New Home For World's Fastest CBX !!

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New Home For World's Fastest CBX !!

Post by FalldownPhil »

I am really thrilled to announce that the Los Leos Bonneville CBX has found a new home.
My good friend Daniel Schoenewald has given it a place of honor in his beautiful collection.
I would again like to thank Tom Neimeyer, Nils Menten, Mario Rovira (MRCBX), and Daniel Schoenewald.
This has really been an adventure for an old has been(me). I feel like this is a great place for the
bike. I think it is a piece of history and deserves to be shared and not put away in a corner of my garage.
Me
Daniel Schoenewald
The Perfect New Home !!
Very Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: New Home For World's Fastest CBX !!

Post by broook »

Whatever happened to Tom and David??? They are two of the nicest people you would ever wish to meet.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That's a great thing you've done Phil! So happy the bike can be seen and appreciated.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

FANTASTIC!! Thanks a million, Phil.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

broook wrote:Whatever happened to Tom and David??? They are two of the nicest people you would ever wish to meet.
They are all doing just fine. Tom and Elizabeth have retired to a beautiful home northwest of Houston and David is raising a family of his own.

I discovered that there is a website dedicated to the adventures of this motorcycle www.losleos.com

Best,
Phil

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Another item to add to the Bucket List.....meet Phil in person and visit the shop of his friend.
You are a good man Phil for being the custodian of what i think is an important CBX.
Also, please say thanks to Dan for providing the new home.

broook
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by broook »

FalldownPhil wrote:
broook wrote:Whatever happened to Tom and David??? They are two of the nicest people you would ever wish to meet.
They are all doing just fine. Tom and Elizabeth have retired to a beautiful home northwest of Houston and David is raising a family of his own.

I discovered that there is a website dedicated to the adventures of this motorcycle http://www.losleos.com

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. Nice to know they are all doing well. I met them at the 99 and 02 Marlington events.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Great bike, great story, great people. Tom, Elizabeth, and David are really nice folks.

And who knew Tom was such a great writer? I started reading the Los Leos site and laughed out loud several times. With Tom's permission, I think it would be a great addition to the CBXPress.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Rick Pope wrote:Great bike, great story, great people. Tom, Elizabeth, and David are really nice folks.

And who knew Tom was such a great writer? I started reading the Los Leos site and laughed out loud several times. With Tom's permission, I think it would be a great addition to the CBXPress.
A funny thing Rick,
I found the Los Leos website by accident. I was searching the internet for information on the bike. I Googled " Texas Mile 2004 " . There I found a photo of the bike and a link to the web site.
I am delighted to have found it. I am also humbled by the amount of sweat and tears that were invested in this project by so many. I have been blessed to be able to share it with a large number
of motorcycle enthusiasts on an ongoing basis. It now has a place of honor and will be enjoyed for years to come. I did a CBX event at The Schoenewald collection about a year ago and had a pretty
good showing with Ian Foster, Nils Menten, and a bunch of us mere mortals. I am sure that we could arrange to do that again, if there was any interest ?? The museum/collection is located in
Camarillo, California. About a 30 minute drive from LAX or downtown Los Angeles. There are also lots of other fantastic bikes there for your viewing pleasure including bikes from Steve McQueen,
Von Dutch, Brough Superior, Vincent, and on and on. Rich Oliver's TZ250 that took every point in every race for two seasons of AMA. You would all love it.
Very Best,
Phil

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

After reading some of the recent posts, I really don't know what to say, I am so blessed to have been a part of the ICOA, the Marlington Rallies and the CBX Community. The CBX people I met have been awesome from the first CBXer I met, Mitchel Banks to the last one I met, Phil Taber. I truly believe that my first CBX saved my life and put me on the path to a better place. The Bonneville bike represented the average CBX'er, the guy that wanted to do something special but didn't have the resources. The Marlington participants who donated money to the effort, the people who bought tee shirts and the guys that went to Bonneville to help out may never know the difference they made in my life, you all had a profound impact on me and my family. Wrenching on the bike gave me purpose, focus, something to get me away from the difficulty my family was experiencing. Seeing what Phil has done with the bike and knowing what he is doing with the parts, brings me great pleasure. I am so pleased about how this played out.

Those that asked about David, he is married to Kerri Lyons (11 years) and has a 7 year old son, Ezra. They live in Houston and he works in the internet software business for cPanel.

Elizabeth and I live NW of Houston near Magnolia Texas. We have a couple of wooded acres around the house, we cut trails through the woods for walks with the kids/grandkids. Every 20-30 feet we have ceramic gnomes or various animals for them to find. If any of you are down this way drop by and visit.

Cheers,
Tom

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

:flags-texas: :greetings-wavegreen:

I have a few photos of the Bonneville bike and your crew at the Marlinton Rally. I'm trying to put a care package together for Phil and the new owner to enjoy, there may even be an Original Los Leos Tee shirt in there, from the box you sent me back in 2001-2002 to sell and provide support for the team. It's my son's and he was 12 back then when I bought a couple for me and him, so the shirt may show 15 yrs of love and wear, but the graphics are still strong.

P.S. You're not getting mine, I still wear it!
Jeff

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

For the record :-) Phil is still the owner of the Los Leos Bonneville CBX.
It is on a long term loan to the Schoenewald collection where it can be
seen by visitors from around the world that are attracted to this collection.
I am fortunate to have Daniel as a friend and willing to display the CBX.
Very Best,
Phil

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

FalldownPhil wrote:For the record :-) Phil is still the owner of the Los Leos Bonneville CBX.
It is on a long term loan to the Schoenewald collection where it can be
seen by visitors from around the world that are attracted to this collection.
I am fortunate to have Daniel as a friend and willing to display the CBX.
Very Best,
Phil
Well then, that Phil guy is Okay in my book!

Syscrush
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Syscrush »

Such a great story, it's wonderful to know that this bike will be out where weirdos like us can appreciate it. :lol:
Phil in Toronto
A cool guy deserves a cool bike, a dork needs a cool bike...
Pics of Perry, my '79.

patzx12
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by patzx12 »

Now that is a great CBX.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”