Great news & not-great news

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Great news & not-great news

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Larry Zimmer wrote:Yuo on the diese, Rick. If one is doing that length of storage, diesel or kerosene would be the way to go. And, ditto about disconnecting he fuel line!! Interesting experiences with Stabil, et al. I've had a bike sit two years with half a tank and double dose Stabil. Started and ran fine after about 3 seconds cranking. (Wasn't the CBX. Although, it will often sit with half tank for 6 months with no issue.) Not disputing other experiences. Just reporting my own experience. Definitely like Rick's idea the best.
Larry I'm sure you're correct, my experience was when Stabil was the only game in town and there was no other competition like there is now.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

We all have our own recipes we swear by. Most based on experience. If I would store a bike for two years, I would first run gas with Startron through the carbs. Would then drain the tank and take it off (easy job on the CBX), spray some fogging oil into it and hang it up in a dry place (basement). Also spray fogging oil the the spark plug holes. I would NOT drain the carbs.
Most of the fuel additives - incl Stabil - now come in one version for stabilization and a different one for storage. There are also marine fuel treatments (Startron is one of them) which usually yield better results than automotive additives.
Storing a bike for two years is not the same as "winterizing" one and I think it would be worth going through a little effort to preserve the bike.
I wonder what the experts would say you should do with a set of carbs that sat dry on a shelf for two years.... :?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Use aviation gas. I have been told it lasts a long time.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Rick Pope wrote:The reason for having fuel in the tank is to prevent rust. Why use gasoline? Use something else. Diesel comes to mind. Just fill it, and disconnect your fuel line so you don't accidentally run it into the carbs.

+1 on the diesel. Keeps rubber wet (yes I let it go into the carbs...), keeps tanks rust-ree, just don't forget to drain it all out when recommissioning... :D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

A little update: I haven't even moved the bike from winter storage to long-term storage yet and I already miss it. Like, a lot. When that kid comes, he or she had better be super cute. :lol:

I'm gonna be able to ride the Ducati a bit, but when I think about the freakish wail of winding out the CBX, the thought of redline on the twin seems deeply unsatisfying. Oh well, having to rock a Ducati while your tricked-out vintage icon of a Honda sits in storage probably counts as a good problem. :laughing-rolling:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Syscrush wrote:A little update: I haven't even moved the bike from winter storage to long-term storage yet and I already miss it. Like, a lot. When that kid comes, he or she had better be super cute. :lol:

I'm gonna be able to ride the Ducati a bit, but when I think about the freakish wail of winding out the CBX, the thought of redline on the twin seems deeply unsatisfying. Oh well, having to rock a Ducati while your tricked-out vintage icon of a Honda sits in storage probably counts as a good problem. :laughing-rolling:
I can relate to that 100%! my Z has been in the hospital since last september, I have the grampa gixer to ride but it just ain't the same. I was going to take part in the Distinguished Gentlemens Ride last year with the Z but when the engine imploded I lost the desire and didn't join in with the GS :(
Even now that spring weather has finally arrived and the roads are clear I still haven't fired up the GS.

I should have the Z's engine back this month :D
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

A little update on the good end of this thing...

Baby Dawn was born a bit over a week ago, 7 lbs 10 oz, and she and her mom are a picture of health and happiness.

We were lucky with an easy delivery and a great experience overall. Thanks all for the kind and encouraging words since I shared this news.

The plan now with the CBX is to leave it parked this year and next. Conversion to EFI will hopefully start in the winter of 2019 after I get my bonus - I want to convert it before putting it back into regular service. Hopefully I'll be starting to ride it again before we're saying goodbye to 2020. Honestly, it's a tough decision, but it's the only one that makes sense given the realities of life with a 3 year old and a newborn, living in the core of a dense city with a short but packed commute and handling drop-off or pick-up at daycare.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Congratulations, Phil.
You should forget about the EFI and invest in a sidecar for your CBX.
A couple kids and some essentials would probably fit perfectly.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Congrats Phil! You do indeed have other obligations now and for quite a while. I managed to keep my original '79 CBX through all that you are experiencing, so enjoy now what life has presented to you.

Dave

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbxmel »

Congratulations Phil from over the pond. Mel UK #1876 :flags-canada: :flags-usa: :flags-australia: :flags-wavegreatbritain: :auto-sportbike:
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Wow, that is great news Phil !! Congratulations :-)
No sleep at your place for awhile .
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

So...
Your Fathers day gift came early.
Congrats to your wife, :text-welcomewave: to the little one
but for you well... really, what did you do again? :teasing-poke:
:D
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Since the second kid meant putting the motorcycle stuff aside for a bit, we're coping by getting another 2-wheeled toy! The change from 1 kid to 2 makes some of our old approaches no longer workable - I used to ride around with our boy on the back of my mostly-normal bicycle, but with 2 that's a no-go.

This bike is a long-tail cargo machine with a 400W electric assist. The small 20" wheels mean that the overall length is about the same as my other bikes, and it also means that the CoG is nice and low, even loaded up with ~70 lbs of kids in the back. It's also so adjustable that it can be ridden by either me (5'11") or my wife (5'3"). The compact size and the ability for us to share it were the deal-closers. The way that the Bosch assist works, you can basically choose to work exactly as hard as you want. The brakes are mental - I never knew that they made 4-piston hydraulic discs for bicycles, but this machine is rockin' a set from Magura.

It's so nice to be out and about, enjoying the summer, hauling the kids, and commuting by bicycle again. So far, the kids love it - which makes everything a bit easier. I was dead-set against an ebike for a very long time but they make these things for a reason - my wife or I can load this thing up with as much stuff as we want, plus the 2 kids, and go out together without worrying about what hills we may encounter - or holding up the other person riding solo. Consider me a convert.
Phil in Toronto
Pics of Perry, my '79.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sharing family time and getting some exercise, excellent!
I have a sister that lives in Parkdale and she rides her bike everywhere. I am not as brave as you guys riding in Toronto.

desertrefugee
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by desertrefugee »

Great new toy. But stop riding and watch the the game!
'86 VMax, ‘83 ZN1300-6, ‘78 GL1000, '75 750K

"The older I get, the more I understand. Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen." - Anonymous

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”