I believe, although I have no first hand knowledge, but I do know of several people that have had him service their carbs and they have been happy with the results.

But for me? I cannot trust him. That is the gentlest thing I can bring myself to say. I know now that Jack's actions were brought about by fear, and anger, and paranoia, and whatever else he experiences in his mind, and I am sorry for him that his mind works that way, and I say that without a trace of irony or malice, that has got to suck. I'm sorry you experience the world that way sometimes Jack, and I hope you're dealing better recently. It seems that you are.

If you need parts for your CBX carburetors, you can not do better than Randakk's Cycle Shakk. Mike Nixon also has quite a lot of high quality parts. I've dealt with both of them on several occasions, and they are honest and reputable men, and stand by their work.

If you need your carburetors rebuilt, I'd contact Dave McMunn, Mike Nixon, or J.R. Luksik in the USA, Steve Gosine in the UK, or Tony Herd or Roland Skate in Australia. As above, these guys are great guys, honorable. I'd trust any of them with anything.

Jack? It was kind of you to contribute parts to Jouni's project, sincerely. I don't think you're really a bad person, but I hope to never cross paths with you again.
--

That's June in 2015, 3 short months after I incorporated my business here in Arizona. Fast forward to the fall.
I Do Vapor Blasting! http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9881

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

http://www.restocycle.com Ikon shocks for your CBX! https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/collections/honda/honda-cbx1000-79-80
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby NobleHops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:39 am

Sorry, this one is longer, this contains an email thread. The summary is this: In September, Jack Wagner (Oldschool Carbs) created another alias, the third that we know of for certain, this time the guy's name was Ralph Matthias. As is Jack's custom, he created a Yahoo email account, and a Facebook profile. Then he headed over to the CB1100F site and registered himself a new user account, "bigborecbx". Jack made three posts in total on the 1100F site, announcing himself from Paradise California, a retired guy that was putting a CBX back on the road, and about to send me a set of carbs for vapor blasting. If you're a member, you can still see all of this in the links below. You can also find the zombie Facebook identity pretty quickly there too. I never saw the post on the 1100F site, but sure enough, I get a contact through my website from "Ralph", who then sends me a project via Priority Mail, bearing stamps, including cash for the payment, in advance. None of this catches my attention at the time.

I do the project, it all looks great, I send it back, and then a day or so later I get upset emails from Ralph/Jack saying that I have packed his carburetors with media and they are now all messed up and he is headed down to Oldschoolcarbs to get them taken care of. Something starts to smell fishy and so I look more closely at it all.

When he sent me the photo in the thread below, he had finally gone a bridge too far, and that is when the lightbulb went on for me: The EXIF data within the photo dated the photo two days prior to when he said he was at OldSchoolCarbs, and was taken with the same camera that Jack takes his photos with. The blast media is different too, although only a vapor blast geek like me could tell the difference. I contacted the operator of the 1100F site and asked him to compare the IP addresses and sure enough, Ralph in Paradise CA and Jack Wagner in San Jose are posting from the same IP address, and the same IP address was used to register both accounts.

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... ic&t=79940

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... le&u=15062

http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name ... bigborecbx

The operator of the 1100F site is not pleased, bans both accounts. This brings the total up to 5 or 6 web forums that Jack has been banned from for pulling stunts, including this one.

PLEASE NOTE. I am redacting a name below for that person's privacy. Please do not speculate about who that is.

Forwarded conversation
Subject: New message via your website, from bigborecbx@yahoo.com
------------------------

Date: Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 9:50 AM
To: info@restocycle.com

You have a new message:
Via: http://www.restocycle.com/
Message Details:
Name Ralph Matthias
Subject need vapor blasting
Message noblehops, i got your info from a friend. i'm up here in the sierras with a set of cbx carbs that need your magic. somebody looks to have done some media blasting but gave up halfway through. everything's pulled out and theyre degreased. bodies and bowls only, tops are getting polished. i can take some photos if needed so let me know estimated cost and we will get them going
Email bigborecbx@yahoo.com
Sent on: 30 September, 2015
Thank you!

