Tach gear drive

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Tach gear drive

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Just found out that the one mounted on Pro link part # 12431-422-010 is different than
the early models. I lost my tach on a ride this weekend and thought it was the cable, but when
I took it off, it was all chewed up at the base, and the upper flat part of the gear drive was broken off.
I knew I had a spare, but turned out it looked different, even though it drops in fine.

Anyone had similar finding ? are they interchangeable ?
Tx
JP

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Tach gear drive

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

JP, i didn't know they were different but i have an '81 drive in my '79 right now and it is functioning properly.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

JP - are you sure your spare wasn't a reproduction? Some were made and offered for sale about 10 years ago - can't remember from who - CBXMan maybe?

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hey JP, what do you think caused the failure ?

How's things going, I heard Dos Equis offered you The Most Interesting Man in the World gig but you turned it down!

JB

CBXTRA6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBXTRA6 »

Hi Every1
Steve : Good to know ! in my case it would be reverse, the early model gear would go in a pro link motor

Dave : Nope, no repro ! came out of stock (school bike) motor. the Pro link gear tab broke and has a significantly longer shaft at bottom, why? I wonder
BTW Dave, I finally started the process to remove my carbs on the red 79, it will be soon headed your way...

Jeff : LOL ! 2 XX Gig ? How did I miss this one ?
As for the failure cause ? really don't know , Tach was nice and freshly refurbished by Pistol Pete over the winter , cable was almost new, so a
defective part I guess :think:

I know some of you will be heading to Barber soon ( Dave ?) and I envy you ! , enjoy it !
Can't wait for 2018... retirement ... I'll be there !
JP

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”