Rest In Peace Dai-uy (John Davis)

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rest In Peace Dai-uy (John Davis)

Post by FalldownPhil »

This is a repost from reverand ralph on the CBX World site.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:43 am Post subject: Re: RIP Dai-uy (John Davis) Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post
I am very sad to report that I stopped to see John on my way home from vacation today, only to find his 2 brothers at his home. John unexpectedly passed away on 09/16/16 from some type of heart failure after being involved in a serious motorcycle accident on his 1982 CBX on 09/07/16. He was in intensive care for several days with 2 broken arms and a torn up knee. He had been transferred to the regular floor, and then to rehab. One of the brothers had spoken to him a few days prior to his death, said he seemed in good spirits and was doing well. There is a memorial service in his hometown of Chanute KS--here is link to the ROMEO chapter website he road with, and further below is info re: the accident.

The family wants to sell the 2 motorcycles listed ASAP if anyone is interested. John had "restored" the 750 to very nice condition-as noted it is a "sandcast" model.

http://www.romeoriders.com/forums/viewt ... f=9&t=4238

John had posted on the CBXWorld website last month about issues with a leaking headgasket on his 1100RC. The bike is not at his house-fairing pieces were there, family thought he had probably sold it but I told them he would not have sold it without the fairing, so they did some more looking and found the title, so now the question is, where is it? I suspect he may have taken it somewhere to be worked on, but no idea where? Maybe back to Jim Z in Ohio? Does anyone have any info/ideas? Does anyone have Jim Z's phone # or email so that I can check with him? This is the posting he had made re: the leaking headgasket. http://www.cbxworld.com/modules.php?nam ... highlight=

Here is his posting about his 1100RC on this site

Thanks for any help you can give.

I had made several bike trips with John to GA, CO, OH and TN. John was a great guy, always full of energy, a wealth of knowledge re: rock & roll music from the 50s & 60s, and very much enjoyed life. It was a pleasure to know him, and I will miss him terribly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the article from the Chanute Tribune about the accident:

"Chanute Tribune" HomeNews
Chanute motorcyclist injured

Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:37 pm

A Chanute motorcyclist was flown to Overland Park Regional Medical Center from an accident at US-169 and West Virginia Road in Allen County Wednesday morning.

Terry Johnson, 57, Iola, driving a semi with a trailer, was northbound on US-169 and and attempted to make a left turn onto West Virginia Road at about 9:17 am.

John Davis, 75, Chanute, was driving a 1982 Honda motorcycle and attempted to pass the semi, striking it on the driver’s side.
Davis received serious but not life-threatening injuries, according to a Facebook post from the Allen County Sheriff’s Department. The sheriff’s office believes he would have been killed if he had not been wearing his helmet.
The hospital reported that as of 5 pm Wednesday Davis was in critical condition.
The post quotes Sheriff Bryan Murphy as saying “In my twenty-plus years in law enforcement I have many times heard the debate about the importance of seat belts and motorcycle helmets. No matter what your views are, this morning I saw a man’s life saved, not just by our highly skilled first responders, but first by the helmet he was wearing. Everyone has a story, this person will have an opportunity to tell others how the choice he made to wear a helmet saved his life.”

cbxmel
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Rest In Peace Dai-uy (John Davis)

Post by cbxmel »

RIP John. Condolences to John's family. Very sad.

Mel #1876 UK
Bikes since 1960,BMW R27,Calthorpe 350 twin port, 50cc Maserati,C110,S90,CB92,CB77 webco 350 racekit,C72,CB450,TS125,GT380,GT750x2,Harley 45,Ariel Sq4,Vincent Rapide,NorVin shadow,GPZ750turbo,GSXR1100H,FJ1100,RC30,Moto-Martin cbx x4,CBX specials x3,79cbx x 20 & GL1500

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

This is terrible news. No one in the club apparently knew this, as he was the current Membership Director. But none of his family would have any way to know any of his club business. Condolences to his brothers and family.

Dave

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

I am going to the memorial service Wednesday, I will ask the family if they have found anything re: the ICOA.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

This is absolutely terrible news. I am currently in Brazil but just read about this. Unbelievable. RIP John and best of strength to his family at this difficult time.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Ringnalda
ICOA Staff
ICOA Staff

Post by Ringnalda »

Jim Z does not have the RC at this time.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Stunned. So awful.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

A very sad day. Condolences to the family.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

Ringnalda wrote:Jim Z does not have the RC at this time.
thanks for checking. John's brother found Jim's number and talked to him last evening-they will keep looking.

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

I first met John at the CBX rally in Atlanta in 2009. Our community has lost a truly nice man. Rest in peace, John.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

One of the good guys. Saw John last at our rally this past June at West Jefferson. This is tragic to loose someone with his spirit. We'll have you 'with us' always, John, as we seek the happy trails. God rest you. And, thanks for letting us know you.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

My condolences to John's family and his many friends.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

This is very sad news.
We have bought a couple of things from each other over the years and he was always such a pleasant and honest person to deal with.
Condolences to his family.

Mark Crane
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mark Crane »

my son and had the pleasure of meeting john at Fontana village in n.c. last year.great guy.he will be missed.God Bless You and your family.

reverend-ralph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by reverend-ralph »

Updated contact info for anyone interested in purchasing John's Honda 750 sandcast, or his 1983 1100F. His brother (Tom Davis) is not getting reliable cell service in that area. 620-433-5260
I am supposed to be getting more pix of the 750 and will post here. We think we have a lead on where the 110RC may be-I'll keep you posted. It will also be for sale once located.

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”