----------
Date: Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM
To: Ralph Matthias <bigborecbx@yahoo.com>
Cc: info@restocycle.com

Heya Ralph,

I'd be happy to help - just did do some triage on a set of Honda Magna carbs and the before-and-after on those was pretty dramatic. I'll attach a couple of photos.

Carbs come out amazing, although I have to work a bit slowly and carefully as the metal is soft. And when they're finished I'll ultrasonic clean them so they're spotless inside and out.

I would estimate a maximum of 2 hours for that, net $100 at 2015 rates, plus return shipping which is likely $20 or so via USPS Priority Mail.

Do you need expert reassembly of those? I can forward these on to REDACTED or REDACTED for you, and they will come back perfect, and ready to bolt on. Happy to help with this.

Mind hitting my website and doing the order form so I capture all the info I need?

http://www.restocycle.com/#!vapor-blast ... form/uvmeb

And if you don't mind telling me who I owe a beer, can I ask who referred you?

Now check out these photos :-)

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

Inline image 3

Best,

Nils Menten
--
Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
(978) 697-5838

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM
To: Nils Menten <nils@restocycle.com>

i'll get them boxed up shortly. been under the gun with work so little time to attend to the toys. i don't remember where i got the link to your shop so have two beers to keep things in balance.
im doing some stuff on the sly from the wife so is it okay if i put cash in with them? sounds like 125 will do it?
thx
rm

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Ralph Matthias <bigborecbx@yahoo.com> wrote:
i'll get them boxed up shortly. been under the gun with work so little time to attend to the toys. i don't remember where i got the link to your shop so have two beers to keep things in balance.
im doing some stuff on the sly from the wife so is it okay if i put cash in with them? sounds like 125 will do it?
thx

Two beers it is!

Yes, that's totally fine re the $ (and I understand), it won't exceed that. Thank you for the project Ralph, I will do my best to delight you with the result :-)

Best,

Nils Menten

--
Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
(978) 697-5838

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 4:25 PM

thx. they'll go out in the not too distant. ill use priority, track info when i have it.

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Sounds great, I will let you know when they arrive. Thanks Ralph!

----------
Date: Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:48 PM

you should have them shortly, like a dope i mislaid the track info. envelope inside with cash and return addy with request for rush unless it costs more

thx rm

----------
Date: Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM

I'll turn them around on Monday Ralph, assuming they are here by then. When did you mail them?

Thanks for the business!

Nils Menten

----------
Date: Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 5:15 PM

went out today, you may have them tomorrow but monday for sure

----------
Date: Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Awesome Ralph, thanks. I'll turn them around same day if I can make the shipping in time, 24 hours at most.

Thanks!

N.

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 7:50 PM

carbs tomorrow the 13th. have number here somewhere but thats the deal according to the wifey. yes i got busted. so i guess im taking her to vegas sometime in the near future.

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 8:47 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Forgive me for laughing, but that's pretty fun. Viva Las Vegas!

I'll turn those around pronto Ralph, thanks for the project!

N.

----------
Date: Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:14 PM

Ralph,

Carbs arrived, safe and sound. Need some guidance from you on something though: They have throttle, choke linkages still attached, including itty bitty cotter pins, springs, peened screws etc. Two of them have the 3 brackets, the other 4 have just 1 (the butterfly). I can blast them as is, and then ultrasonic them, and they will look spotless, but a perfectionist will tell you that in a perfect world those other items should come off too, and that's probably as much as 2 fiddly hours disassembling and assembling them. They could come off after the fact too, eg you can do it if you judge they need it.

Marching orders sir? I want a happy customer, informed too.

Best,

Nils Menten

----------
Date: Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:35 PM

i cant think of any reason not to proceed with them as is. im sure theyll come out well. but thanks for letting me know.

rm

----------
Date: Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:38 PM

OK, I'm gonna get busy!

