Cross country CBX ride

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
Bob Andren

Cross country CBX ride

Post by Bob Andren »

Hi Folks, I have a 1979 CBX with just 5500 miles on it and I'm planning to drive it from the Los Angeles area to Rhode Island in June. I'd be interested in anyone's opinions on bike preparation, and the type (and specific brands) of additional touring equipment to add for the trip. For example, is there a luggage rack, windshield, saddlebags, tank bag, etc that have been found to work well on a CBX? What spares should I bring?How far will a tankful of gas get me? All assistance and opinions appreciated. Thanks, Bob Andren

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

---You need a late model w/bags & fairing...... 8)

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I'm planning a 3,500 mile tour thru the northwest this summer in late June on my nekkid 79. I carry a tailbag or two depending, one stacked on the other right behind me. Bungeed and netted. Mine uses some oil and I have had the thought of mailing a few quarts of oil to various motels along the way so I don't have to pack 3-4 quarts or hunt for suitable oil in strange far away places. :D I always carry an assortment of tools, spare alternator brushes, plugs, various lubes (cables and chain) a can of Plexus and a couple of small towels. Be prepared to adjust the chain daily and make sure its in good shape before you leave (bike and chain). Tires must be tip top as well. Fairings will only slow you down. You do wear a full face helmet right? :) Have a great trip!
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”