What happened

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

What happened

Post by whatscooking »

I was about a mile from home when my 79 gave a little jerking around action. First thought was fuel as it went away. I let the wife off and went for a short blast and the problem reappeared and progressed to where I knew something else was wrong. Got her home and smelled the melted wire smell. That got the seat and tank off quickly to find #3 coil terminals dripping. Great I thought, got new coil on, no spark. Dyna pick up system with stock coils.
My question is which probably came first. A- Dyna ignition mucked up and melted the coil or B- coil shorted and toasted Dyna. And I guess C- does running stock coils with the Dyna burn things up. The bike has been running so sweet.

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: What happened

Post by whatscooking »

I guess it really doesn't matter who caused what.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Are you sure no bare connections were touching the bottom of the tank? That easy to do with the connections you make with the Dyna stuff.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

daves79x wrote:Are you sure no bare connections were touching the bottom of the tank? That easy to do with the connections you make with the Dyna stuff.

Dave
He is useing stock coils so I don't think that is the issue.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, but you have to rewire the stock coils for the Dyna set-up and I've seen some pretty 'ingenious' wiring.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Yes I know what you mean. I have seen allot of botched up wiring as well. Mark is not one of those and I am sure it is wired up to spec. I know if you put dyna coils on it takes more room and clearance is a big time issue.

whatscooking
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by whatscooking »

The wiring is stock and clean from the panel up to the stock coils. I wired in a relay to get battery voltage to the Dyna ignition bypassing the switches on the handlebar.
I got the bike with the Dyna already installed. I was of course hoping that the Dyna system would last forever. Anything could of happened to melt things.
I called Tims today and asked a few questions. I was curious so I asked if the Dyna system cares what it is hooked to, stock or their coils, and he said no.
I was considering switching everything back to stock but I need everything so I got another Dyna coming in the mail. I had to do the alteration job to get the timing right on the one that is in there now.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”