Thanks again Ralph,

N.

----------
Date: Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 7:56 PM

Ralph,

Everything is packed up and will leave tomorrow via USPS Priority Mail. You should have received a tracking number from them, please let me know if you did not. I don't think you'll have any trouble with those linkages I was concerned about - I was extra careful around them and rinsed and actuated them immediately and they are free of media. All of the steel, including those linkages was lightly oiled as well.

If you're feeling super diligent, take a can of carb cleaner and give a short shot through each of the passages, but I think you will find they are all clear. They were ultrasonic cleaned after blasting as discussed.

Thank you very much for the project, I appreciate the business as well as the trust and confidence, very much!

Best,

Nils Menten

Inline image 1

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM

have intermittent problem with the throttles. one minute itll work and the next it hangs open. the choke arm is also crunchy is the best word i can think of. very puzzling but ill have more time later today to see if i can figure it out.

rm

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Hiya Ralph,

I'm sorry to hear that. At this point I think you're going to have to pull those shafts out - that was my fear about treating the carbs with them in place.

Lesson learned, I won't blast carbs again with those in place. Sorry that didn't work out as we had hoped.

N.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:54 AM

pull the shafts out? do you have any idea what this entails? i have kits and planned to do it myself but mucking with throttle shafts is a little over my pay grade.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:56 AM

I don't know what to tell you Ralph. I think I was pretty clear that there was some risk involved and they ought to be removed, before or after I blasted them. Not sure what else I could have done or said.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM

theres a local guy who knows about carbs maybe he can help. if not i have a call into tims.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Tim's uses OldSchoolCarbs. REDACTED FOR A PERSON'S PRIVACY. There is media in those pivots, in the felt seals. They need to be disassembled and have those shafts removed, media cleaned out, shafts replaced. Given how much you've done I'm sure you can do it -

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:14 AM

you mentioned a couple of guys REDACTED FOR A PERSON'S PRIVACY.. how would one go about that? im hoping to at least get a good ride or two in before the rain shuts us down so time is an issue.

rm

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:17 AM

REDACTED,

Please allow me to introduce Ralph.

Ralph sent me a set of CBX carb bodies with the choke shafts installed, elected not to have me remove them. They seemed free when I finished, but I'm sure you can guess what came next - he reassembled them without removing them and now they are binding.

REDACTED FOR A PERSON'S PRIVACY. I hope that is something you can help him with.

My best regards to you both,

Nils Menten

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Intro sent.

REDACTED I know that is a pain, but I don't think it's all that bad to get those parts out and clean once the carbs are apart. Just fiddly as I said. REDACTED

Ralph, I feel bad. I should have refused the project in hindsight, but I left the decision (and that work) to you. I'm definitely not going to accept carbs with any parts attached again. I don't want unhappy customers.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:27 AM
Cc: Ralph Matthias <bigborecbx@yahoo.com>

Hi, guys. I agree blasting should not be done with the parts assembled. At least that is my "perfectionist" view, for what it is worth. :-) The binding could also however be due to incorrect assembly, and this is actually more likely. The CBX carbs are touchy in this regard. Give me a holler, Ralph.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 9:40 AM
To: REDACTED

Well, that might be less bad. The "crunchy" choke will eventually get better as the media is ground away - it's not that hard. If the throttle hanging is a reassembly issue then we might be in luck. REDACTED - many thanks for your assistance. Ralph, you are in luck to have REDACTED advice.

REDACTED, I'm going to send you my fee from Ralph for your kind assistance.

N.

----------
Date: Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Whatever you need, guys, I will make it a priority. Ralph, let's talk. Guys, I will be out ol town for a week next month. Just a heads up.
--
REDACTED

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 8:29 AM
To: REDACTED, Nils Menten <nils@restocycle.com>

i got oldschools number from bill brint. ill be in the bay area later this week so ill drop them off and well take it from there

rm

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Cc: Nils Menten <nils@restocycle.com>

Thanks for the followup.

