Cannonball Run 2016

CBXs, new bikes, old bikes, cars, trucks, general chat, off topic, this is the place to post it.
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Cannonball Run 2016

Post by daves79x »

Just a note encouraging anyone close to this year's Cannonball Run route to catch them at a lunch stop or overnight stop. You can find details of the route here: http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/theroute

We caught up with them at York, PA the first night and rode with them the next day and a half, to Morgantown, WV and to lunch at Williamstown WV. Turns out we knew one of the teams from Kansas and ended up helping them work on the bike both nights. Great fun!

It is truly amazing how these guys (and gals) keep these 100-year old bikes going day after day. Details of scoring and each rider's progress are also on the website.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Cannonball Run 2016

Post by Rick Pope »

They came very near me too. Dave, thanks for the heads up.

I rode over to a local Harley dealer to watch as they came in for a lunch stop. I knew one of the riders and talked to him a bit. Some of the bikes looked like new, or better. Others looked like they'd just come out of a barn. All sounded great.

Bit of history: Erwin George "Cannonball" Baker was born in a log cabin near Weisburg, Indiana, about 10 miles from my house. I'm not sure, but I think the route took them very near there.

There was quite a mix of bikes. There were 7 Hendersons, several Excelsiors, lots of Indians and Harleys, and a sprinkling of others.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Anyone interested in stories of old bikes through long distance might find No Room for Watermelons a good read for this Winter. It's a story of a guy who resurrected a 1910 FN and rode it from Kathmandu to Liege -- 8900miles through some very rugged 3rd world neighborhoods. Good read!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Return to “Daily Discussion: By, For & About CBXers”