----------
Date: Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM
To: REDACTED

Likewise, thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to put a check in the mail today refunding your fees Ralph. Hope you get some sweet rides in before the snow flies.

Best,

Nils Menten

----------
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM

i cant seem to get brake spray to go through the carbs consistently and white granular junk is washing out from everywhere, tiny spheric bits. hopefully oldschool can shed some light but if theres anything to pass along let me know.

----------
Date: Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 10:12 AM

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Ralph Matthias <bigborecbx@yahoo.com> wrote:
i cant seem to get brake spray to go through the carbs consistently and white granular junk is washing out from everywhere, tiny spheric bits. hopefully oldschool can shed some light but if theres anything to pass along let me know.

I'm extremely surprised to hear that Ralph. If you would please return them, I will ultrasonic them again and blast every passage with carb cleaner till I verify that they are absolutely clean. I would ask that you remove those shafts and linkages though before you do. I will reimburse your shipping fees when I return them to you.

My best guess as to why you might find media in the carbs is that there was varnish or other contaminants that trapped it, and once they dried completely out it freed up. That just a guess on my part, and I am as I said very surprised as they were ultrasonic cleaned with heat and aqueous cleaners and then blasted with copious amounts of compressed air and water. But I'll gladly clean them again and follow it with the carb cleaner after I do.

Best,

Nils

--
Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
(978) 697-5838

----------
Date: Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 5:33 PM

had a tutorial with jack at oldschool carb. ill send more photos later im too pissed now to deal with it. media is all up inside them and no way to be sure its all out.

----------
Date: Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM

Wow, that's a lot of blast media. Were you in Jack's shop today?

----------
Date: Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 10:27 AM

This is a big bummer Ralph.

How can I make it right for you?

--
Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
(978) 697-5838
--

Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
http://www.restocycle.com

Ikon Shocks USA
http://www.ikonshocksusa.com
(520) 308-3705
(978) 697-5838 (mobile)

Visit us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/RestoCycleLLC
https://www.facebook.com/IkonShocks/

Nils Menten

http://www.restocycle.com Ikon shocks for your CBX! https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/collections/honda/honda-cbx1000-79-80
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby NobleHops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 am

Jack being Jack, which to say equal parts cunning and paranoid, he has figured out that I am on to him and he goes dark. I confront him with it, saying "knock it off". I also enlist another person that Jack trusts to talk some sense into him and that in fact works. Please excuse me if I point out what I did NOT do:

I did not threaten him. I did not expose his latest ruse. I did not disparage him or his work. I said, I will forgive, but I will not forget.

2.5 years go by. Peace reigns over CBXdom. Many people migrate from the forums to Facebook, including many of the denizens here. Me included. And so does Jack Wagner. That presents no particular problem, and I assume that we have turned a corner, and things really are different as Jack promised me they would be. Jack ingratiates himself with the admins of a pair of groups, the main CBX group and also the main DOHC group, each with thousands of members, and after some period of time convinces them that he'd be a good co-administrator of the groups. I am mostly unaware of this. In fact, Jack had been made admin at the CBX group over a year ago, but it wasn't until Facebook started tagging group admins with little badges by their names that it became clear. Whatever, there was no big problem with that.

Then one day a month or so ago, Dave McMunn commented, (while answering a tech question for the millionth time), that questions like that can be immediately answered with a fast search on the web, including at this site. And I agreed. Bear in mind, I spent something like 1,000 hours rebuilding this site and preserving the content about 8 years ago, that was my contribution to the community after all the assistance I got when I was building my black CBX.

And just like that, Jack became unglued, and started making up new rules that we were in violation of, and resumed spreading his 'forum drama' manifesto that accused me and Jan and a half-dozen other people of conspiracy and being complicit in sending pornography to his daughters' phone (or his phone, depending on the version you read). And then Jan and I were banned from both of the groups where we had been members long before Jack, having never caused any problems.

A few days ago, Jack emailed me to "sue for peace". Keep in mind he asks for peace after banning me from two Facebook groups and smearing me and Jan and probably a few other people. I replied to him with this:

Jack,

Nothing I ever wrote was untrue. You did those things. You created aliases to shill for you on the web forums, you messaged and emailed people under false pretenses. You then accused me and Jan and who even knows who else by now in being complicit in sending porn to your mobile phone, when you know we had nothing to do with that. You've spread the most distorted, malicious lies about us. We did nothing of the sort.

Then we have the entire "Ralph Matthias" game. Did you notice that I never outed you for that?

If you want things to quiet down then quit stirring shit up. Kicking me and Jan off of two Facebook groups and spreading your vile 'forum drama' tripe is just garbage. And you know it. And you continue to spread that document. Yes, I know. Not everyone you sent that to believes it. Some are disgusted and dismayed that you spread it. It does not reflect well on you Jack.

The last email I wrote to you ended like this.

Got your note and the pdf, and Jan and I have chatted. That just is not doable. I don't know why you feel that Jan and I and ICOA owed you some protection now or then, but we don't. We had nothing to do with any of your troubles with Peterson or anyone else, not individually nor did the Club. And we have no interest in rehashing any of it. It would be best if you did not bring that up again. There's not going to be any public statement from either of us, or the Club.

With regard to reinstating you, not yet. A week ago you were running your third ruse on us and distributing your "forum drama", and this has been going on for 4 years - people are pretty upset about that, and that is probably why you are no longer welcome at their web forums. They don't appreciate their forums being misused for your purposes. This is going to just have to blow over, and that means time. You're going to have to be a good citizen and stop the attacks. No public statements, no demonstrations, no more distribution of 'forum drama' documents, no more ruses, no more personal attacks. You need to just stop.

Your way forward is as we offered previously, and that's it. Take responsibility for what you've done, stop doing it, apologize, and promise you won't do it again. And if that's all sincere, and your actions match your words, we can talk again.

One more thing - please don't cozy up to me on Facebook or anywhere else, including that post the other night. I don't mean to be unkind, but I don't want any association with you. If you knock it off I will forgive, that is a sincere offer, but I will not forget. Go your own way, run your business, take care of your customers and your family.

This the way forward Jack, and I hope you take it.

Nils Menten (and Jan Ringnalda)

And you replied like this:

You have my sincerest and most heartfelt apology for everything that's happened.

The doc has been off my website since 2012 and up until a couple of months ago was forgotten.

SInce the Jouni incident I've sent it to three or perhaps four at the most people.

I won't do so again. My word.

I freely admit that I am like a dog with a bone but I'm working on it, truly I am.

And that was 3 years ago. Your name has come up a few times since then, and if you were a fly in the wall, you would have heard me say something along the lines of, "Jack has done well, he hasn't picked any fights, he has made some friends, and I think he continues to work hard at his craft and improve his business". Period. Then I saw you were an admin at the CBX group, and I thought, "OK, Jack is stepping up as a leader. Good for him. He's come a long way from picking fights and running ruses". Nevermind that you don't even own a CBX. And then you undid all that goodness as fast as you had created it.

I don't know what set you off most recently, I assume it was me and Dave referring people to the ICOA forum for the answer to a question that has been answered a million times. It gets tiresome. Next thing I know you are off the rails and deleting posts and making up new rules and ranting at me in messages. I imagine you inferred some vast conspiracy, some nefarious intent. Honestly Jack, don't take this as a put-down, but I don't care enough about you to take any action towards or about you. If you thought there was some bad intent, you were simply wrong. It had nothing to do with you. So I blocked you. You were acting a little nutty again Jack. I didn't provoke you, I didn't respond in kind. I just didn't want to hear any more from you. You're tedious. Sorry, I know that's blunt.

Nobody is out to get you Jack, but you do piss people off when you pull stunts like this. You don't help yourself and you don't create anything positive in or for the community. It's just boring and ugly.

How about this for a way forward? Just stop. You made some mistakes in the past, you overreacted to some things, you did some things that were frankly unscrupulous. But three years ago you owned up to them and charted a new course. That was good. You were succeeding. It was all disappearing in the rear-view mirror till you did this. Just stop, undo the childish blocks on the Facebook groups, and go your own way. [/quote]

Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby NobleHops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:31 am

Last night Jack sent me this. If its not clear, Jack is threatening to resume publishing his 'forum drama' manifesto.

Hmmm.

I have two pdf's now. One just finished updating today and another with some 40 pages of PM screenshots from you two and from folks to whom you have sent under-the-radar dire tales of fraud and deceit. Nothing false, nothing twisted, just your own words (incl Simon--what is it today...Kingston?) in their naked glory.

Also, you can't upload PDF files to FB business pages so you're all in a bunch over something I haven't even done. A few admins have seen it by way of pushback plus one or two other folks but that's it.

Gawd how I wish that we could all lower our weapons and back away.

To that end perhps you could tell me precisely what a true and permanent "cessation of hostilities" would look like and what in your minds would get us to the table. Capitulation is not in my vocabulary.

And just so you're aware, my "apology" carries about as much weight as me apologizing for the sun coming up. One of those things that you say to placate a two year old who's having a tantrum at an awards banquet. But hey, it's all laid out in the PDF so folks can decide for themselves. Maybe they'll come out rooting for you.

Jack:

I know you're reading this, I know this nourishes you somehow. Go ahead. I'm done trying to reason with you and appeal to your better instincts. And as I said to you this morning, do not contact me again. We're done.

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA
(978) 697-5838
nils@restocycle.com

Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby Rick Pope » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Nils,
I applaud your patience and civility. It was not that long ago, you were coming to Jack's defense when he first attacked Dave and Jan, then he stabs you in the back. :text-thankyouyellow:
Rick Pope: ICOA Rally Director.
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.
Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Postby NobleHops » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Rick Pope wrote:Nils,
I applaud your patience and civility. It was not much more than a month ago, you were coming to Jack's defense when he first attacked Dave and Jan, then he stabs you in the back. :text-thankyouyellow:

Thank you Rick. That was a private exchange, but what you say is true. I do not enjoy this, and it was not my first choice as you know. I'm done turning the other cheek, and so is Jan.

Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby daves79x » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 am

I don't want to further muddle things or prolong this torture for other members here. But I'll add just a couple of things. The real reason I set Jack off (no pun....)with my referrals to the forums for more/better info is that he knew there was still a thread on CBXWorld that did not reflect well on him. We here had removed all references to the incident Nils refers to long ago, so there was nothing here to denigrate him. But there was on CBXWorld and he just couldn't have that whilst trying to run his business and administer a CBX forum. Never mind the fact that virtually no one that I may have referred to the forums would ever have a reason to search up his name on ether forum and see that. Paranoia is the only answer.

And then about every other day he Facebook messages me about something or other that's cryptic and that I have no knowledge of, just to bait me into saying something that'll get me banned from the Facebook page. He's really looking for an excuse to ban me too, but I'll not give him one.

So kudos to Nils and Jan for professionally handling this sordid situation and for informing the CBX community. Those that care can take note and those that don't, just ignore it all.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Postby NobleHops » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Just for the record, I never gave him a valid excuse for banning me either. He sent me some rage-text about linking to the forum, and I didn't even respond, I just blocked him. Give his history of stalking and harassing me, I feel like that was a pretty appropriate response. Then he invented a new rule that you can't be a member of the group if you have blocked any of the admins, and that was his pretext for banning me.

Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby 80 cbx dude #6216 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Sitting here at home, watching all this unfold, makes me sad that all this grief and hostility is something that just can't be avoided. Kudos to you Nils for taking the high road and understandably saying enough is enough. Sad to think that this just won't go away. Hopefully at some point this will be water under the bridge and life will go on in a civil manner. WTF.-Mike
80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Next

Return to Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers